Clarence Thomas IS conflicted

Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Clarence Thomas conflicted?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Wonderful, sounds like the makings of a new conspiracy theory.  Justice Thomas is protecting Trump.  When one crackpot hoax hits a dead end just generate another.  So what's your question? 

What's the conspiracy theory? 

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Justice Thomas is an amazing man and a giant in American history.  He should be viewed as an inspiration to millions but sadly knew the truth very early on—-he wasn’t the right type of man for some.  

He seems to be as unconflicted as anyone who has ever served in the position.  

Why is he so inspiring to you? 

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Wonderful, sounds like the makings of a new conspiracy theory.  Justice Thomas is protecting Trump.  When one crackpot hoax hits a dead end just generate another.  So what's your question? 

Nothing crack pot about these FACTS. It’s worse than I realized yesterday. 
- the Supreme Court had to decide whether to grant Trump’s request to quash a congressional subpoena for text messages relating to January 6. 
- they voted 8-1 against Trump. 
- THOMAS was the sole dissenting vote. 
- among the texts in question are those to/from MRS THOMAS and Chief Of Staff Mark Meadows. 
- if Clarence Thomas knew or had reason to believe that the Court’s decision here would directly involve texts to/from his wife, every judge in America would agree that he needed to recuse himself. I suppose it’s conceivable that he really didn’t know or have reason to believe this, but that really strains credibility. His single dissenting vote wouldn’t matter anyway. So what on earth was he thinking when he decided to participate in this case?

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Why is he so inspiring to you? 

Well, big picture:  A man from Georgia, born before the civil rights era, the son of humble people finds his way through school and ends up attending one of the most prestigious law schools in the country.   He graduated a mere ten years after Yale began allowing Black students to grace the hallowed and previously exclusively caucasian halls.  He's spoken of the difficulties he had getting a job after graduating law school, his feeling that he was rejected in part because he was viewed as an affirmative action candidate.  He's reconciled whatever issues he had with the school itself, but he clearly had mixed feelings about his treatment from his alma mater. 

When nominated to be the second Black American to sit on the Supreme Court, he was attacked rather viciously by "leaders" in the country, many of whom were active and willing participants in developing the laws and regulations that we look back now on as specifically designed to isolate and target specific types of people that looked like, well, him.  Some were part of the entitled class, a bunch of glad-handing towel snappers chasing congressional tail and in at least one case, leaving a comely staffer to drown at the bottom of a pond  and that had to be particularly galling to him.  

He's in an interracial marriage.  I have a friends and family members who have followed that path and it's not an easy road to travel now, and harder still 20+ years ago. 

He's an incredibly accomplished human being, been graceful in the face of adversity, carved his own path through life and has been the object of scorn and ridicule from far, far lesser men.  

I have to get his book--been meaning to do that, Tibsy, thanks. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

One more time…the democratic candidate paid for a phony hit piece story and then sitting back in silence, watched while it was used to ACTUALLY try and overturn the results of an election. Let that sink in for a second. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, big picture:  A man from Georgia, born before the civil rights era, the son of humble people finds his way through school and ends up attending one of the most prestigious law schools in the country.   He graduated a mere ten years after Yale began allowing Black students to grace the hallowed and previously exclusively caucasian halls.  He's spoken of the difficulties he had getting a job after graduating law school, his feeling that he was rejected in part because he was viewed as an affirmative action candidate.  He's reconciled whatever issues he had with the school itself, but he clearly had mixed feelings about his treatment from his alma mater. 

When nominated to be the second Black American to sit on the Supreme Court, he was attacked rather viciously by "leaders" in the country, many of whom were active and willing participants in developing the laws and regulations that we look back now on as specifically designed to isolate and target specific types of people that looked like, well, him.  Some were part of the entitled class, a bunch of glad-handing towel snappers chasing congressional tail and in at least one case, leaving a comely staffer to drown at the bottom of a pond  and that had to be particularly galling to him.  

He's in an interracial marriage.  I have a friends and family members who have followed that path and it's not an easy road to travel now, and harder still 20+ years ago. 

He's an incredibly accomplished human being, been graceful in the face of adversity, carved his own path through life and has been the object of scorn and ridicule from far, far lesser men.  

I have to get his book--been meaning to do that, Tibsy, thanks. 

Does it bother you he benefitted from Affirmative Action? 

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

One more time…the democratic candidate paid for a phony hit piece story and then sitting back in silence, watched while it was used to ACTUALLY try and overturn the results of an election. Let that sink in for a second. 

Wait, are you talking about Pizza gate?

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Does it bother you he benefitted from Affirmative Action? 

What part of what I wrote above leads you to ask me, personally, that question?  Seems like a really odd question in context. 

Do you think, given his life's work, that he is unworthy of inspiring people? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

What part of what I wrote above leads you to ask me, personally, that question?  Seems like a really odd question in context. 

Do you think, given his life's work, that he is unworthy of inspiring people? 

Nothing, just thought that AA was something you are not for. But it got him where he is. So you support AA? 

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Nothing, just thought that AA was something you are not for. But it got him where he is. So you support AA? 

Again, I'm not at all certain why anything I said would lead you to that conclusion.  I'm happy to answer your question (again), but common courtesy dictates that you answer mine:  

Do you feel that Justice Thomas is unworthy of being called inspirational?  That seems to be a sticking point for you, and I don't understand why.