Beane should kick the tires on Stephon Gilmore

Inigo Montoya

23 hours ago, Success said:

This draft is deep & very good at CB. I'd rather see them draft a couple of guys.

His attitude was terrible here.  Maybe it would be different because we're a contender now, but it just left a bad taste. Not a fan.

How was his attitude terrible here? Cuz he didn't smile on draft day?

He was a pro's pro in Buffalo... Multiple time training camp MVP.. Stayed off social media.. didn't get into trouble... He just wasn't a rah rah guy

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

How was his attitude terrible here? Cuz he didn't smile on draft day?

He was a pro's pro in Buffalo... Multiple time training camp MVP.. Stayed off social media.. didn't get into trouble... He just wasn't a rah rah guy

I didn't care about the draft day thing.  I thought he took plays off, especially once the seasons wore on & we weren't in the playoff picture.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Success said:

I didn't care about the draft day thing.  I thought he took plays off, especially once the seasons wore on & we weren't in the playoff picture.

There's a reason why we are always top 10 in passing defense while he was here.. and he was willing to play hurt 

Shadowed receivers across the field.. didnt give up many touchdowns.. 

I said he will be considered an all pro when he leaves because he just didn't get recognition here.. and he did

And he wasn't 5x better in NE... He got recognition because he played on a good team.. and a great scheme

He never caused any troubles here.. and was consistently one of our best players on defense over 5 years... 

Tre is my favorite bills player.. and he absolutely takes some plays off when he's not covering a stud.. you can see him go through the motions too.. I don't dislike him for it

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

KC is in a better cap position than we are and even they want him to lower his asking price. Common sense would have said that him not being signed yet was bc his asking price is too high, even before this report. 

And I know people like to point to Beane's signings of Duke Johnson and Jamison Crowder as him lying when he stated they were done. But that's not what he said. He said any acquisitions going forward would be budget signings, most likely of the one year variety, for people "who value opportunity over money" to improve their stock for next season.

Duke is a 1 million cap hit on 1 year. Jamison is a 1.98 million cap hit on 1 year. Stephon Gilmore does not fit this billing. We can't afford him.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:58 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Agree, plus would he even want to come back here? Could have sworn he made negative comments about the area when he left but that was some time ago and might not matter at this point especially if the market drys up and his options dwindle.

Yes and he wasn't exactly going all out to make tackles towards the end of his stay. 

21 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

F4E45151-CD00-4F94-BB25-FF6FB70F525B.jpeg

The issue here is that if they're willing to pay his salary and take on his 22 million dollar cap hit (does it work that way? Do they take the cap hit too? Otherwise, it doesn't matter if they're paying his salary - we can't take a 22 million cap hit) - I'd imagine they're going to want at least a Day 2 pick for him. Idk that I'd want to give up a premium pick for a guy on a 1 year rental, as he's a FA after this season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes and he wasn't exactly going all out to make tackles towards the end of his stay. 

That is a very nice way to put it.  He avoided contact like the plague.  He skipped training camp I believe.  He also rarely practiced, milking mysterious injuries all year long.  In short, he refused to do anything that might risk his payday, team be damned.  He began the same act last year with NE, whining about his contract publicly, then hurt, and Billy Boy pulled the plug and cut him rather than deal with it.   I would not want him back at any price, but especially as he clearly believes he should continue to be paid as elite.  

On 3/21/2022 at 11:54 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Beane never likes to go into a draft with a whole in the roster.  Our CB position is the last glaring need in our roster.  Levi is gone and there's a good chance Tre won't be finished rehabing his knee before the start of the season.  The available free agent CBs are getting pretty thin;  Gilmore, Joe Hayden, Kyle Fuller, Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, Tavon Young, Chris Harris, Janoris Jenkins are still out there.

Of all those guys I think Gilmore has the most juice left.  He is coming off that big contract with the Pats that was paying him $10+ million a year and then signed with the Panthers last year for just $7 million.  I'm sure he is looking for another big multi-year deal but he may not get one.  If he doesn't, he might be willing to bite on a one year prove it deal in Buffalo and then look to cash in next year.

Buffalo would be an ideal spot for a one year prove it deal.  He would likely be playing on a team with a lead in the 4th quarter with opposing QBs pressing to score some points.  He would also likely be lined up on the opponent's WR2 when Tre gets back.  That sounds like a great situation to start stacking some interceptions.

I know a lot of people here don't like Gilmore because of how he left Buffalo, but that was with the old regime, and honestly, the old regime was a dumpster fire and I don't blame him for wanting to go to a real franchise.  If Beane can swing a one year deal on Gilmore I think that would put us over the top.  A secondary of Tre, Gilmore, Poyer, Hyde, and Taron Johnson would be scary.

A one year $8-10 million fully guaranteed contract and a chance at a Super Bowl just might just get it done.

Amigo Iñigo, I don´t know if I agree, but I´d say, why not? even with mixed feelings

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.