How $40M QBs like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott are losing the offseason

HOUSE

Charles Robinson

·NFL columnist

Wed, March 23, 2022, 8:10 PM·6 min read

Jerry Jones said it best — and apparently said it for many — when he summarized the Dallas Cowboys' playoff disappointment in January with a warning: “We all know how it goes in the NFL. The whole thing is set up to take away from the best and add to the ones that need improvement.”

We can argue the whole “best” thing in that analysis, but it's clear the broader point Jones was making. Good rosters end up losing good players, or in some cases, great players. And it seems to be happening frequently this offseason to a trio of rosters locked into top-end quarterback salaries. Specifically, the Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs and Green Bay Packers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-40-m-q-bs-like-patrick-mahomes-aaron-rodgers-and-dak-prescott-are-losing-the-offseason-001036835.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wait a minute, there is a KC fan who posts here who told me the salary cap is irrelevant and you can just keep kicking the can down the road. I think you can do that as long as you want to with the players you deem it necessary for. Sounds like In KC’s case they decided Hill just isn’t worth it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Green Bay have done horrible things in the draft.

The Chiefs and mahomes made out like bandits and can draft another WR or pick one up from another team.

I don't really care what Jerry Jones has to say... he is the one running the team that sucks.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Wait a minute, there is a KC fan who posts here who told me the salary cap is irrelevant and you can just keep kicking the can down the road. I think you can do that as long as you want to with the players you deem it necessary for. Sounds like In KC’s case they decided Hill just isn’t worth it. 

I have no doubt KC could have kept Hill. This is 100% them saying "get what we can, while we can". 

I'm not sure they are better this year for it, but they will be in 2 years probably. 

• Like (+1) 8

I guess you have to wonder what Stephon Diggs is thinking with these huge receiver contracts. The yahoo article was pointing out that the big contracts are going to have an effect at some point. I think Bills and Diggs have unfinished business that is keeping players around. Those who don’t remember the salary purge in 1999 that cost us Bruce, Andre & Thurman should be reminded that money always counts. Let’s hope we get that ring before that time comes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

And how are we not part of this?

Because we aren't paying our QB $40M yet, his deal kicks in next year.  

Plus we have not had to face extending Diggs, Knox, Edmunds, Oliver, etc yet.  I mean just look at what Diggs makes now against the cap compared to what the new extensions for guys like Adams, Hopkins, Hill, etc look like...its double.  

You can only kick the can so far down the road.  Chiefs are feeling it now as Mahomes new deal kicked in.  Packers are feeling it after Rodgers and Jones all that money.  Cowboys feeling it after paying Dak, Cooper, and Zeke all that money losing players on both sides of the ball, and key ones.  

The en vogue on TSW thing to say now is the "cap isn't real" BS...good luck with that delusion.  Its very real, and it takes great GM management to navigate it in both contracts given to which players, structure, etc along with how they draft and find value in lesser signings.

THANKFULLY Beane is a master at all of that and we are in very good hands.  Other teams not so much...KC hasn't drafted well, neither has the Packers.  Cowboys have had better success in the draft than the other teams, but they also have not been making good decisions on who they pay and what they pay, or just how they manage the team overall.  

So for me, I am not worried, I have supreme confidence in Beane.  But the kicking the can down the road approach to the cap is a "short road" if you don't know how to find value in free agency and talent in the draft, especially the mid rounds.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This article makes some good points- these huge QB really deals can harm teams caps.  I am not sure what other options there are...I mean you have to pay Josh Allen..

Very concerning watching this gross receiver money-- what are we going to have to pay for Diggs??

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Hill is worth a lot..but $30 million? I'd pass also.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, hmsmystic said:

This article makes some good points- these huge QB really deals can harm teams caps.  I am not sure what other options there are...I mean you have to pay Josh Allen..

Very concerning watching this gross receiver money-- what are we going to have to pay for Diggs??

The cap "should" go up by almost 90 million in the next 2 years based on the TV contracts and the estimated cap of 220 ( I believe before covid)

They are protecting 300m by 2025.

And that's before Apple TV and Google get their hands in the pot.

IMO they haven't "lost" the off season until after the results of the 2022 season are in the bag.  My guess is that the Packers, Chiefs & Cowboys all make the playoffs with at least two of these teams getting to the divisional playoffs.

It starts and ends with the QB.  Clearly Rogers & Mahomes are worth the money and they will elevate the receivers brought in to replace the big name guys that got away.  The issue with the Cowboys is that they grossly overpaid Dax.

BTW, Allen is in the same company as Rogers & Mahomes. It's better to have an elite QB then make big splashy moves in the off season for skill players when you don't have an elite QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

It was already in that range last year itself.   Hopkins had a deal for 26M per year....the others are simply following suit.  

I think Beane made a mistake in not extending Diggs early in the off season (like he did with Allen last year when. Browns and Baltimore did not).   He could have saved 2M a year in salary/salary cap;  now he has to pay the same as Adams, Hill to Diggs.   You want to be the market setter and not get behind.   

I think the Bills will have to now wait to pay Diggs next year (along with Edmunds and Knox)

THis year is going to be critically important for some of our top draft picks to come through.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Green Bay have done horrible things in the draft.

The Chiefs and mahomes made out like bandits and can draft another WR or pick one up from another team.

I don't really care what Jerry Jones has to say... he is the one running the team that sucks.

Yup, nail on the head, the C boys have been a running joke for a while, three years ago I was on a bus In Annapolis MD, and the driver was busting a guys balls for his unwarranted hope that Dallas was gonna win it all, it was funny as hell to Listen to, and ya know the driver was spot on, nothing had changed since then, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

You offer him what we can pay him after/during next season, and then if it doesn’t work, we trade him.  

If these WR’s would rather chase money and play with mid/rookie QB’s, not much we can do about it.  

This is why it’s imperative to keep the WR room stocked for Allen.   

Diggs helped Allen, no doubt… as did Allen, Diggs… but Allen is that dude now.  He elevates the offense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.