Tyreek seeking a trade [Now: Traded to the Dolphins]

Dablitzkrieg

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It could end up changing their entire offensive philosophy.

If it does, it does.    There are many ways to win when you have a QB like Mahones.     Same could be said of the Bills if you remove Diggs from the equation.    In Josh (and Beane) we trust.

20 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Same could be said of the Bills if you remove Diggs from the equation. 

Of course. If we lost Diggs without a comparable replacement waiting in the wings it would hurt us badly. But I think losing Hill hurts the Chiefs even more. He was the linchpin of their offensive scheme. Case in point if you remove Hill from the Chiefs last year, no question in my mind we make it to the AFCCG at the very least.

I'm a big believer in the snowball effect of adding premium talent. Adding Diggs didn't just give us a top tier #1 WR. It also gave our #1 WR at the time - John Brown - more favorable matchups against #2 CBs, and so on down the line. I know people joke about the Sammy Watkins decoy stuff but that kind of thing really DOES matter. Even when Hill wasn't catching the ball his presence on the field was opening up the rest of the offense. His absence can't be minimized or hand waved away.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm not saying that the Dolphins got fleeced, but I don't understand why they'd want to do it.  They weren't a WR away last season, like we were in 2019 with Diggs.

Chris Grier reminds me of Doug Whaley. He makes moves just to make them, because he likes seeing his name on the ESPN ticker. He stupidly traded down and missed a chance to draft a generational WR talent in Ja'Marr Chase, then even more stupidly gave up a 1st rounder to trade back up without knowing who he was trading up for. He forced a disgruntled head coach out the door and stands behind his mediocre QB, then makes a splash trade for a WR to prove he knows what he's doing. It's textbook Doug Whaley decision making. A whole lot of splashy big moves without any kind of cohesive plan. I'm glad the Bills have adults making these decisions now.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Chris Grier reminds me of Doug Whaley. He makes moves just to make them, because he likes seeing his name on the ESPN ticker. He stupidly traded down and missed a chance to draft a generational WR talent in Ja'Marr Chase, then even more stupidly gave up a 1st rounder to trade back up without knowing who he was trading up for. He forced a disgruntled head coach out the door and stands behind his mediocre QB, then makes a splash trade for a WR to prove he knows what he's doing. It's textbook Doug Whaley decision making. A whole lot of splashy big moves without any kind of cohesive plan. I'm glad the Bills have adults making these decisions now.

Whaley never traded for an established #1 WR.  He instead thought it was a good idea to give up a 1st rounder to move up and draft a WR who turned out to be a mental head case.

Grier basically did what Beane did to get Diggs (both going into their rookie QB's third year).  The bigger difference being he had to sign Hill to a massive contract.  They still have a ton of picks next year and a solid young defense.  The Fins  now have a revamped o-line, a scheme that fits Tua's skill set perfectly, and three legitimate weapons in Hill, Waddle, and Geiseke.  Now Tua has no excuses in his third season and Bridgewater is waiting in the wings if he fails.   Miami is basically the 49ers of the AFC now and will be significantly better the next few years.  They don't have an elite QB so we still should take the division but it got more difficult after this move and there's no way around that.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Chiefs Fan here.

I am torn about this. I woke up after a long midnight shift today to see my favorite Chiefs WR of all time get traded. He's still in his prime and was well on his way to being a HoF WR and one of the best duo's of all time. Jacksonville had to screw things up. The Raiders had to screw things up. Tyreek and the Chiefs were allegedly close on a deal until the market blew up. 

Now that I'm calm, I do think this is ultimately a good thing for the Chiefs long term and potentially makes them better THIS year but we'll see. The truth is, the Chiefs have massive holes on the team and little cap space without converting Mahomes salary to a bonus (constructed contract to do this every year). They don't have CB's and their dline is one of the worst in the NFL. They have 2 LB's and that's it. Their WR room before the trade was better but still just Hill/JuJu/Hardemen. Kelce is getting up there. They have holes upon holes and no money and low draft picks. They have been getting a little bit worse each year since their SB win but this has been by far the worst roster before the Hill trade they've had. 

