Looming Stefon Diggs Contract situation - What do you do?

CountDorkula

What to do with Diggs  

232 members have voted

1. 1. IF Diggs wants a Hill type contract what do you do?

• Pay the man his money
    • Trade him for a Hill type return

35 minutes ago, Lost said:

I love everything about Diggs, his skill set, his relationship with JA and the team but this is probably the correct take.   I'd be open to the possibility of resigning him for close to the 20 mil range(which i doubt he would go for) if the Bills don't resign Edmunds.   I dont think we can afford both players next year nor do I think its good to have 80% of your cap tied up in a handful of players

Same.  Love him. Not sure if I’d trade him if we don’t win a SB this year.  

we have gabe on the cheap for 2 more years.  We need to keep the cupboards stocked with potential replacements 

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed about jones.  I’ve retracted that statement. 

I think the chiefs did the right thing too…..yesterday.  But they made a MAJOR blunder by drafting Clyde rd 1.  That move could potentially keep them from other titles.  They should’ve went WR or corner. 

Cautionary tale to those wanting Breece Hall.  

I also think the Chiefs made the right decision.  There's zero chance they could compete at the level needed by paying Hill what he received from Miami.  

That said.. The Chiefs aura was Mahomes/Hill/Kelce.  It was so unique to defend.. no other team has an elite QB, with the most explosive WR the league has ever seen and the league's top TE.  Hill unlocked everything on that Offense because you have to bracket him, while in a normal world, would be bracketing Kelce.  I've never seen anything like it..  

They'll be ok.  They'll have an explosive offense.  But they will never replicate Hill in his prime + Kelce in his prime.  We've never seen that before, and likely never will again. 

Now they're best bet is to field a Mahomes-led Offense like the Bengals.  Elite QB with weapons all over.  However, A) That is defensible and B) they are absolutely kicking themselves for wasting a RD1 pick on CEH looking at their roster on March 24th 2022. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I can't see Diggs playing this season with the Bills under his present contract.  Right now he's keeping his mouth shut & letting his agent work behind the scenes with the Bills, but if he doesn't get a new deal he won't be playing the good soldier like he currently is.  

I think the posters who are saying just let him play this season without any adjustments are dreaming.  Diggs isn't going to be playing under his current contract-book it.  

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Do a Von Miller type 3 year deal.  Real money for adams and Hill is 22 and 25 mil per year.  Do it now use he current deal to message the cap hit.  Go get it.  Kc is retooling but Hill is a massive blow.  Strike now.  

The problem is that 3 year extension is ages 31, 32, 33... he might be cooked at age 32. 

Julio Jones had 99 Rec for 1394 yards age 30, and has been utterly useless age 31 and 32, now cut only 1 year after Ten traded a 2nd rounder. 

The fact of the matter is not a single WR age 30+ had 1,000 yards last year... in fact the highest yardage by a WR age 30 or older last year was AJ Green with 848 Yards, good for 32nd in the NFL... and to make matters worse there were only 3 WR age 30+ that had even 700 yards -- Green, Marvin Jones, and Theilen.

We have Diggs signed through age 30. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, julian said:

3 years 60 million fully guaranteed.. spread it out over 5 or 6 years and add fluff money if needed. 

but 3 years 60M guaranteed is my best offer or I move for a return.

He’d laugh and likely become

malcontent immediately after receiving it.  You’d 💯 have to trade him.  20M is disrespectful at this point.  

i thought we would have tried to extend him last offseason @ around 21M.  25M @ is Probably his floor now

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I can't see Diggs playing this season with the Bills under his present contract.  Right now he's keeping his mouth shut & letting his agent work behind the scenes with the Bills, but if he doesn't get a new deal he won't be playing the good soldier like he currently is.  

I think the posters who are saying just let him play this season without any adjustments are dreaming.  Diggs isn't going to be playing under his current contract-book it.  

This is possible. He restructured last season to give us cap flexibility and I would assume they had some "let's talk extension this time next year" type conversations at that time.  

That said it's the busy season for the FO and extensions aren't on the top of the to-do list at the moment.

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Cautionary tale to those wanting Breece Hall.  

I also think the Chiefs made the right decision.  There's zero chance they could compete at the level needed by paying Hill what he received from Miami.  

That said.. The Chiefs aura was Mahomes/Hill/Kelce.  It was so unique to defend.. no other team has an elite QB, with the most explosive WR the league has ever seen and the league's top TE.  Hill unlocked everything on that Offense because you have to bracket him, while in a normal world, would be bracketing Kelce.  I've never seen anything like it..  

They'll be ok.  They'll have an explosive offense.  But they will never replicate Hill in his prime + Kelce in his prime.  We've never seen that before, and likely never will again. 

Now they're best bet is to field a Mahomes-led Offense like the Bengals.  Elite QB with weapons all over.  However, A) That is defensible and B) they are absolutely kicking themselves for wasting a RD1 pick on CEH looking at their roster on March 24th 2022. 

