Pick 25: G Zion Johnson vs WR Jameson Williams

FFadpecr

These 2 are on the board at 25. Who would you take?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. These 2 are on the board at 25. Who would you take?

• G Zion Johnson
    • WR Jameson Williams

The best CB on the board. There should be several good value CB's in this range. That said, I wouldn't mind OL help would be my 2nd choice. If Beane is foolish enouhh to throw away this pick on a WR when we have such obviously bigger needs in a WR loaded draft, he'll definitely handcuff Miller whom he just paid a bundle. Why spend all that money and not give him 2 or 3 solid corners to give him time to get to the QB? Why worry about a receiver when our QB is getting killed? Josh Allen's numbers under pressure were way off last year compared to when he had a clean pocket. It was the biggest dropoff among starting QB's according to Chris Brown. If we look past these positions in the top 2 rounds, it had better be for a generational talent. Not having a solid OL and CB (after Tre was hurt) cost us multiple wins last year. I don't want to repeat that scenario.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Given the OP's question, you would then choose Williams?

Yes 100%. It’s the upside play. Do I think Johnson is going to a good guard? Sure. But the value just isn’t there imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This isn't even a question worth pondering. If Beane takes an IOL at 25 over Jameson Williams he should be given a 'swirly' and stuffed into a locker. And maybe punched in the nads just for good measure.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think I'd go with Jameson Williams, but anyone thinking he even has a remote chance to be ready Week 1 is crazy. He'll miss at least the first 5-6 games, and they could hold him out longer to avoid reinjury.

None of this will matter when Beane takes a CB anyway.

I’m sorry but is not even a debate you can find a guard in the middle rounds , 

I’d rather have an elite WR and a decent enough guard 

Edited by Putin

17 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m sorry but is not even a debate you can find a guard in the middle rounds , 

I’d rather have an elite WR and a decent enough guard 

Was last years oline play considered “decent enough” by your standards? Because Allen was the most pressured QB in the NFL last year, if he wasn’t athletic he would have been the most sacked too. I’m not saying take the guard (I want a corner), but I’m going oline round 2, preferably a tackle who can play guard and serve as a swing tackle if need be. 

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm all in on CB in Round 1 following the Jamison Crowder signing and Isaiah McKenzie re-signing. I'd add a WR in the Draft, but not in Round 1. I'd prefer a John Metchie III or Christian Watson in Round 2 or a Tyquan Thornton in the 3rd or 4th. Speed being the name of the game for that extra WR.

So I'd prefer to go neither. Especially not if McDuffie or Booth are on the board. I think (or hope) Bates will be retained. From there, we need depth. I'd address that in mid rounds. If we don't retain Bates and one of the top 4 CB's aren't there - then I'd be open to Zion Johnson.

But even then, I think i'd prefer a trade down to pick up extra picks and then draft an Elam or McCreary. Even if we need a Starting Guard, I don't like using a pick higher than Round 2 for a Guard.

Well, that’s a well thought out answer, good job!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Does anyone know specific details on Williams knee? (and not the combine propaganda) I suspect the answer is no, it’s a big chance to take a guy who’s nick name could end up being Jameson “ the knee“ Williams,  or protection for your $250,000,000.00 investment, ie; Josh Allen, especially in what is evidently a go for broke season.  

Edited by Don Otreply

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

At this stage, I think they're probably going to take a CB,  but if this is the choice,  I'd rather have a likely day 1 starter at an interior OL position than a speed receiver with a knee issue. 

And a one year wonder on top of it.  

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Williams - and I don’t think it’s particularly close.  You have to go with talent at the more premium position even if he is limited in year one. 

I think we went with “talent” in trading up for Edmunds and Ford.  Zion projects as an all-pro and has a record of performance without a knee issue of unknown severity.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You win football games by dominating the middle of the field both on offense and defense. It was true yesterday and will still be true tomorrow. 

Exactly correct. Ask yourself how good was Allen when the Oline was playing like dog poop. Strengthen the lines and the Bills path to the Super Bowl is much easier. Plus I'll add that Allen can make any average wr much much better. Stop with all this first round talk with ER and RB. Strengthen the Oline and we have a glaring hole at CB. It's a CB in the first round hands down. 

I'm not really ever a believer in OL in the 1st round. The position is too hit and miss to waste valuable picks on. Plus a single elite OL-man isn't a game changing player. OL is more about the whole than the individual talent IMO.

I'm more inclined to buy a solid OL in free agency, take 2-3 OL on day 2 and 3 every year, and spend round 1 picks on players that have the chance to be individual game changers - CB, pass rusher, WR, even RB if they have an elite attribute.

Zion Johnson will never have the game winning play in the Super Bowl. Jameson Williams might.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Can’t take a guard there. 1st round picks should be upside plays. I will be shocked if it isn’t a corner. 

Politely disagree.

Earlier in round 1, I think you're right, but at #25 if the guy is really good, it' s OK.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1