I am not of giving 3rd contracts to players that aren't QB's. I'd rather trade a 28 YO WR who is at the end of his prime than pay him 28 million a year and screw the cap up. Especially if I can get 5 draft picks and clear 72 million in cap space over 3 years. Hill is a phenomenal WR with speed and athleticism I've only seen from Randy Moss at the WR position. However, last year he started showing signs of breaking down. He was injured a lot and to his credit, he played through it all. Is that a sign of him breaking down like I said or just coincidental? I doubt he will ever see the playoffs again as a Dolphin and I think his legacy will take a big hit, but I'm not sure if he will care much now that he's made his money and lives in Miami. 

They have the cap space now and the picks to replenish the roster. They can get younger and fill the holes they couldn't before. If they draft anything close to what they did last year, this team is going to be scary good and the window is still open If Veach and company blows the draft then the window is likely closed for awhile. I strongly believe they will move up to take a pass rusher since they likely won't get an impact one at 29/30. This is a good draft for DE and WR as well. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the Chiefs in the AFC West this year but I'm not ready to count them out with Mahomes/Reid. The off season just started for them after the trade. I do wish it happened a few weeks ago though... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I don’t get this trade for either of the teams.

the chiefs lose a key piece of the offense, and without him, they don’t win the divisional round. sure they get all those picks, but it’s hard to imagine anyone of them will have the impact that tyreek did. 

the fish then trade all those picks and pay a fortune for a slot receiver with personal issues. And as we all have mentioned, Tua is BAD. He’s not very athletic, has a week arm, and is a poor leader. Remember that QB carousel with Fitzpatrick two seasons ago? 

It was a flashy move with no substance. They MIGHT be competing for the 7th wild card. But idt they beat out any of the teams in the west division, especially since they have a rookie head coach who is a youngin. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I don’t get this trade for either of the teams.

the chiefs lose a key piece of the offense, and without him, they don’t win the divisional round. sure they get all those picks, but it’s hard to imagine anyone of them will have the impact that tyreek did. 

the fish then trade all those picks and pay a fortune for a slot receiver with personal issues. And as we all have mentioned, Tua is BAD. He’s not very athletic, has a week arm, and is a poor leader. Remember that QB carousel with Fitzpatrick two seasons ago? 

It was a flashy move with no substance. They MIGHT be competing for the 7th wild card. But idt they beat out any of the teams in the west division, especially since they have a rookie head coach who is a youngin. 

The sum of the cap space and 5 picks will be greater than paying 30 mil per for a 28 year old and soon to be declining WR. I understand that for the Chiefs with cap issues. 

I agree on the Dolphins. It does make them better but Tua isn't a good QB and he's made of glass. I wish they would have sent him to the Jets just to give him the finger for forcing his way out for $$. 

1 hour ago, emaw1979 said:

The sum of the cap space and 5 picks will be greater than paying 30 mil per for a 28 year old and soon to be declining WR. I understand that for the Chiefs with cap issues. 

I agree on the Dolphins. It does make them better but Tua isn't a good QB and he's made of glass. I wish they would have sent him to the Jets just to give him the finger for forcing his way out for $$. 

Usually you trade your star player to the opposite conference,  KC traded him to the Dolphins thinking it could makes things more difficult for Bills to win division. Next thing is for both Jets & Pats to make big offseason splash moves. Not surprised if Pats throw big money at Julio Jones

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Usually you trade your star player to the opposite conference,  KC traded him to the Dolphins thinking it could makes things more difficult for Bills to win division. Next thing is for both Jets & Pats to make big offseason splash moves. Not surprised if Pats throw big money at Julio Jones

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins make a run at Baker.

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Cool. None of them are Tyreek Hill. He is a generational talent that completely changed the way defenses were able to play them. Mahomes isn't going to turn into a pumpkin but Hill was a core part of their identity.

