Was Allen the top prospect on the Bills board?

SoMAn

Is it general knowledge whether or not Josh was the 2018 QB prospect Beane and McD wanted from the get-go?

I can't remember if it's actually been revealed by anyone from inside the Bills organization. 

It would be interesting to know how they had each of the 5 QBs rated. Obviously, they had Josh ahead of Rosen and Jackson.

Now Darnold and Rosen are both busts, and the overall # 1 Mayfield is about to get traded for nothing or get cut.

It's clear now that even throwing Jackson into the mix, Allen was the best choice.

• Like (+1) 2

They were down to Allen and Darnold and I have that on very good authority. If it wasn't one of those 2 they were trading back and taking Rudolph or Lauletta later on. 

Everything the Bills have said leads me to believe that of the two Allen was their guy. But had Allen gone in the top 2 and Darnold had fallen he would have been the pick. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s general knowledge they had a trade agreed on with Denver to move up to #5 so long as Bradley Chubb wasn’t there. I believe it was picks 12, 22 and 53 to move up to 5. Obviously Chubb went to Denver, which caused them to move up to #7 with Tampa. 

There have been leaked images of their board, the plan was always to move up for Allen. 

Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Rudolph and Lauletta were their supposed top 6 - in that order. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They were down to Allen and Darnold and I have that on very good authority. If it wasn't one of those 2 they were trading back and taking Rudolph or Lauletta later on. 

Everything the Bills have said leads me to believe that of the two Allen was their guy. But had Allen gone in the top 2 and Darnold had fallen he would have been the pick. 

Sam Darnold will be our backup QB by the end of free agency next year. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It’s general knowledge they had a trade agreed on with Denver to move up to #5 so long as Bradley Chubb wasn’t there. I believe it was picks 12, 22 and 53 to move up to 5. Obviously Chubb went to Denver, which caused them to move up to #7 with Tampa. 

There have been leaked images of their board, the plan was always to move up for Allen. 

Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Rudolph and Lauletta were their supposed top 6 - in that order. 

_2gBigxfmRSd7ofKHfoaeI-Af6FWo3UHpN6nTSoz

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And if they had taken Darnold we would very likely be looking for a QB yet again,

it nice that fate rolled in our direction, isn’t it, now we talk about CB & OL being needs, 👍

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

And if they had taken Darnold we would very likely be looking for a QB yet again,

it nice that fate rolled in our direction, isn’t it, now we talk about CB & OL PUNTER being needs, 👍

OK - maybe we need a CB and an IOL too!  lol

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Is it general knowledge whether or not Josh was the 2018 QB prospect Beane and McD wanted from the get-go?

I can't remember if it's actually been revealed by anyone from inside the Bills organization. 

It would be interesting to know how they had each of the 5 QBs rated. Obviously, they had Josh ahead of Rosen and Jackson.

Now Darnold and Rosen are both busts, and the overall # 1 Mayfield is about to get traded for nothing or get cut.

It's clear now that even throwing Jackson into the mix, Allen was the best choice.

Not sure but I know they were trying to trade up with Denver and would have done so if Bradley Chubb was not there. Broncos told them if he was there the deal was off and they were taking him.  Bills then scrambled with TB to get ahead of other teams that were trying to move up as well. Also heard they might have been trying to trade with the Colts prior to the Jets but didn't like the price tag it would take to move up.  Not sure if that was just a rumor or there were some legs behind that.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They should be commended for their ranking and targeting of Allen.

They also got incredibly lucky - TWICE - first by having Mahomes fall to them and then by having Allen fall to them.  It's incredible when you think about it.

Mahomes was considered a reach at 10 at the time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

it nice that fate rolled in our direction, isn’t it, now we talk about CB & OL being needs, 👍

After decades of futility with average to sub-par QBs, fate did indeed come our way after 20+ years.  The domino effect is astounding.  Because of the early success with Diggs and the culture cultivated by McD and Beane, the word is out around the NFL player community that Buffalo is a desirable destination. Next thing, it's top talent like Von Miller. And there will be more. Success breeds success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That leaked image was not their board. Mayfield and Rosen were off the final board. It might well have been a ranking at a point in the process, it was not the final board. 

35 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Do you think if that was the case McD and Bean would still be here?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I remember listening to Brandon Beane when he was talking about the QBs and he said accuracy wasn’t that big of an issue for them cause of the system they where installing. Leads me to believe that Allen was their guy all along. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm still amazed that we got Allen. Meaning, of all the qbs in that draft, Allen is the absolute best, and not only the best in that draft, but maybe the top qb in the league today. Lamar is obviously very good too, but overall I think Allen is a better qb

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.