I think the Steelers are kinda happy with Najee Harris so it really depends on the team

12 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Then he gets traded and life goes on

Diggs has two paths he can follow, which is stay in Buffalo and give a hometown discount while winning and possibly becoming legend or get his most money somewhere else. I know the money is partially ego but his family is set for several life's so he might help us out. Either way I hope he does well.

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’d laugh and likely become

malcontent immediately after receiving it.  You’d 💯 have to trade him.  20M is disrespectful at this point.  

i thought we would have tried to extend him last offseason @ around 21M.  25M @ is Probably his floor now

You may be right, I was being more hopeful of Diggs wanting to stay but I won’t blame him for insisting on fair market value.

I just hope if Bean decides to pay him 25M+ that it’s 3 years MAX and continue drafting WRs

Beane will manage Diggs.   That's his job.   He is the manager. 

Get through one more season b4 Josh's new contract makes things more challenging,.  

I just don't think Diggs will be rocking the boat... doesn't seem like that is him.   Plus I imagine Beane has an understanding with him.  It's just a sense I have since Diggs should have been complaining a while ago when he was catching 120+ balls but he wasn't ... 

Who knows.  We are entering salary cap management la la land.   Seems like anything can be managed within the cap, as long as it keeps increasing.

We all need to tune our TVs to NFL football for everygame , all day Sunday, Sat, Thurs, Mon. even if you're not home.. keep those ratings up !! Keep that TV deal $$ increasing!   Your roster depends on it!   We need YOU! 

5 minutes ago, julian said:

You may be right, I was being more hopeful of Diggs wanting to stay but I won’t blame him for insisting on fair market value.

I just hope if Bean decides to pay him 25M+ that it’s 3 years MAX and continue drafting WRs

Not for 20M aav he ain’t. 

• Sad 1

Adams 67.5 guaranteed and Hill 75 mil.  I think 60 to 65 over 3 years guaranteed is do able.  A Von Miller type 6 year deal would bring down Diggs cap hit to allow Buffalo to resign Bates and sign a possible Cb.  I think its almost a must.  I dont want to go into the draft with holes in the secondary and Oline.  That looks like where they are heading without resigning him. 

51 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

The problem is that 3 year extension is ages 31, 32, 33... he might be cooked at age 32. 

Julio Jones had 99 Rec for 1394 yards age 30, and has been utterly useless age 31 and 32, now cut only 1 year after Ten traded a 2nd rounder. 

The fact of the matter is not a single WR age 30+ had 1,000 yards last year... in fact the highest yardage by a WR age 30 or older last year was AJ Green with 848 Yards, good for 32nd in the NFL... and to make matters worse there were only 3 WR age 30+ that had even 700 yards -- Green, Marvin Jones, and Theilen.

We have Diggs signed through age 30. 

Pay him over the next 3 years.  Escape hatch after 3.  3 year deal with 2 or 3 years of Bs on the end. 

Edited by Mat68

10 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Beane will manage Diggs.   That's his job.   He is the manager. 

Get through one more season b4 Josh's new contract makes things more challenging,.  

I just don't think Diggs will be rocking the boat... doesn't seem like that is him.   Plus I imagine Beane has an understanding with him.  It's just a sense I have since Diggs should have been complaining a while ago when he was catching 120+ balls but he wasn't ... 

Who knows.  We are entering salary cap management la la land.   Seems like anything can be managed within the cap, as long as it keeps increasing.

We all need to tune our TVs to NFL football for everygame , all day Sunday, Sat, Thurs, Mon. even if you're not home.. keep those ratings up !! Keep that TV deal $$ increasing!   Your roster depends on it!   We need YOU! 

I think it makes more sense cap wise to do it now.  Create space for Bates and a Corner keep the #1 locked in for Allen.  Or create space get picks.  Going as is through the year will be a struggle.  Oline and Db depth will be a problem.  Plus need upgrades at other spots.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ha, it was the strategic work of my fiance lol.  We "fostered" in September, but I knew and she knew she was gonna fall in love and want to adopt him.  But our "plan" was to wait to adopt a pup until after the wedding this June.  We had a Hawaii wedding to attend in February, a few other trips between now and June, then we are gone almost all of June for wedding then headed to Italy for honeymoon.  So it just was gonna be easier to wait.

Her SECRET plan...name the foster pup after something I love to break me down and want to keep the pup haha.  She knew that I had said my next dog I wanted to name Diggs, such a good name for a dog too.  So of course first thing she did was suggest we name it Diggs, which is a great name for him.  She's a huge Niners fan, could have easily named him Deebo, but she went with Diggs so I would cave...and it worked lmao.  

Now of course she wants a second dog as a playmate for Diggs, which she is gonna probably push for when we get back from our honeymoon...and if its a boy, she wants to name that one Deebo lol.  

Smart lady. Deebo would be a good name too.  I wanted Diggs or Beasley. I got neither.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.