How $40M QBs like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott are losing the offseason

Bogie_Klinkhammer

35 minutes ago, mrags said:

You will see the owners pushing for increased salary caps in the upcoming years. The only way to keep the Jones of the nfl happy to try and buy their championships. 

disagree

the salary cap exists solely to guarantee that the owners make a base level of profit.  A secondary benefit is parity.  There might be a couple deep-pocketed owners who would vote for that, such as David Tepper, but i dont see such a thing ever coming to pass.

Further, the NFL would rather use it as a bargaining chip with NFLPA to get something in exchange.   I'm sure the NFLPA is unamimously in favor of raising the cap.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The cap "should" go up by almost 90 million in the next 2 years based on the TV contracts and the estimated cap of 220 ( I believe before covid)

They are protecting 300m by 2025.

And that's before Apple TV and Google get their hands in the pot.

But that just means the contracts go even higher. It doesn’t help a team like the Bills. The rebuilding teams with QBs on rookie contracts will always have significantly more money to spend on free agents and trade and sign contracts.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Hill is worth a lot..but $30 million? I'd pass also.

Hill instantly becomes a slot wr with Tua and his noodle arm throwing to him. I thought Kirk's contract was ridiculous until today. 

There will come a time very soon when we start losing good players one by one. We have to get that first Lombardi soon.  No one is immune to cap casualties. It happens to every team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

disagree

the salary cap exists solely to guarantee that the owners make a base level of profit.  A secondary benefit is parity.  There might be a couple deep-pocketed owners who would vote for that, such as David Tepper, but i dont see such a thing ever coming to pass.

Further, the NFL would rather use it as a bargaining chip with NFLPA to get something in exchange.   I'm sure the NFLPA is unamimously in favor of raising the cap.

And it will get what it wants. As well as the owners pushing for a higher cap. Again, inflation rules everything in the world right now. Prices aren’t going down or staying where they are at in any profession. 

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

But that just means the contracts go even higher. It doesn’t help a team like the Bills. The rebuilding teams with QBs on rookie contracts will always have significantly more money to spend on free agents and trade and sign contracts.

The contracts will go higher but the money that we have already kicked down the road will be less of an impact then that it is today so we will have more money, in theory, to be able to do the same. 

So miller's 17.5 today will be more like 7.5 in 2 years. 

8 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I have no doubt KC could have kept Hill. This is 100% them saying "get what we can, while we can". 

I'm not sure they are better this year for it, but they will be in 2 years probably. 

I think it is an acknowledgement from KC that when the wall comes for Hill it will come quickly. Because what takes him from ordinary to special is that speed.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

KC has drafted well, they just failed to recognize that Hill would leave.  KC got a franchise center and LB in last years draft.  Dallas has drafted well, but then overpaid some of the talent later on (Zeke).   Agree on the Packers failing to add any talent for Rodgers.    

The Chiefs have drafted well because they’ve found 3 above average starters in the last 5 drafts. 

The Bills have at least 2 in 4 of the last 5 drafts (2021 is TBD but Rousseau and Brown have shown promise) and they’ve drafted poorly because they took Cody Ford. 

Right… 

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Brady wasn’t a top paid guy all those years and has 7 titles. 

Take note, Josh.

People always point this out. Do you know why Brady didn’t have to be paid like the other top QBs in the NFL? His wife is worth more than he is. 400 million last time I checked. 100% the reason why Brady always took less money every year

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Win a SB this year and then get a boatload of picks for Diggs while some other team pays him way more than the Bills could or should. I like Diggs and would love to keep him but that's the reality imo and I think the Chiefs made the best move for their future.

They also made the Bills title run this season a little easier at the same time.

Agree

11 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I have no doubt KC could have kept Hill. This is 100% them saying "get what we can, while we can". 

I'm not sure they are better this year for it, but they will be in 2 years probably. 

Draft is super deep at the WR position.  This was the year to do it if there ever was one.  

8 hours ago, maddenboy said:

disagree

FWIW parity also helps keep the NFL’s revenues up.  More eyes on games more butts in seats and more general interest in the league.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Big C said:

I feel like we talk about this every year. And yet again Tom Brady is taking a meager $25 mil. 

Because as much as Tom Brady is a walking character flaw,  he knows damn well that a good QB with poor weapons will not succeed to the level of championships. Everyone one knows this, the surrounding cast hasn’t to be really good to win it all. I need a cup of coffee ️ 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

It was already in that range last year itself.   Hopkins had a deal for 26M per year....the others are simply following suit.  

