The Math Behind the Wide Receiver Blockbusters

Punching Bag

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-math-behind-the-wide-receiver-blockbusters/ar-AAVuk3m?ocid=af-avas

“So, and this is my opinion, when you have a high-priced quarterback, it’s hard to have a high-priced receiver,” the exec said. “Miami has a young quarterback on a rookie deal and they trade for [a high-priced receiver]. Which leads me to believe the inverse is going to be true of Green Bay—I think in the draft, they’ll go outside their normal trend, and take a receiver. Look at what Vegas is doing—swinging hard out of the gate, Josh is the new head coach, and he’s not used to being in a losing situation.

“At some point, that will have to correct itself.”

The exec then pointed out that if you take Raiders QB Derek Carr’s average per year—$25 million—and add it to the real value of Davante Adams’s deal ($23.5 million per over the first three years of his deal), you’re basically at what Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson now cost. And with Carr in a contract year, he’d either have to take a team-friendly deal, or the correction’s coming, eventually.

For those who do not like math a warning math is involved.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Miami did this because they truly DO NOT believe in Tua and expect to be having another QB on a rookie deal here within the next 2 years. They are giving him an opportunity to show he can be the guy, but I don't think they really believe he will be the guy. 

Carr doesn't strike me as a person only concerned with $$$. I think he wants to win. I think that want will outweigh what people clamor he should be paid and he will accept a more team friendly deal in the mid $30M's for a couple of years to do so, giving the team some flexibility. 

• Agree 1

To me this is the most interesting nugget from the article:

”• I like the role that Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy has created on his staff, first for Ben McAdoo, and now for Brian Schottenheimer—a sort of over-the-top role to be filled by an experienced coach, to monitor trends from other teams, and help build gameplans on a week-to-week basis based on the research down on those trends, and those teams.”

The league tends to be a cat and mouse, you zig and I zag situation with time. Defenses adjust to what offenses are doing and vice versa - it may now be a trend to to that on a smaller scale week to week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

nothing new here

teams have a new draftee contract they can invest in higher cost vets elsewhere. When QB is due, you can’t pay the help and have to go young.

that’s  why I think Buffalo goes with WR if the Alabama player falls to them with the plan of possibly not signing resigning Diggs long term. 

3 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Miami did this because they truly DO NOT believe in Tua and expect to be having another QB on a rookie deal here within the next 2 years. They are giving him an opportunity to show he can be the guy, but I don't think they really believe he will be the guy. 

Carr doesn't strike me as a person only concerned with $$$. I think he wants to win. I think that want will outweigh what people clamor he should be paid and he will accept a more team friendly deal in the mid $30M's for a couple of years to do so, giving the team some flexibility. 

Yeah, it's actually very smart of them I think. As you say, surround Tua with offensive weapons that will show beyond a doubt whether he's the guy or not, and if he isn't they can draft another QB with the haul of draft picks they still have in 2023.

52 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

”• I like the role that Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy has created on his staff, first for Ben McAdoo, and now for Brian Schottenheimer—a sort of over-the-top role to be filled by an experienced coach, to monitor trends from other teams, and help build gameplans on a week-to-week basis based on the research down on those trends, and those teams.”

The league tends to be a cat and mouse, you zig and I zag situation with time. Defenses adjust to what offenses are doing and vice versa - it may now be a trend to to that on a smaller scale week to week.

Agreed.  Keep it moving.  

These new WR contracts are unsustainable.  I agree that the WR market will correct but probably not until it overinflates a little more.

I just don’t see how the Bills agree to a $25m + a year contract with Diggs knowing that Allen’s huge numbers are about to hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Magox said:

These new WR contracts are unsustainable.  I agree that the WR market will correct but probably not until it overinflates a little more.

I just don’t see how the Bills agree to a $25m + a year contract with Diggs knowing that Allen’s huge numbers are about to hit.

I think that your logic here is accurate - the salary cap structure isn't going to tolerate having top WR's paid like QB's.  What's going to happen is that smart GM's start to understand that the incremental benefit of having a top WR isn't worth the incremental cost, and the position overall will start to get de-valued.  Similar to what happened with RB's over the last 20-25 years. 

It's not quite the same comparison, but the market correction will occur, and eventually teams will begin treating WR's like more "fungible" assets.  That's going to be a hard lesson to learn for top shelf WR's, but it's going to happen now that these salaries are getting downright ridiculous.  And the value of first contract WR's is going to be even more critical

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Beane said the other day that each of several people on his staff is assigned four or five other teams in the league, and they are supposed to be shadow GMs for those teams, figuring out what personnel they have, what they're availability might be, how the players are used, trends.    Hearing that makes me think that the Bills must also have (maybe it's the same person) people monitoring other teams for the trends you describe.   And, of course, there's intensive film review going on of all teams on the Bills schedule.   

