Greg Cosell talks Wide Receivers and names scheme fits

This can be merged to another thread if a mod wants, but with his overall expertise I thought his insights were interesting, especially since I don't watch ANY college football.

My biggest takeaways:

Really high on George Pickens (like REALLY high) and Skyy Moore

Not really high on Drake London... compared him to Marcus Colston and said all the Wide Receivers he's being compared with (Mike Evans, Mike Williams, Michael Pittman) were better prospects.

Deep WR class. Can find a "starter" (in today's NFL... meaning top 3 guy for your roster) in round 4.

As far as scheme fit for Buffalo he named Jameson Williams and Jahon Dotson as 2 players he'd like in Buffalo’s offense assuming it doesn't change much.

CB in the 1st and Dotson in the 2nd? I don't know if he'll be available there because I've seen reports of him as a 1st round prospect, but he seems more likely to fall there than Williams.

Dotson's pro day was yesterday but I don't think Beane was in attendance... though that doesn't mean much. Apparently it went well and he's excellent tracking the deep ball.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Just now, DallasMac said:

Really like Pickens and agree he's nowhere near a guy like Mike Evans.

Everyone is referring to London as Evans I think. 

I dont see the comp at all. He gets tons of love but hes not even in my top 3 WR in this class. 

In fact no WR in this class would be ahead of Chase, Waddle or Smith based on pre draft college film and study for me

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, DJB said:

I dont see the comp at all. He gets tons of love but hes not even in my top 3 WR in this class. 

In fact no WR in this class would be ahead of Chase, Waddle or Smith based on pre draft college film and study for me

I fixed it.  Was referring to London

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Really like Pickens and agree London is nowhere near a guy like Mike Evans.

I think if a guy like Evans is going to be available at 25 we should move up with 25 and next year's pick to get someone like Sammy Watkins.

• Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This can be merged to another thread if a mod wants, but with his overall expertise I thought his insights were interesting, especially since I don't watch ANY college football.

My biggest takeaways:

Not really high on Drake London... compared him to Marcus Colston and said all the Wide Receivers he's being compared with (Mike Evans, Mike Williams, Michael Pittman) were better prospects.

Deep WR class. Can find a "starter" (in today's NFL... meaning top 3 guy for your roster) in round 4.

As far as scheme fit for Buffalo he named Jameson Williams and Jahon Dotson as 2 players he'd like in Buffalo’s offense assuming it doesn't change much.

CB in the 1st and Dotson in the 2nd? I don't know if he'll be available there because I've seen reports of him as a 1st round prospect, but he seems more likely to fall there than Williams.

Dotson's pro day was yesterday but I don't think Beane was in attendance... though that doesn't mean much. Apparently it went well and he's excellent tracking the deep ball.

There is no way Dotson is there in the 2nd for us. I think late 1st round is his floor for when he will be drafted. I live near Athens; UGA fan. Pickens has been my sleeper pick for wr if we go cb in the 1st, but he'll go early 2nd, so you'd have to trade up to get him most likely. I like Skyy Moore, but he's a smurf. Back to UGA players, James Cook as a mid-round rb would be a great third down back. Don't know about blitz pickups, but he's sneaky elusive and a natural playmaker.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

Really like Pickens and agree London is nowhere near a guy like Mike Evans.

I’m surprised you don’t see it with Drake. He will go too 20 and we’ll be insane not to take him if he somehow gets to 25.

Look at Evans college highlights vs London college highlights. Very similar style and the idea is that London will fill out and add muscle under a pro weight conditioning regimen. I’ll be shocked if he’s not a star WR in 2-3 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Pickens is an amazing talent. As a UGA fan we got glimpses of what he could be between injuries and other issues. Not sure I would taking him in the first round, but someone might. He has the skills to be a round one pick. Right after the season I was thinking he might be a second or third round pick that would be a steal. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

I would love a CB in the 1st & Pickens in the 2nd. That'd be our best case scenario, better than Dotson in the 1st & praying for a CB next time around.

Would probably have to move up for Pickens, but I’d love him with a first round cb

10 minutes ago, 947 said:

I would love a CB in the 1st & Pickens in the 2nd. That'd be our best case scenario, better than Dotson in the 1st & praying for a CB next time around.

We absolutely need CB's! No getting around it! I would trade up and try to grab one of the better ones.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My biggest takeaways:

Maybe Dotson could fall into the top few picks of round 2, but he wouldn’t last anywhere near will the Bills pick in round 2.  That said he’s going in the first.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

I’m surprised you don’t see it with Drake. He will go too 20 and we’ll be insane not to take him if he somehow gets to 25.

Look at Evans college highlights vs London college highlights. Very similar style and the idea is that London will fill out and add muscle under a pro weight conditioning regimen. I’ll be shocked if he’s not a star WR in 2-3 years.

I think Evans definitely had more speed.  It was deceiving because of his long stride. Drake seems to lack separation and rely too much on his size.  More like a Mike Williams.   

2 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

I think if a guy like Evans is going to be available at 25 we should move up with 25 and next year's pick to get someone like Sammy Watkins.

I really wanted Evans that draft.  When we traded I assumed it was for Mack.

11 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

I think Evans definitely had more speed.  It was deceiving because of his long stride. Drake seems to lack separation and rely too much on his size.  More like a Mike Williams.   

I really wanted Evans that draft.  When we traded I assumed it was for Mack.

I strongly disagree about the Evans and London comps.  Evans combine was insane for a man his size.  He was also Mossing and running away from SEC secondaries.  London is not the athlete Evans is or was.  I think the comp is Alshon Jeffry.  For the offense Buffalo runs I dont London as a fit.  He will struggle with separation and isnt a good enough athlete to run away from dbs. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Pickens is an amazing talent. As a UGA fan we got glimpses of what he could be between injuries and other issues. Not sure I would taking him in the first round, but someone might. He has the skills to be a round one pick. Right after the season I was thinking he might be a second or third round pick that would be a steal. 

I think that it is also hard to rate him because he didn't have a top QB throwing to him.

Please don't take this as a dig. UGA are the champs and they deserve it. 

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Agree. Agree. Agree.

Drake London is no Mike Evans and Marques Coulston (who had six 1,000 yard seasons but was never an elite difference maker) is not a bad comp.

I currently have London as WR5.

Agree the WR1 in this class (for me Olave) is WR4 in last year's class. Although they could go as early because overall this is a weaker 1st round than last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Agree. Agree.

Drake London is no Mike Evans and Marques Coulston (who had six 1,000 yard seasons but was never an elite difference maker) is not a bad comp.

I currently have London as WR5.

Agree the WR1 in this class (for me Olave) is WR4 in last year's class. Although they could go as early because overall this is a weaker 1st round than last year. 

Olave or Dotson remind me of Diggs.  Both can play any where.  Look smoother than fast but also both have legit speed.  Olave was the number wr for OSU.  They might have had as deep or deeper wr room than Alabama.  Wilson, Olave, Jnigba-Smith, HArrison, with Jameson Williams unable to see the field and transferred to Bama.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.