I think Beane made a mistake in not extending Diggs early in the off season (like he did with Allen last year when. Browns and Baltimore did not).   He could have saved 2M a year in salary/salary cap;  now he has to pay the same as Adams, Hill to Diggs.   You want to be the market setter and not get behind.   

I think the Bills will have to now wait to pay Diggs next year (along with Edmunds and Knox)

THis year is going to be critically important for some of our top draft picks to come through.  

This is what sort of concerns me. It has taken quite a bit of runway for our top 100 picks to get up to speed. 

It is wild to me that we can spend 5 top 100

picks on DL and still need to make a splash signing. Like, wouldn’t it be cool if we

signed Von Miller because we had

spent those 5 picks on OL, DB, WR? But we

didnt. We’re quadruple dipping over and over and still have question marks woth other positional groups. 

Rectifying this issue in short order is probably the most important issue at OBD in terms of lengthening Buffalo’s SB window. 

12 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Charles Robinson

·NFL columnist

Wed, March 23, 2022, 8:10 PM·6 min read

Jerry Jones said it best — and apparently said it for many — when he summarized the Dallas Cowboys' playoff disappointment in January with a warning: “We all know how it goes in the NFL. The whole thing is set up to take away from the best and add to the ones that need improvement.”

We can argue the whole “best” thing in that analysis, but it's clear the broader point Jones was making. Good rosters end up losing good players, or in some cases, great players. And it seems to be happening frequently this offseason to a trio of rosters locked into top-end quarterback salaries. Specifically, the Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-40-m-q-bs-like-patrick-mahomes-aaron-rodgers-and-dak-prescott-are-losing-the-offseason-001036835.html

The good news for the Bills is they structured Allen’s deal to hit while the salary cap will skyrocket.  It gets close

to normal (pre-Covid) the year after next.  Next year It looks like it will be in the 220’s, but the year after it’s estimated around the 250’s.

we may have to move on from some older players these next couple of years.  I doubt we extend Hughes at this point, and Addison is out.

12 hours ago, TBBills said:

Green Bay have done horrible things in the draft.

The Chiefs and mahomes made out like bandits and can draft another WR or pick one up from another team.

I don't really care what Jerry Jones has to say... he is the one running the team that sucks.

Do you think the Bills will consider trading Diggs rather than extending him? It would be hard to pass up a bevy of picks like the Chiefs got and it will

be hard to pay Diggs, Hill type of money. 

If we pay Diggs, I worry about keeping guys like Knox, Oliver, and possibly Davis (could throw Edmonds in that group too). 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Which is why this should be Edmunds last season…

We definitely won’t be able to keep everyone, and Edmonds seems like a good candidate to move on from, probably like Harrison Phillips. We offer Edmonds a reasonable contract, while letting him test the waters and it’s more than likely he’ll get more elsewhere. 

I really hope we can draft someone this year, who at worst, can be a stop gap next year. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because we aren't paying our QB $40M yet, his deal kicks in next year.  

Plus we have not had to face extending Diggs, Knox, Edmunds, Oliver, etc yet.  I mean just look at what Diggs makes now against the cap compared to what the new extensions for guys like Adams, Hopkins, Hill, etc look like...its double.  

You can only kick the can so far down the road.  Chiefs are feeling it now as Mahomes new deal kicked in.  Packers are feeling it after Rodgers and Jones all that money.  Cowboys feeling it after paying Dak, Cooper, and Zeke all that money losing players on both sides of the ball, and key ones.  

The en vogue on TSW thing to say now is the "cap isn't real" BS...good luck with that delusion.  Its very real, and it takes great GM management to navigate it in both contracts given to which players, structure, etc along with how they draft and find value in lesser signings.

THANKFULLY Beane is a master at all of that and we are in very good hands.  Other teams not so much...KC hasn't drafted well, neither has the Packers.  Cowboys have had better success in the draft than the other teams, but they also have not been making good decisions on who they pay and what they pay, or just how they manage the team overall.  

So for me, I am not worried, I have supreme confidence in Beane.  But the kicking the can down the road approach to the cap is a "short road" if you don't know how to find value in free agency and talent in the draft, especially the mid rounds.  

Sneaky need in the first 3 rounds is MLB.  CB and OG are needs for this year (and the future for that matter.  But WR MLB and TE are big needs for moving forward as Diggs will inevitably cost too much to keep, knox as well, and edmunds.  Edmunds may be gone as soon as next year. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.