NFL. com's Hanzus ranks Bills as #1 team in offseason after Miller signing

freddyjj

30 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Good stuff but nobody cares about paper tigers or offseason champions this time of year.

Media love was off the charts at times last year as well heading into the season.

The Bills were one of the best teams in the NFL and proved that again in 2021, so of course the media was talking up the Bills last off-season. And they continue to do it this off-season because it is again true.

30 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

I took SCBILLS list and paired-off the replacements with 2021 Bills . . . I suppose we could substitute OJ for Sanders but they don't play the same position.  Maybe Hutchens breaks into the lineup and out for the first time and he can be Sanders replacement.  That leaves DB as a position to upgrade.  I am not worried about Jackson stepping in for Wallace; I am worried about White returning from injury by opening day (late Sept - Oct may be more realistic).  We may need another corner until Tre Dey is back and healthy.

image.png.c1784cbdb96bbf27abcab48273e0edfc.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Silly that a guy like Hanzus emphasizes the size of Miller's contract, even though it's essentially comparable to the one Chandler Jones got ($3 years, $52MM guaranteed).   

Miller > Jones, roughly the same age and a sure HOF-er.   Whereas Jones will have to buy a ticket, just like the rest of us.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

I took SCBILLS list and paired-off the replacements with 2021 Bills . . . I suppose we could substitute OJ for Sanders but they don't play the same position.  Maybe Hutchens breaks into the lineup and out for the first time and he can be Sanders replacement.  That leaves DB as a position to upgrade.  I am not worried about Jackson stepping in for Wallace; I am worried about White returning from injury by opening day (late Sept - Oct may be more realistic).  We may need another corner until Tre Dey is back and healthy.

I think we should also account for Tre White's absence in 2022.  I think it's a lofty goal to think he'll be back before week 8.  In addition to replacing Levi Wallace, I think CB1 should be an Area of Need and I certainly hope we're not planning on taking the field with a rookie and one of our existing CBs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Silly that a guy like Hanzus emphasizes the size of Miller's contract, even though it's essentially comparable to the one Chandler Jones got ($3 years, $52MM guaranteed).   

Miller > Jones, roughly the same age and a sure HOF-er.   Whereas Jones will have to buy a ticket, just like the rest of us.

I hate when media folks do this.   Not just for Von, but they always emphasize the max value of massive contracts - and they, of all people - know what the real contract is. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Curious how this offseason's roster turnover compares to other teams (in terms of sheer numbers)  Seems like we've done a massive overhaul around the core guys. 

OUT:

Harrison Phillips

Star Lotululei

Vernon Butler

Jerry Hughes

Mario Addison

AJ Klein

Levi Wallace

Cole Beasley

Emmanuel Sanders

Jon Feliciano

Darryl Williams

Matt Breida

Mitch Trubisky

Davis Webb

IN:

Daquan Jones

Tim Settle

Jordan Phillips

Von Miller

Shaq Lawson

Marquel Lee

Roger Saffold

Greg Mancz

Duke Johnson

OJ Howard

Jamison Crowder

Case Keenum

Matt Barkley

There is a risk in the sheer volume of player turnover the Bills are going through compared to the last 2 years.  And I worry about replacing the tough durable guys like Hughes, Addison, Beasley, and D. Williams.  Best ability is availability.   Also hope R. Bates doesn't get added to the out list.

It's impressive that Beane & co.  found a direct replacement for everyone on the out list, with the exception of E. Sanders, Klein, and Wallace.   And there are guys on the roster who have the potential to replace the production of those 3.   Plus the draft and leftover free agents to fill out the roster.  

When you factor in that Von Miller, Daquan Jones, Roger Saffold, and OJ Howard are all upgrades over their predecessors it's  a strong off season.

• Like (+1) 2

Ever excited we will be all off season, the Miller signing will still be underrated.   

He was an absolute massive get. What he's going to do for us in the immediate will be bigger than anything we've done since getting Allen then of course Diggs, IMO.

24 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

There is a risk in the sheer volume of player turnover the Bills are going through compared to the last 2 years.  And I worry about replacing the tough durable guys like Hughes, Addison, Beasley, and D. Williams.  Best ability is availability.   Also hope R. Bates doesn't get added to the out list.

It's impressive that Beane & co.  found a direct replacement for everyone on the out list, with the exception of E. Sanders, Klein, and Wallace.   And there are guys on the roster who have the potential to replace the production of those 3.   Plus the draft and leftover free agents to fill out the roster.  