Hill is a great receiver, he is not a generational talent. There can get 2 good to very good ones to replace one great.. harder cover 3 people than 2.. which is what happened against Cincy. 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Julio Jones isn't a big move.  Dude is done.

31 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Hill is a great receiver, he is not a generational talent. There can get 2 good to very good ones to replace one great.. harder cover 3 people than 2.. which is what happened against Cincy. 

Hill is one of the most fastest players to play the game, he changed the way defences played against the Chiefs.  I think the Chiefs decided to take a step back to clear cap space and get younger. Personally I would not give a massive extension to any player who is getting close to 30 and taken a lot of hits and that includes our own Diggs. Look for Diggs to be asking for extension with more guaranteed money after seeing what Hill got.  Diggs is a great WR and has been a blessing in his two seasons.,  he will also be turning 29 in Nov.  Once a player hits 30,  it is year to year on being able to stay healthy and stay win the field.  Dez Bryant is a perfect example. Yes I agree that Diggs deserves a raise but if he wants crazy numbers then I have no problem trading him up for picks like KC just did with Hill.

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Julio Jones isn't a big move.  Dude is done.

Who did he play with last season?  I still think he has a couple of good seasons left in him as a solid # 2 option

Chiefs got the ultimate return on investment with Tyreek Hill.  Himself being drafted in the 5th round, 165th overall pick has helped carry the Chiefs to 6 Division titles, 2 Conference championships, a Super Bowl win and now being converted to 5 draft picks.   Unbelievable value.   I can only hope the Bills strike gold that deep in the draft one of these years.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Chefs had to move him.  Can't be spending $30M/year on a WR and have a $45M QB.  That being said, it will hurt the Chefs significantly.  Hill was a weapon in that offense and replacing him isn't as easy as saying "well, they have draft picks."  

As for the Dols, if they had a QB who scared me, it would worry me more.  And I have this suspicion that the Chefs wanted to send him to the AFCE to hurt the Bills, considering they were only dealing with the Dols and Jets.

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Hill is one of the most fastest players to play the game, he changed the way defences played against the Chiefs.  I think the Chiefs decided to take a step back to clear cap space and get younger. Personally I would not give a massive extension to any player who is getting close to 30 and taken a lot of hits and that includes our own Diggs. Look for Diggs to be asking for extension with more guaranteed money after seeing what Hill got.  Diggs is a great WR and has been a blessing in his two seasons.,  he will also be turning 29 in Nov.  Once a player hits 30,  it is year to year on being able to stay healthy and stay win the field.  Dez Bryant is a perfect example. Yes I agree that Diggs deserves a raise but if he wants crazy numbers then I have no problem trading him up for picks like KC just did with Hill.

Who did he play with last season?  I still think he has a couple of good seasons left in him as a solid # 2 option

Played for the titans…he’s clearly lost at least a step.  Tyreek will meet a similar fate soon.  Might have been a year or two early but I think this is a great move for the chiefs and a head scratcher for the dolphins.  If they were just a wr away it would’ve been brilliant but I think they’re much further away from making a run in the afc especially after all those trades/offseason moves in the conference.  Maybe they just barely squeak into the top 10 AFC teams with tyreek.  

I like the move for Miami.  A lot of draft picks used on WRs, but they basically got Waddle in a very strong WR draft and traded for a probowler.  

They added running backs this year as well in edmonds and mostert, but I'm not sure that was ever really the problem with their run game.  Adding armstead and williams will help more there than anything else.  

The thing about them is though - they added nothing to the defense.  Which... much like buffalo was very much propped up by playing bad offenses/QBs.  The difference is buffalo was propped up to #1, and Miami finished 15th in yards.  Buffalo also wasn't happy with the performance of their defensive line and made massive changes to the unit.  Miami is content to roll with Phillips and Ogbah as the primary pass rushers in a blitz happy system.  Seems to work when they play the bad teams of their schedule (which were also mostly bunched into the end of the 2021 season).  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.