Beane should kick the tires on Stephon Gilmore

Inigo Montoya

Beane never likes to go into a draft with a whole in the roster.  Our CB position is the last glaring need in our roster.  Levi is gone and there's a good chance Tre won't be finished rehabing his knee before the start of the season.  The available free agent CBs are getting pretty thin;  Gilmore, Joe Hayden, Kyle Fuller, Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, Tavon Young, Chris Harris, Janoris Jenkins are still out there.

Of all those guys I think Gilmore has the most juice left.  He is coming off that big contract with the Pats that was paying him $10+ million a year and then signed with the Panthers last year for just $7 million.  I'm sure he is looking for another big multi-year deal but he may not get one.  If he doesn't, he might be willing to bite on a one year prove it deal in Buffalo and then look to cash in next year.

Buffalo would be an ideal spot for a one year prove it deal.  He would likely be playing on a team with a lead in the 4th quarter with opposing QBs pressing to score some points.  He would also likely be lined up on the opponent's WR2 when Tre gets back.  That sounds like a great situation to start stacking some interceptions.

I know a lot of people here don't like Gilmore because of how he left Buffalo, but that was with the old regime, and honestly, the old regime was a dumpster fire and I don't blame him for wanting to go to a real franchise.  If Beane can swing a one year deal on Gilmore I think that would put us over the top.  A secondary of Tre, Gilmore, Poyer, Hyde, and Taron Johnson would be scary.

A one year $8-10 million fully guaranteed contract and a chance at a Super Bowl just might just get it done.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think gilmore has any interest in 8-10M to play in Buffalo when he can make more elsewhere.  He has his ring. 

I agree, he’d be a great @ 8-10M a year.  Just don’t think it’s reality 

Agree, plus would he even want to come back here? Could have sworn he made negative comments about the area when he left but that was some time ago and might not matter at this point especially if the market drys up and his options dwindle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think gilmore has any interest in 8-10M to play in Buffalo when he can make more elsewhere.  He has his ring. 

I agree, he’d be a great @ 8-10M a year.  Just don’t think it’s reality 

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Going to cost way too much

You guys may be right. 

But looking at his last four seasons he hasn't been making as much money as I expected he would.  According to Over the Cap he has made 9, 10, 14, and 7 million dollars over the last four seasons. When you look at those numbers a fully guaranteed $10 million isn't that unreasonable.

https://overthecap.com/player/stephon-gilmore/255/

Edited by Inigo Montoya

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You guys may be right. 

But looking at his last four seasons he hasn't been making as much money as I expected he would.  According to Over the Cap he has made 9, 10, 14, and 7 million dollars over the last four seasons. When you look at those numbers a fully guaranteed $10 million isn't that unreasonable.

https://overthecap.com/player/stephon-gilmore/255/

Looking at what other corners are getting…. I expect him to get more.  But you never know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.