Was Allen the top prospect on the Bills board?

SoMAn

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree, I think they made the trade knowing there were multiple guys they would take there regardless.  

However, Darnold was never at that point in many talks about going number 1 overall, so the safe bet when they made the move was likely they would take Darnold because he was likely the top guy on their board at the 3rd pick.  

That is not how I remember it. The Jets traded up 6 weeks before the draft. At that point Darnold was still the consensus #1 pick among the media and for those who he wasn't it was Josh Allen. Mayfield only came on the scene as a potential number 1 pick in the last 14 days before the draft. And that was based on a growing rumour that he was Cleveland's guy (which turned out to be true). Nobody had him going #1 until it leaked somehow that the Browns were taking him and that happened late in the process. 

During the 2017 draft I was watching with some of my buddies and I said to them that Josh Allen was the guy I wanted, but I'd did not think we would be bad enough to draft high enough to get him as he would likely be the number 1 pick. But I said to them that Allen is the guy. Huge arm, big, big hands, seems like a solid dude. He was what everyone wanted EJ Manuel to be, but with EJ the DNA just was not there. 

Fast forward a bit and we are on our way to the playoffs, and I gave up on the Josh Allen dream. I started studying Lamar Jackson, Darnold etc. I always hated Baker Mayfield, because tiny quarterbacks who can't run are a recipe for disaster, the only outlier being Drew Brees. I never liked Mayfield. But again, I still felt Allen was out of reach.

During this time I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself that Josh Rosen was the answer. If we could not get Josh Allen, then maybe Rosen could be our Brady? Smart guy with arm strength who seemed like a major douche. And I did not mind a douche at QB, ie Tom Brady. I saw the athletic upside of Darnold, and I was okay with Lamar Jackson. I hated Mason Rudolph, with a passion. I thought he was going to be a scrub. 

Then Allen stands out at the Senior Bowl and I start to get excited again. So fast forward to draft day, and I start wondering if there is something wrong with Allen. Why are the Browns passing on him? The more I watched of Darnold, the more I disliked and I was down to Josh or Josh or Lamar. I leaned Rosen, because I was worried if the small school guy could really be "the guy." I am so happy to be more than wrong. My buddies texted me and they were like "you should have trusted your gut." A year previous I would have been jumping for joy at the thought of Allen and I am so happy he is our guy. My wife watched my internal conflict as the commissioner announced "The Buffalo Bills select Josh....Allen." In that moment it all came rushing back. I remembered how much I wanted him. How many Wyoming games I watched in anticipation. I felt that we had made the right move and I said to my wife "This is the right move. I understand why they are doing this and I think it is going to work out." She replied "whatever," and went into another room to play candy crush on her phone. It was a great day.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think bandit had a bit of a falling out with people and decided to move on which is a shame. He was an excellent and very knowledgeable poster and while we didn't always agree on everything I learnt an awful lot from the way he evaluated players. Super guy. 

Bandito also had a lot going on in his personal life from what I remember.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That is not how I remember it. The Jets traded up 6 weeks before the draft. At that point Darnold was still the consensus #1 pick among the media and for those who he wasn't it was Josh Allen. Mayfield only came on the scene as a potential number 1 pick in the last 14 days before the draft. And that was based on a growing rumour that he was Cleveland's guy (which turned out to be true). Nobody had him going #1 until it leaked somehow that the Browns were taking him and that happened late in the process. 

I honestly don’t remember how much buzz Darnold was getting for #1 overall at that point, but I do know it didn’t last much longer if he was.  He fell out of wide spread number 1 consideration pretty far ahead of the draft.  

Maybe it was because I was so dialed into that draft, but I was pretty certain Darnold wasn’t going number 1 and would be a Jet for weeks heading into the draft. 

Either way, thank god Browns didn’t take Allen.  It’s sooooooo nice not having to think about QB issues ahead of a draft. 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:58 AM, Putin said:

Do you think if that was the case McD and Bean would still be here?

I doubt it.  

I think we got incredibly lucky that McBeane knocked it out of the park with the Allen selection.  We have an elite franchise QB who is going to keep our team in championship contention for the foreseeable future and a culture that attracts high-profile FAs.  But if we had taken Darnold (say) and he flamed out here the way he did in New Jersey and Carolina, we'd be right at square one with the same mess of a roster that we lived with through the drought era.  I assume we would have blown up our front office and coaching staff back in January, and a bunch of us would be trying to talk ourselves into drafting Malik Willis somebody.  This franchise would be in a radically different place today if the Giants and Broncos didn't have their heads up their asses back in 2018.

Then again, we got unlucky with Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manuel, along with all the other assorted schlubs we put under center.  It was just a matter of time until one of those QB selections finally worked out.  Glad it was Josh.

