Bills sign Jamison Crowder

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Re: Diggs, when this contract is up, do we let him hit the market.

Jefferson is 23, and on a rookie contract

Chase is 22, on a rookie contract

Lamb is 23 on a rookie contract

Davis is 23 on a rookie contract

Higgins is 23 on a rookie contract

Waddle is 23 on a rookie contract

Seeing a pattern here

Diggs will be here for a long long time.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Good signing but how do they get all of this under the cap?

ALWAYS somebody with this question…LOL.

That’s Beane’s job…why do we worry about it?

11 hours ago, Process said:

This probably stops us from taking a WR in round 1 which is disappointing. But I dig it. I think he'll be a good fit. 

Still hope we draft a speed guy. 

I disagree.  This frees Beane to pick a potential superstar like Jamison Williams if he falls to 25, knowing we don’t have to count on him in Y1 while he gets that ACL fully healthy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Somehow i dont think hes going to catch a ton of passes, with all the other talent around him.

Beasley did

7 minutes ago, eball said:

ALWAYS somebody with this question…LOL.

That’s Beane’s job…why do we worry about it?

I disagree.  This frees Beane to pick a potential superstar like Jamison Williams if he falls to 25, knowing we don’t have to count on him in Y1 while he gets that ACL fully healthy.

With the re-signing of McKenzie and now Crowder I don’t think they’re going wide receiver in round one corner is the obvious need corner in offense of line

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Beasley did

With the re-signing of McKenzie and now Crowder I don’t think they’re going wide receiver in round one corner is the obvious need corner in offense of line

John, you don’t (or shouldn’t) draft in the 1st round for need…you draft for a guy you think will be a cornerstone (no pun intended) at a premiere position.  CB could absolutely be that position, but so could WR.  If Williams drops you’re looking at a superstar.

• Agree 2

This is why Edmunds is so valuable and you guys just don’t appreciate his impact.

Guys who absolutely smoke him on a big play (Crowder) or critical 3rd down (Johnson) are then targeted by Beane in free agency. He helps identify future talent. 

4-D Chess. Beane is a wizard!

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

John, you don’t (or shouldn’t) draft in the 1st round for need…you draft for a guy you think will be a cornerstone (no pun intended) at a premiere position.  CB could absolutely be that position, but so could WR.  If Williams drops you’re looking at a superstar.

No I understand that but this is supposed to be a good draft for corners it’s both a positional need and it’s a strength of the draft

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It does when you don’t know if you have two starting corners to take the field

As I have stated in other posts, my position on CB in the 1st rd rests entirely on whether or not (1) they feel White is on pace in his rehab to back on time and fully recovered, and (2) if they pick up a veteran CB in free agency

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Point well taken. But a great 1st Round CB gives you 5 years at very reasonable compensation and CB is more necessary than a Drafting a WR these days.

99% of the time I would be in full agreement with you and, to be perfectly clear, I wouldn't be upset at all if they go CB in the 1st. However, in this particular instance, my preference is the offensive side of the ball with interior OL first and a difference making skill player second. This is my reasoning:

(1) As I stated above this would be under the premise that they are confident about White's return, they sign a vet free agent CB, and they actually do draft one or two CBs.

(2) I believe they drastically improved their Dline, which, in turn, will improve the secondary

(3) Offensive Line. The Oline, when completely healthy, played fairly well last year. However, when it came to the run game (outside of Allen), they were at best, inconsistent, and at worst, completely innefective. I think they feel good about Dawkins and Spencer at T, and Morse at C. I actually like the signing of Saffold, but he is a one or two year (maybe) temporay fix. They really need to draft and develop some Guards and an eventual replacement for Morse in a year or two. We have no idea if Bates comes back and Boettger returns from his injury, but even if they do, they are great depth guys, not the caliber of starters they should be putting in front of Allen. While I am one of those who generally believes you do not draft a Guard in the first round, I think this is the year they should invest in young talent on the Oline throughout the draft. I think Zion Johnson is a guy they should take. IMO, he is better than Green and clearly better than the next tier of Guards - and he won't last into the second round. I would also try to pick up another guard in the 3rd/4th rounds (maybe Cole Strange) and a center (maybe Donovan West in 3rd/4th, Cam Jurgens in 4th/5th, or Luke Wattenberg in 5th/6th). Overall, I would come away in this draft with 3 interior OL, all of which are athletic and aggressive. A better Oline means better protection and a better run game under Kromer - which would only enhance Allen's skill set.

(4) Wide receiver. Again, I would generally agree that a top CB is more necessary than a top WR. But when you have a generational talent at QB, the more upper echelon skill players you put around him, the better the chances of winning that championship. The league is an offensive league and the AFC now has some damn good QBs. I don't care how good the defenses are, in 8 games out of 10, QBs like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Watson, etc., are going to score points - that is what the NFL wants and the way they set up the rules. IMO, for a guy like Allen, another top offensive skill position is more valuable than a top CB, particularly in the defensive system the Bills run.