When you factor in that Von Miller, Daquan Jones, Roger Saffold, and OJ Howard are all upgrades over their predecessors it's  a strong off season.

Yes more starters loss vs previous off season.   Klein replacement likely a draft pick my guess.  Wallace and Sanders are also likley to be draftees unless Beane can find a Vet CB in bargain bin.  With Tre hurt, another Vet and a Stud rookie CB makes sense.  And we know that Dane Jackson can pitch in too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We had a great off-season last year too.  I thought Beane did a great job bring back his own guys in Milano, Wallace, and Williams and of course extending Allen.  He upgraded WR with Sanders.  He also got some gusy to take pay cuts. 

This off-season so far looks even better.  I don't worship at the altar of Beane like some others on this board and disagree with some moves, but I can't fault any move so far this off-season.  I may have brought back Sanders over Crowder and may have tried to keep Wallace for the small dollars he signed in Pittsburgh.  But assuming they draft a CB high I'm absolutely fine with the direction so far. 

I just hope he has the right coaching staff to get the job done.  

Don’t discount Sanders coming back still. I see him as a potential after the draft guy who is brought back. He said he will probably retire, but if he comes back it would only be with the Bills. 

44 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I hate when media folks do this.   Not just for Von, but they always emphasize the max value of massive contracts - and they, of all people - know what the real contract is. 

Spot on.  Listen to Pat MacAfee's podcast with Bean on Youtube.  In it Bean says it's a $17.5M/yr x 3 yrs contract (or $52.5 over 3 yrs).  Great listen, fun conversation. 

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-post-2022-nfl-free-agency

Dan Hanzus elevates the Bills from previous #3 ranking to #1.  Rams drop from 1 to 2, Chiefs from 2 to 3.  The "All in" mantra is strong with this one.  I would feel better with a true stud CB opposite Tre - likely through draft.  Also need a speed WR to play outside and a RG - I am hoping it will be Bates.

The bigger question is what do we do for the first half of the season without Tre and only Dane?

I don’t understand how SD is not #1? Or, at least top 3….

I think our defense is largely a question mark still. If the Young DEs cannot create pressure and the tackles don’t get much push, we’re sunk. We still also have huge question marks in the secondary….

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

The bigger question is what do we do for the first half of the season without Tre and only Dane?

Yes I share your concern.  Mike Hughes is a vet CB available in FA that I like as he is affordable and could step in and start with Dane.  Also I have to believe OBD is taking a CB in Rd 1 or 2 as well.  

7 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I don’t understand how SD is not #1? Or, at least top 3….

I think our defense is largely a question mark still. If the Young DEs cannot create pressure and the tackles don’t get much push, we’re sunk. We still also have huge question marks in the secondary….

LAC were horrible versus the run gave up 3rd most yards, 2nd most Rushing TDs and 4.6 YPC.  Signing Mack and Jackson wont help them here - maybe Sebastian Day will.

Edited by freddyjj

1 hour ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

I like this chart. Even if Dane can replace Wallace, we’re still down Dane. And I don’t think Dane is as good as Wallace.

We need two CBs, imho….

We need a speed WR…. Or an outside WR…To give us more speed and depth, imho….

Then the big question is will this defense gel and when if the answer is yes. We need pressure opposite Von and we need to push the pocket a lot.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I'm actually surprised the amount of media that has pointed out what the contract really is vs the people that are gawking at it. 

Off topic, but I didn’t want to make a new thread so I’ll throw it here.  Cowherd listed his top 10 playmaking units in the nfl. We weren’t there.  I didn’t expect us to be there.  I’d hope that Beane (and josh) can change that in the next year or 2.   

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We had a great off-season last year too.  I thought Beane did a great job bring back his own guys in Milano, Wallace, and Williams and of course extending Allen.  He upgraded WR with Sanders.  He also got some gusy to take pay cuts. 

This off-season so far looks even better.  I don't worship at the altar of Beane like some others on this board and disagree with some moves, but I can't fault any move so far this off-season.  I may have brought back Sanders over Crowder and may have tried to keep Wallace for the small dollars he signed in Pittsburgh.  But assuming they draft a CB high I'm absolutely fine with the direction so far. 

I just hope he has the right coaching staff to get the job done.  

I think Beane alluded to the McKissic situation having a domino effect, and contributing to not being able to do some other moves they'd hoped. From a $$$ perspective, Levi was only a bit more in AAV. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.