• Like (+1) 3

Rosen not only hasn't won more Super Bowls than anyone in NFL history, his job got a lot harder 2 years ago. 

He'd better lock down a starting job sometime very, very soon or I don't see him getting to 8 rings!

As soon as I saw him trying to be Aaron Rodgers mini-me in that interview where he was counting his rings before he was even drafted I soured on him. 

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree, I think they made the trade knowing there were multiple guys they would take there regardless.  

I remember being very sad the Jets moved up to 3.  We were going to get third choice on QB AT BEST!

I just didn’t want Darnold or Rosen.  I was more ok with Darnold, but I had real concerns about decision making after watching him so much at USC, especially in important moments.  And as I am sure you remember as we discussed it a lot, I hated the idea of trading up and drafting Rosen.

I was very confident Rosen would be a bust.  I had too much inside info here in LA about his character and personality that made me confident he was a high bust candidate.  He was a well known douche around LA and even towards kids.  He is totally self absorbed and a fake tough guy who couldn’t take criticism or coaching well.  Where as everyone one I knew that had insight on Darnold was just the opposite…great guy on and off the field.  

Unlikeabke QBs don’t rarely make it and stick around in the NFL, and most flame out bad.  So Rosen was a hard pass for me.  

I also am in LA and I wanted NOTHING to do with Rosen.   Well known bad attitude in all the wrong ways.  Jeff George level of douche without the arm talent.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I doubt it.  

I think we got incredibly lucky that McBeane knocked it out of the park with the Allen selection.  We have an elite franchise QB who is going to keep our team in championship contention for the foreseeable future and a culture that attracts high-profile FAs.  But if we had taken Darnold (say) and he flamed out here the way he did in New Jersey and Carolina, we'd be right at square one with the same mess of a roster that we lived with through the drought era.  I assume we would have blown up our front office and coaching staff back in January, and a bunch of us would be trying to talk ourselves into drafting Malik Willis somebody.  This franchise would be in a radically different place today if the Giants and Broncos didn't have their heads up their asses back in 2018.

Then again, we got unlucky with Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manuel, along with all the other assorted schlubs we put under center.  It was just a matter of time until one of those QB selections finally worked out.  Glad it was Josh.

I agree with you but I would also ad Cleveland in to the mix , they had a pick of the liter and in a typical Cleveland way they screwed it up ( thank god for that) 

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Again this may have been a ranking at some point. It was not their draft board. 

I am still not sure their move to #3 was for Darnold. I think it might have been for Baker. It only became clear the Browns were really into Baker in the final 10 days. Long after the Jets traded up. I don't know and they would never say, but I believe they had Mayfield top of their board.

How do you know that list on page 1 was not their draft board?   I mean, it wasn't their board, but it's a listing of quarterbacks by rank.   How do you know they didn't go into the draft with the QBs ranked that way?

I don't know; I never saw any proof.   But reading between the lines of things that McDermott and Beane said after the draft, it sounded to me like Allen was at the top of their QB rankings.   Obviously, they never said that, but there was something about their excitement that Allen had fallen to a spot they could trade up to said to me that he was the guy they wanted.  

I don't know anything about overstriding and technical throwing mechanics, but I never got the impression that his throwing mechanics in college were so bad as to make him a serious question mark in that regard.   Mostly, when I watched film of him in college, I saw a supremely gifted athlete who happened to be 6'5", 240.   I didn't know if he would mature into a great NFL QB, because he was pretty inconsistent in college, but I never thought he was the project others did.   

Still, going into the draft, I had them Mayfield, Darnold, wrong-Josh, right-Josh, just because I formed my opinions from all the crap in the media.  So, when the Bills traded up, I was hoping for wrong-Josh until, literally seconds before the announcement, I thought "no, take the guy with the big arm."  Then, the board exploded in disappointment, but I was thinking "we're good."  When I heard Beane and McDermott talk about him, I thought, "yup, we're good."  

4 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

One thing I like around this board is how everyone uses important technical terms, like "edge," and "one-tech," and "schlub."   Good one. 

However, I think it's a little unfair to call Tyrod Taylor and Ryan FItzpatrick "schlubs."

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

How do you know that list on page 1 was not their draft board?   I mean, it wasn't their board, but it's a listing of quarterbacks by rank.   How do you know they didn't go into the draft with the QBs ranked that way?

Because I have it on very good authority that by the draft Rosen and Mayfield were off their board completely. If they didn't get Allen or Darnold they were trading back and taking Rudolph or Lauletta later. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I liked him because of his size and arm strength.  Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen were lacking in my view.  Jackson was my second QB.  First time in a long time that I was correct on the best QB in the draft. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because I have it on very good authority that by the draft Rosen and Mayfield were off their board completely. If they didn't get Allen or Darnold they were trading back and taking Rudolph or Lauletta later. 

Thanks.  That's interesting and not surprising. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.