How $40M QBs like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott are losing the offseason

Bogie_Klinkhammer

56 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I guess you have to wonder what Stephon Diggs is thinking with these huge receiver contracts. The yahoo article was pointing out that the big contracts are going to have an effect at some point. I think Bills and Diggs have unfinished business that is keeping players around. Those who don’t remember the salary purge in 1999 that cost us Bruce, Andre & Thurman should be reminded that money always counts. Let’s hope we get that ring before that time comes

That 99 off-season was like people that grew up in the Great Depression being scared of spending 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Wait a minute, there is a KC fan who posts here who told me the salary cap is irrelevant and you can just keep kicking the can down the road. I think you can do that as long as you want to with the players you deem it necessary for. Sounds like In KC’s case they decided Hill just isn’t worth it. 

He kicked the can one too many times and broke his foot.   Kicking the can is not reliable advice.

16 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Guys with that skill set don’t grow on trees. 

That skill set also don't last for 15 years. Though the bloated contract he was seeking would. 

They definitely got worse on offense, though his production was down last year. 

If Mahomes is who they say he is, the Chiefs will overcome this easily and have a healthier cap for it.

• Agree 2

I don't really buy this surface level analysis that big QB contracts are inhibiting success.  Really, those contracts just mean personnel departments, amateur scouting and pro, need to step up their game so teams aren't caught flat-footed.  GB and DAL are notoriously poor in managing their personnel to be prepared when a player comes up for a huge extension particularly at DE, WR, CB and OT.  Because if the only options are to re-sign the guy to eat up your cap or draft someone...you're wrong.  Always need to be developing people and that's why I think KC has done with Mecole Hardman.  The Chiefs have an option.      

Every off-season I see fans here talk about how we gotta re-sign our own.  Well sure, but to a point because if a guy like Hill needs a new deal, it's a decision made within the overall team's strategy and the cap situation among other factors.    

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because we aren't paying our QB $40M yet, his deal kicks in next year.  

Plus we have not had to face extending Diggs, Knox, Edmunds, Oliver, etc yet.  I mean just look at what Diggs makes now against the cap compared to what the new extensions for guys like Adams, Hopkins, Hill, etc look like...its double.  

You can only kick the can so far down the road.  Chiefs are feeling it now as Mahomes new deal kicked in.  Packers are feeling it after Rodgers and Jones all that money.  Cowboys feeling it after paying Dak, Cooper, and Zeke all that money losing players on both sides of the ball, and key ones.  

The en vogue on TSW thing to say now is the "cap isn't real" BS...good luck with that delusion.  Its very real, and it takes great GM management to navigate it in both contracts given to which players, structure, etc along with how they draft and find value in lesser signings.

THANKFULLY Beane is a master at all of that and we are in very good hands.  Other teams not so much...KC hasn't drafted well, neither has the Packers.  Cowboys have had better success in the draft than the other teams, but they also have not been making good decisions on who they pay and what they pay, or just how they manage the team overall.  

So for me, I am not worried, I have supreme confidence in Beane.  But the kicking the can down the road approach to the cap is a "short road" if you don't know how to find value in free agency and talent in the draft, especially the mid rounds.  

Our window is different than the other teams this year.  The cap goes up a lot the next 4 years where the cap has been flat the last two.  Beane has a plan and we will do very well.  We will lose players, but, less than people think.  I think we may lose Diggs.  See what Edmunds does this year.  We front load our contracts, so, we "should" always have room to make moves.  The dead cap money would took this year for next is peanuts with the cap increase coming.

We probably would have extended Know this year, but, we didn't have the cap space since his cap hit this year is only $2 M.  If he plays well next year we will have to pay a pretty penny for him.  Beane knows it and can get it done if he wants to next off season.

We are set up for success.  As said above, GB drafted poorly.  KC did draft well and took a great hall for Hill at the right time.  KC good, GB bad.  GB messed up Rodgers contract over the last 4 years and drafting Love.  Dallas is Dallas.  Bad choices and over paying the wrong players and positions.  Bad coaching in their open window years too.

Go Bills!  As long as we have Allen and Beane we will be successful every year with a chance to win the SB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

This article makes some good points- these huge QB really deals can harm teams caps.  I am not sure what other options there are...I mean you have to pay Josh Allen..

Very concerning watching this gross receiver money-- what are we going to have to pay for Diggs??

You mean what are they gonna get for him in a year?

Paying Diggs 25+ million would be a big mistake imo. I think the Bills should be looking for his replacement in the draft this year. I'm sure that's not popular but the reality of paying a QB 40+ is that you cannot overpay anyone. Josh will make any receiver better and he can turn athletically talented young receivers into stars. Diggs and Hill were both 5th round picks so the next stars are out there, gotta find them.

