Joe Buscaglia's 7 round Bills Mock draft (paywall)

Logic

I think they're planning on a CB at 25 now,  but I'm not against picking Breece Hall there if they think he's better than Singletary and can add some big play potential both rushing and receiving.  The position is devalued compared to what it once was,  but you're still counting on the RBs to touch the football 400 times a year.  Given that, I don't think it's unreasonable to use a late 1st at RB if the player profiles as a major upgrade. 

I'm not as much on board with a super small WR in R2 and definitely not of waiting that long for an offensive lineman.  I expect at least one of the first two picks to be an offensive lineman or CB.  Unless they take a WR at 25,  I'm expecting them to wait until R3-5 before taking one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I was opposed to drafting Ettiene last year, but I've changed my mind on this one for the same reason that Buscaglia cites:

This is spot on.  The two-high shell gave us and a bunch of similar teams real problems, and those problems mostly went away when we showed the ability to punish that defense by running the football.  Now, could we build on that success by strengthening the o-line and teeing up more Singletary?  Yeah, probably.  But Singletary has a low ceiling and I don't see him in a Bills uniform once he's off his rookie contract.  This offense could be flat-out unstoppable with a higher-end RB, especially if he can run routes out of the backfield.

I think the 2 high is gonna be something that Allen, mahomes, burrow, see alot next season. Not to mention Henderson was the unsung hero of the Superbowl in my opinion. The 2 high was frustrating Stafford early on, but Henderson made some huge 1st Downs with a couple of dumpoffs. Rams might not win the Superbowl without those. I love Singletary but I don't know if he makes those plays.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I think they're planning on a CB at 25 now,  but I'm not against picking Breece Hall there if they think he's better than Singletary and can add some big play potential both rushing and receiving.  The position is devalued compared to what it once was,  but you're still counting on the RBs to touch the football 400 times a year.  Given that, I don't think it's unreasonable to use a late 1st at RB if the player profiles as a major upgrade. 

I'm not as much on board with a super small WR in R2 and definitely not of waiting that long for an offensive lineman.  I expect at least one of the first two picks to be an offensive lineman or CB.  Unless they take a WR at 25,  I'm expecting them to wait until R3-5 before taking one.

I'm ok with Hall if we have a plan for CB, if it's a veteran and a 2nd rounder or something, as long as there's a plan.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The key to the "running back in the 1st" discussion is really the fifth year option.

The thinking goes that it is no longer wise to pay running backs a second contract. As such, locking up cheap running back labor for five years -- and having that cheap labor theoretically be an explosive playmaker -- gives you a five year window to spend on other positions and to not have to use other draft capital or free agency dollars on running backs, since you already have a bellcow playmaker at the position. Then, once the five years is up, rinse and repeat. The fifth year option for running backs is one of the cheapest of all positions, so you get to lock an offensive playmaker in for the prime of his career for cheap, run the wheels off, then let him walk.

Specifically, taking a running back at the END of the first round is where the sweet spot seems to be. People say "take a position of greater value in the 1st, and wait until the 2nd or 3rd or 4th to take a running back!". The problem there is that you're not getting that fifth year option. Is one extra year really worth it? I don't know. I'm just talking about what Joe B seems to be pointing to with his Breece Hall idea.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Don't need to draft a RB a year before Singletary contract expires. A rookie can step in and replace him NEXT year. And maybe Bills think Stevenson steps up . Don't like this draft because I envision QBs killing us downfeld 

They could replace him as a runner and maybe as a receiver with a rookie,  but it wouldn't be the worst idea to bring the replacement in a year early in order to get him thoroughly acclimated to the pass protection/ blitz pickup responsibilities they'd ask of him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Magox said:

I can’t possibly fathom Beane not addressing FA with a quality veteran DB.    White may not be available by then, which means the Bills would start the year with Dane Jackson and a rookie?   

No way.  He is not going to make all the moves to win it all and go that bare with DB’s.  No freaking way!

Thats what I am hoping...but until then, I am not buying a mock with a DB in first 2 rounds.  Once we sign someone, sure I will absolutely adjust that stance, depending on who we sign...or if we sign one.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Particularly since nobody seems to care about putting together an offensive line that can actually open holes for a RB....

Why bring that up…, kill joy😂

This truism is true because it true,

“The game is won and lost in the trenches” 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just one of these drafts I'd love to see an O-linemen drafted early. A great o-line can boost all facets of our offense & help Josh, the run game & pass protection.

It's always so hard to evaluate our RBs or poor Josh performances when a middling O-line gets pushed around.

I honestly feel the Cowboys would be a bottom tier team if not for having a strong or dominant line so many years. They have down years here & there, but overall they make Dak & Zeke look way better than they really are.

Edited by BigDingus

My first reaction was surprise because the past few years Joe B was adamant that an early round RB was in the cards. However, if the top CBs are off the board, as well as Zion Johnson, I think the Bills could give Hall consideration. I doubt it happens but the Bills seem to be pulling out all the stops so, who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

No. 

No.

No.

Hate it.

Agree- I think Hall is OK, but not in round 1 with huge need at corner.  If they aren’t going corners, I could see OL or WR - anything else would be a head scratcher

i think It would be too early for a tiny WR at 57.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.