Tyreek seeking a trade [Now: Traded to the Dolphins]

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

This makes the Dolphins better this year and hurts them over the mid term with the lost picks. Hill is talented but I think he'll do worse without Mahomes and without Andy Reid. Mahomes is not a fake and neither is Reid as a coach.

Yeah, I'm not convinced this is good news for the 'phins.   They're spending a lot of money - a lot of cap space they now can't spend on other players.   And they gave up some good picks that might have become good players.    And I've got to wonder if - to a certain extent - Hill's talent is wasted with Tua under center.

With Hill, Miami is instantly better, scarier.  But I'm not sure I would have made this trade if I was the GM.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I think it is a terrible idea to give up premier assets AND pay a WR who is 28 (predicated on speed) QB money.   Also add in the volatility of the individual.  Terrible

One of the few trades where I think it is bad for both sides. The Chiefs should be maximizing their Super Bowl window right now. The Dolphins should be accumulating draft capital to trade up for a QB in 2023 if needed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Credit to the Raiders for a strategic masterstroke. By acquiring Davonte Adams and signing him to a mega deal, they gave themselves the best three-deep receiving corps in the league while their above-average QB is playing for below-average pay. It seems like Adams' contract made it untenable for the Chiefs to extend/keep Hill. Within a week the Raiders acquired the two-years-running PFF top rated receiver and forced the most explosive weapon in the league out of their division.

Meanwhile, Dolphins get demerits for strategic stupidity. Trading for Hill seems like the Dolphins' version of the Bills trading up to draft Sammy Watkins. Apparently they think it will make them a contender but I doubt anyone else does. However it seems like the trade for Hill would give the Dolphins a puncher's chance in any given game. It would just suck if the Bills miss out on home field advantage because Hill, in an otherwise disappointing for the Dolphins season, manages to have one or two game-changing lightning bolt plays against the Bills.

Edited by dhgold

So Miami is going all in with Tua?  I don’t get it, you have to build off a franchise QB and they have two backups in the roster.  They have 3 awesome WRs, two great CBs and a drastically improved OL.  Problem is, they have no QB.  I don’t get why the Phins would push all their chips into the center of the table this year.  

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

So Miami is going all in with Tua?  I don’t get it, you have to build off a franchise QB and they have two backups in the roster.  They have 3 awesome WRs, two great CBs and a drastically improved OL.  Problem is, they have no QB.  I don’t get why the Phins would push all their chips into the center of the table this year.  

Don't ask, don't tell.  Shhhhhhh ....

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Now just keep team doctors away from him.

And that wasn't even a good game for Josh. This trade will be terrible for both teams.  KC will no longer have a speed deep threat. And Tua doesn't have the arm to get it to Hill. Plus Miami will now be cap strapped. Love this offseason. 

Chiefs will be fine.   I’m sure they will draft some WR speed.  Will they be as good as Hill?  Don’t need to be for them to be effective.  

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Football is not the NBA.  

You can't put these elite guys together and expect titles without 

1.  Strong management and Head Coach 

2. An elite alpha QB 

3. Winning culture 

The Rams were lucky they drew who they did in the playoffs much like the Bucs the year prior.  Then drew a novice young group in the SB where the Bucs drew a depleted Chiefs oline.  And feasted.  

I think what the Dolphins have here on Offense is the equivalent to the Bills defenses of 2013-2014.  And too many new pieces on that O.  Stafford joined a top HC that's been to a SB...had a #1 WR and elite number 2.  

Miami has a great defense against Mediocre offenses and meh vs good ones.  And not good against elite ones.  And with Flores gone I don't know what the D will look like.  

The things I think that will go wrong:

Peak Hill was a result of Reid/Mahomes/Kelce.  He won't get those 60 yard Mahomes dimes here.   He'll get frustrated at all the dump offs to Waddle and 25 carries a game for Mostart and Edmonds.  That alone is going to hit the WR production.  And cap their point totals.  Armstead won't stay healthy.  Neither will Mostart and lol Edmonds.  

And their D takes a step back.  