No more wasting money on guys like Star and Butler soaking up big chunks of cap % to completely suck. No paying big contracts based on potential to players who don't produce, goodbye Edmunds. 

The Bills have a superstar QB about to enter a huge 2nd contract, everything has to adjust and become more efficient. Need to find value at other positions.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Plus we have not had to face extending Diggs, Knox, Edmunds, Oliver, etc yet.  I mean just look at what Diggs makes now against the cap compared to what the new extensions for guys like Adams, Hopkins, Hill, etc look like...its double.  

You can only kick the can so far down the road.  Chiefs are feeling it now as Mahomes new deal kicked in.  Packers are feeling it after Rodgers and Jones all that money.  Cowboys feeling it after paying Dak, Cooper, and Zeke all that money losing players on both sides of the ball, and key ones.  

The en vogue on TSW thing to say now is the "cap isn't real" BS...good luck with that delusion.  Its very real, and it takes great GM management to navigate it in both contracts given to which players, structure, etc along with how they draft and find value in lesser signings.

THANKFULLY Beane is a master at all of that and we are in very good hands.  Other teams not so much...KC hasn't drafted well, neither has the Packers.  Cowboys have had better success in the draft than the other teams, but they also have not been making good decisions on who they pay and what they pay, or just how they manage the team overall.  

So for me, I am not worried, I have supreme confidence in Beane.  But the kicking the can down the road approach to the cap is a "short road" if you don't know how to find value in free agency and talent in the draft, especially the mid rounds.  

KC has drafted well, they just failed to recognize that Hill would leave.  KC got a franchise center and LB in last years draft.  Dallas has drafted well, but then overpaid some of the talent later on (Zeke).   Agree on the Packers failing to add any talent for Rodgers.    

• Like (+1) 2

The future belongs to QB's that place a higher value on winning than money. Brady gave the Pats a discount and it paid off big time. This isn't to suggest that players are greedier than owners. Still, the more you take, the less you have to surround yourself with talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

KC has drafted well, they just failed to recognize that Hill would leave.  KC got a franchise center and LB in last years draft.  Dallas has drafted well, but then overpaid some of the talent later on (Zeke).   Agree on the Packers failing to add any talent for Rodgers.    

DL Chris Jones has a $27 million cap hit for KC

He's a great player but ...$27 mil?

I'm still disgusted the Bills passed on KCs franchise C, rated #1 C in the entire league in his rookie year, for a backup DE last draft. Beane said he took bpa (wrong) because they had no needs. Who needs an interior offensive line? Morse was rated 25th last season. 

I really need to let that go I guess.😜

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Brady wasn’t a top paid guy all those years and has 7 titles. 

Take note, Josh.

If you honestly believe Brady would have made more money elsewhere, I have a bridge to sell you.

He clearly didn't make as much as he could have via his contract with the Pats^ versus another team. But if you truly believe he wasn't compensated in other ways, I think you are fooling yourself.

Edited by The Dean
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

We only had 2 (one is vastly underpaid). Now we have 3. I hope the ole saying twos a company and threes a crowd doesn’t apply here as it did in KC.

Win a SB this year and then get a boatload of picks for Diggs while some other team pays him way more than the Bills could or should. I like Diggs and would love to keep him but that's the reality imo and I think the Chiefs made the best move for their future.

They also made the Bills title run this season a little easier at the same time.

• Agree 4

I wonder if there is more to Beane not wanting to extend Diggs at this point.  Diggs will most likely command at a minimum $25-26 Million a year.  It’s possible that Beane may end up looking to keep Diggs another year and then trade him going into his last year.

I hope not but there are some large contract signings that are coming down the pike.   I just hope we hit on our drafts because if not the music could stop for a bit.

12 minutes ago, The Dean said:

If you honestly believe Brady would have made more money elsewhere, I have a bridge to sell you.

He clearly didn't make as much as he could have via his contract with the Pats^ versus another team. But if you truly believe he wasn't compensated in other ways, I think you are fooling yourself.

If you honestly believe Brady was not making money under the table, I have an Emperior's bridge to sell you.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

Allen’s salary hasn’t fully kicked in yet. Bills will feel the same pain shortly.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh, we're definitely paying him.  Allen is making $47 million for the 2022 season. Thanks to salary cap voodoo, his cap hit will be under $17 million.

2 hours ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I guess you have to wonder what Stephon Diggs is thinking with these huge receiver contracts. The yahoo article was pointing out that the big contracts are going to have an effect at some point. I think Bills and Diggs have unfinished business that is keeping players around. Those who don’t remember the salary purge in 1999 that cost us Bruce, Andre & Thurman should be reminded that money always counts. Let’s hope we get that ring before that time comes

They were also at the end of their careers.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.