In the end, I actually do trust Beane and I will be fine with whatever direction he decides to go in the 1st round. With his moves in free agency, he truly has set them up to go BPA available and to move up for specific players if necessary. 

I love what they have done so far, and cannot wait to see what they do in the draft

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Good signing but how do they get all of this under the cap?

That will all shake out post draft and over the summer. Only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap. 1 year at $4 million is a great deal for someone with Crowder's ability, IMO. He is a cheaper, younger, more dynamic slot option than Beasley. I've liked him since he was drafted by Washington.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Who knows how the Bills have the cb’s graded, but there should be some fine options at cb when we pick at 25. 

I’m sure the Bills have several strategies and are willing to go multiple different directions based on who falls. It would be very interesting to see Williams available at 25 and what Beane does. 

We def need a vet corner, but overall we are set up nicely to take BPA at 25. 

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Huge upgrade to Beasley. 

If he can stay healthy, his career could flourish with Josh throwing to him

Going from Zach Wilson to Josh Allen is like going from a tricycle to a Porsche.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Middle rounds. Right now we’re about the same as last year maybe better depending on Davis’ development. Need some depth outside but middle rounds is a good spot.

I’m looking at CB and OL.

If cb and iol were the first two picks, wr in the third would be perfectly fine. There are good options at wr all over the draft, even later than the third. Alec Pierce would be a great outside wr depth. I think he is projected around end of 3rd or 4th round. I would be more than happy with him.  

Just now, Tanoros said:

If cb and iol were the first two picks, wr in the third would be perfectly fine. There are good options at wr all over the draft, even later than the third. Alec Pierce would be a great outside wr depth. I think he is projected around end of 3rd or 4th round. I would be more than happy with him.  

I definitely think they go CB in Rd 1. After that who knows. Corner is the biggest concern/priority for this team.

1 hour ago, eball said:

There are no guarantees when drafting a healthy WR.  One coming off an ACL tear who likely won't give you much his rookie year...

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

This is why Edmunds is so valuable and you guys just don’t appreciate his impact.

Guys who absolutely smoke him on a big play (Crowder) or critical 3rd down (Johnson) are then targeted by Beane in free agency. He helps identify future talent. 

4-D Chess. Beane is a wizard!

At least remove them from the competition.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

No I understand that but this is supposed to be a good draft for corners it’s both a positional need and it’s a strength of the draft

Yup.  And WR is deeper than CB.

14 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Would rather have Beasley but oh well. 

Better to move on too soon than too late.  He was starting to slow down, get injured, and the vaccine stuff.

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I definitely think they go CB in Rd 1. After that who knows. Corner is the biggest concern/priority for this team.

I wonder how much the Tre White injury impacts the FO decision making? If he was healthy, we wouldn’t even be considering cb in the first unless it was BPA. Even if the Bills want to go cb in the first, it will depend on how the board falls. There should be options for cb at 25, but will there be better options at other positions? Beane and the FO won’t lock into one position no matter what, it will depend on who is available. 

We will see a vet corner brought in before the draft. Between the vet, and Levi they should be serviceable until Tre gets back. So I don’t think the Bills will feel they they have to get a cb in round 1, instead they will set themselves up for BPA as Beane always says. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I totally agree.  You shouldn't pass on a great CB prospect for a lesser WR prospect just because your team needs a WR more -- and vice versa.  Sometimes need and availability coincide, which is great, but when they don't, you have to be flexible.  IMO, #25 is a perfect spot to find a top CB, WR or OL (except maybe LT), so I'll be good with the Bills taking a prospect to fill one of those positions.

10 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I wonder how much the Tre White injury impacts the FO decision making? If he was healthy, we wouldn’t even be considering cb in the first unless it was BPA. Even if the Bills want to go cb in the first, it will depend on how the board falls. There should be options for cb at 25, but will there be better options at other positions? Beane and the FO won’t lock into one position no matter what, it will depend on who is available. 

We will see a vet corner brought in before the draft. Between the vet, and Levi they should be serviceable until Tre gets back. So I don’t think the Bills will feel they they have to get a cb in round 1, instead they will set themselves up for BPA as Beane always says. 

With Wallace a Steeler and Tre probably not coming back until Nov I still think they go CB with the 1st pick. I could also see them bringing in a vet on a cheap deal. Right now Dane Jackson is our #1 CB and that has to change. Nothing against him but he isn't a #1 corner. You do make a good point about how the board falls. Usually there are some surprises and that will most likely be the case when the Bills pick.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I think they would’ve signed Levi to $4m per year if they weren’t looking to upgrade. 5 years is a long time not to draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.  Not many CB’s remain elite into their 30’s so it would be smart to get another good young one to pair with Tre.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.