I doubt there's very much happening in the league that the Bills don't know about. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I totally agree, even more unsustainable when you factor how few times a WR touched the ball per game. 

Then we go back and crunch the numbers of teams w production and deep playoff runs and see how many have these high dollar WRs. Very few.

Then to top it off, take a deep dive into actual performance of WRs who got huge payouts after the contract.

My guess is it will look even more nonsensical.

Raiders and dolphins have made some of the singular dumbest personal moves over the years...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Remember when we brought in T.O. to help a young QB that didn't throw the ball downfield?

Remember when we drafted Sammy Watkins to help unlock EJ's potential?

This isn't that much different

Diggs was the same. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Remember when we brought in T.O. to help a young QB that didn't throw the ball downfield?

Remember when we drafted Sammy Watkins to help unlock EJ's potential?

This isn't that much different

Most of Hill's yards are from short passes that result in YAC, not long downfield throws.   Almost perfect for Tua's range. 

Edited by mabden
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Beane said the other day that each of several people on his staff is assigned four or five other teams in the league, and they are supposed to be shadow GMs for those teams, figuring out what personnel they have, what they're availability might be, how the players are used, trends.    Hearing that makes me think that the Bills must also have (maybe it's the same person) people monitoring other teams for the trends you describe.   And, of course, there's intensive film review going on of all teams on the Bills schedule.   

I doubt there's very much happening in the league that the Bills don't know about. 

ty. yeah that's interesting. I like it. As a diehard Bills fan i know virtually everything about each player in real time. I follow the games know who is trending up Bates Brown. Down Ford. In flux Edmunds etc etc and get a feel for who Bills dont want and want.

I know very very little of this inside following of most other teams outside a few players.

So assigning an employee to act like a diehard fan for a few teams and sink into all this info is priceless. No one has time to do all the teams.

31 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that your logic here is accurate - the salary cap structure isn't going to tolerate having top WR's paid like QB's.  What's going to happen is that smart GM's start to understand that the incremental benefit of having a top WR isn't worth the incremental cost, and the position overall will start to get de-valued.  Similar to what happened with RB's over the last 20-25 years. 

It's not quite the same comparison, but the market correction will occur, and eventually teams will begin treating WR's like more "fungible" assets.  That's going to be a hard lesson to learn for top shelf WR's, but it's going to happen now that these salaries are getting downright ridiculous.  And the value of first contract WR's is going to be even more critical

I thought general consensus was a top WR will get you an additional win or two, but a top QB is worth 4 to 5 wins in a season.  Then there's Josh who is worth about 6 or 7 wins, not including playoffs.

As long as there is a steady stream of quality WRs coming out of college, the market will stabilize.  I also see the Adams contract an aberration from a rookie head coach.

Edited by mabden

5 minutes ago, mabden said:

Most of Hill's yards are from short passes that result in YAC, not long downfield throws.   Almost perfect for Tua's range. 

We'll all see how opposing D's play it.  I assume they will pinch up knowing Tua's weakness is the long ball.

Teams couldn't do that with Mahomes.  Hill will help Miami but to what degree remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, mabden said:

Thats not really true though...

Hill had 444 YAC in 2021 with an ADOT of 10.4 in 2021 (Mecole hardman had more YAC on 59 catches).  He had 434 YAC and an adot of 12.9 in 2020.  

Diggs had 326 YAC with an ADOT of 11.1 in 2021.  He had 464 YAC and an ADOT of 10.1 in 2020.  

If they wanted a YAC guy they should have gone after Davante Adams.  They got a faster diggs with worse hands and worse route running.  He's still one of the best WRs in the NFL but he is not really a short pass guy - those guys are really precise route runners or shiftier phone booth style players.  

I also don't think they're running the same RPO heavy offense.  There will be deep crossers and a lot of heavy PA from under center - they likely run more of a shanahan offense.  

Edited by dneveu

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Too bad McCarthy is being exposed as a bad coach on a regular basis

It will be interesting to see how downgrading QBs for upgrades in contracts works over the long haul. For example DeVante and Tyreek are much more likely to be cut or moved for cap reasons if the team fails, their worth may be significantly  impaired for the next contract in this case if the lesser QB doesn’t help their stats the same way. 

not challenging the idea of cashing in now while the value is high, just wondering how it works out long term on average 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.