Dolphins go 10-7.  Maybe squeak in.  But I will need to see the schedule first.  I think they get 3-4 wins vs the Pats and Jets.  Maybe.  Then they'll need 7 or 8 more. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

One of the few trades where I think it is bad for both sides. The Chiefs should be maximizing their Super Bowl window right now. The Dolphins should be accumulating draft capital to trade up for a QB in 2023 if needed.

Actually this draft is DEEP with WR talent and the Chiefs now have 2 1st rd picks and if wanted to could draft 2 WR.. and have them under rookie contracts for 5 years w Mahomes..  

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Actually this draft is DEEP with WR talent and the Chiefs now have 2 1st rd picks and if wanted to could draft 2 WR.. and have them under rookie contracts for 5 years w Mahomes..  

Cool. None of them are Tyreek Hill. He is a generational talent that completely changed the way defenses were able to play them. Mahomes isn't going to turn into a pumpkin but Hill was a core part of their identity.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Cool. None of them are Tyreek Hill. He is a generational talent that completely chanted the way defenses were able to play them. Mahomes isn't going to turn into a pumpkin but Hill was a core part of their identity.

They still have Mahones.   Like Brady in NE, that can make adequate / good WRs perform well above the norm.   

With lots of cap room and draft capital, KC will still be good.   How good in the new AFC West, well, we'll just have to see.    But I have no doubt they'll be better than the Fins with Tua at QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Didn't they win their last 7 games last year? They have a good defense and should have a decent offense. Can easily see them making wildcard next season.

1 minute ago, Shake_My_Head said:

They still have Mahones.   Like Brady in NE, that can make adequate / good WRs perform well above the norm.   

With lots of cap room and draft capital, KC will still be good.   How good in the new AFC West, well, we'll just have to see.    But I have no doubt they'll be better than the Fins with Tua at QB. 

They will definitely still be a really good team. They'll add another WR by trading or drafting one. But they're not replacing Hill's impact on defensive schemes. There's no minimizing this loss. It could end up changing their entire offensive philosophy.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

If the Chiefs kept Tyreek, they were handcuffed. They already lost CB Ward, and are likely about to lose S Mathieu. The front 4 needs work. The secondary needs work. The defense needs to add depth all over. Signing Tyreek would have kept the offense at the same level for another year, but the defense would have gotten wrecked, particularly against an AFC where almost every offense got significantly better - especially in the AFC West. 

Even if the Chiefs were to put the best possible team on the field this year, with little regard to future years, they'd be flipping a coin on getting to the AFC title game. Winning the division is going to be brutal. They'll almost certainly be playing a Rd 1 playoff game (Bills are big favorites to earn 1-seed). KC's path to a Super Bowl will likely be something like this:

vs Colts

vs Broncos/Chargers

at Bills

That's like a 65% chance, a 55% chance, and a 45% chance at victory. Just to get to the Super Bowl. 

The Chiefs will remain contenders, and will be able to do more than almost any other team in the next few offseasons considering the cap space they just cleared and the flexibility they now have, to say nothing of the draft capital accumulated.

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

It’s time to win in Miami.  Simple.

2020 - 1 win over Buffalo to make playoffs.

2021 - 1 win over Buffalo to win division.

They are looking for a split against Buffalo.  1 win.  Hill might be that piece to give them that 1 win…with of course a whole new team/offensive energy philosophy with McDaniel.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, beebe said:

If the Chiefs kept Tyreek, they were handcuffed. They already lost CB Ward, and are likely about to lose S Mathieu. The front 4 needs work. The secondary needs work. The defense needs to add depth all over.

How does trading him at this point in the offseason help their defense? The big defensive free agents are off the market. The most optimistic outlook you can have about this trade is that they'll take a temporary step back this year and use the acquired assets to rebuild the team for the future. There us no way you can spin this trade as helping the Chiefs in 2022. They didn't even get any particularly valuable picks out of it. When I first heard about the trade I assumed they would get a top 16 pick and take Jameson Williams or Chris Olave, and that would be something you could put a positive spin on. Instead they got some picks that can be used to build the depth of the team, in exchange for a game changing elite talent. Give me the game changing elite talent over the depth every time.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.