Clarence Thomas IS conflicted

Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Again, I'm not at all certain why anything I said would lead you to that conclusion.  I'm happy to answer your question (again), but common courtesy dictates that you answer mine:  

Do you feel that Justice Thomas is unworthy of being called inspirational?  That seems to be a sticking point for you, and I don't understand why.  

Not my place to say who inspires people. If he inspires you, that's great. 

Just seems strange to me a person that got ahead by using AA is so supported by people opposed to AA. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Not my place to say who inspires people. If he inspires you, that's great. 

Just seems strange to me a person that got ahead by using AA is so supported by people opposed to AA. 

That's weird, though, because you could have just said that, instead of trying to take us down a rabbit hole on my feelings about affirmative action.   Then, when I was trying to gain clarity, you pushed the envelope a bit and shared how you figured I wasn't "for" affirmative action.  

As for Clarence Thomas, I think views like yours are provincial, short-sighted and apply classic liberal logic.  I also think it's sort of odd that with all the opinions we espouse here on a regular basis, suddenly ole Tibsy won't say whether or not a SC justice might be an inspiration to people.  

His views are shaped on his life experiences, education, and so on.  I don't know that he feels he got ahead "by using affirmative action", I'm certain he feels he was successful because he worked hard, studied hard, devoted himself to his craft, and did what most people simply cannot do.  He's a one in multiple-hundreds-of-millions human being.  

I didn't have those experiences, but I can speak to mine.  I worked for a couple decades in one of the largest corporations in the country and was rewarded with opportunity.   I tried to make the most of the opportunity, and while in a management role spoke occasionally with other employees who thought affirmative action was unnecessary and unfair.   Based on what I saw, opportunity was plentiful for all, understanding that it hadn't always been that way and that progress had been made and additional progress was needed.  I also know my experience might not have been indicative of every situation at every company and surely wasn't. 

I can see challenges with affirmative action, and it would be silly to suggest some hearts were not broken along the way when well qualified people missed out on opportunity because of their skin color or gender.  I also know that had my experience not been so positive generally speaking, I may have felt differently.  It's complicated, really.  

All in all, I think affirmative action was well-intentioned at the onset, was necessary in many ways, and was generally noble concept.  I don't know if it's time has passed as I'm not really involved in with it in any way these days.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That's weird, though, because you could have just said that, instead of trying to take us down a rabbit hole on my feelings about affirmative action.   Then, when I was trying to gain clarity, you pushed the envelope a bit and shared how you figured I wasn't "for" affirmative action.  

As for Clarence Thomas, I think views like yours are provincial, short-sighted and apply classic liberal logic.  I also think it's sort of odd that with all the opinions we espouse here on a regular basis, suddenly ole Tibsy won't say whether or not a SC justice might be an inspiration to people.  

His views are shaped on his life experiences, education, and so on.  I don't know that he feels he got ahead "by using affirmative action", I'm certain he feels he was successful because he worked hard, studied hard, devoted himself to his craft, and did what most people simply cannot do.  He's a one in multiple-hundreds-of-millions human being.  

I didn't have those experiences, but I can speak to mine.  I worked for a couple decades in one of the largest corporations in the country and was rewarded with opportunity.   I tried to make the most of the opportunity, and while in a management role spoke occasionally with other employees who thought affirmative action was unnecessary and unfair.   Based on what I saw, opportunity was plentiful for all, understanding that it hadn't always been that way and that progress had been made and additional progress was needed.  I also know my experience might not have been indicative of every situation at every company and surely wasn't. 

I can see challenges with affirmative action, and it would be silly to suggest some hearts were not broken along the way when well qualified people missed out on opportunity because of their skin color or gender.  I also know that had my experience not been so positive generally speaking, I may have felt differently.  It's complicated, really.  

All in all, I think affirmative action was well-intentioned at the onset, was necessary in many ways, and was generally noble concept.  I don't know if it's time has passed as I'm not really involved in with it in any way these days.  

How would I know if he inspired people? Anita Hill didn't seem inspired by him 

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Why did you ask me then?  I had already said he was an inspiration, and you're acknowledging it's beyond your capacity to render an opinion on such things.  

Because you said he was a giant of American history. I just don't see that at all. That seems more like political bias on your part. 

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Because you said he was a giant of American history. I just don't see that at all. That seems more like political bias on your part. 

Ok, you’re wrong (again) but you didn’t say that either.   I would have said “Oh, ok.”. 

Just to be clear moving forward, you’re not the inspiration guy, but you’re incredibly comfortable telling people who their giants of American history should or should not be? 

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ok, you’re wrong (again) but you didn’t say that either.   I would have said “Oh, ok.”. 

Just to be clear moving forward, you’re not the inspiration guy, but you’re incredibly comfortable telling people who their giants of American history should or should not be? 

You are absolutely correct - how dare Tibs get your giants confused?

21546932-7732061-image-a-67_157488160122

43 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m wrong about what? 

You are not not making sense. Are you telling me that it’s a  fact  that “Thomas is a giant of American history” ? 

Seriously? 

37 minutes ago, BillStime said:

You are absolutely correct - how dare Tibs get your giants confused?

21546932-7732061-image-a-67_157488160122

That’s a “POS of American history” 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

I’m wrong about what? 

You are not not making sense. Are you telling me that it’s a  fact  that “Thomas is a giant of American history” ? 

Seriously? 

Tibs, I’m not responsible for the thoughts or perception in your head.  You have to work that out.   

You were wrong when you suggested my opinion of Clarence Thomas is based on political bias.   You were wrong about my thoughts on affirmative action.  

If you skipped all the posturing and just got to the point you were trying to make, we could have saved a lot of time.  That’s why when you said you didn’t think he was, my response was “Oh, ok.”. 

What I meant by that was, “Oh, ok.”.   I understood that you were stating your opinion.  I was just surprised as you seemed not to have an opinion on the inspiration thing, but have very specific thoughts on the giant of history thing. 

It’s not a big deal.   I don’t have any plans for a ceremony or trophy or anything.  I just replied to a thread about him. 

Just now, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Tibs, I’m not responsible for the thoughts or perception in your head.  You have to work that out.   

You were wrong when you suggested my opinion of Clarence Thomas is based on political bias.   You were wrong about my thoughts on affirmative action.  

If you skipped all the posturing and just got to the point you were trying to make, we could have saved a lot of time.  That’s why when you said you didn’t think he was, my response was “Oh, ok.”. 

What I meant by that was, “Oh, ok.”.   I understood that you were stating your opinion.  I was just surprised as you seemed not to have an opinion on the inspiration thing, but have very specific thoughts on the giant of history thing. 

It’s not a big deal.   I don’t have any plans for a ceremony or trophy or anything.  I just replied to a thread about him. 

Cool 

• Like (+1) 1

Silverman isn't the only one suggesting forming a military coup to overthrow the government.  In July 2017, Former adviser to President Barack Obama, Rosa Brooks, penned a column for Foreign Policy magazine titled "3 Ways to Get Rid of President Trump Before 2020." In it, she mentioned military coup as an option.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/30/3-ways-to-get-rid-of-president-trump-before-2020-impeach-25th-amendment-coup/

They actually followed through.  

It was called Covid-19.  Everyone remember that?  Good times good times.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are not the only one looking forward to it 

This guy is a clown. An embarrassment to this great country. He can barely speak yet he’s so revered on the international scene? Lol, yeah right. They’re laughing at him, not with him. 

The grift is back!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1