Now official: Colts acquire Matt Ryan from Falcons for 3rd round pick. Falcons sign Mariota.

BillsMafi$

On 3/21/2022 at 4:14 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

One could argue the way to approach the backup QB spot during the super bowl window would be the opposite, draft a young, cheap cost controlled backup to hold the roster spot for the next few years. Figure either way, if Josh goes down your screwed. Might as well put the cheapest body you can at the position and use the cap elsewhere. 

But the difference between playoffs or not may be one win, hence you try to have a guy that gives you a chance to get that win.

• 6 months later...

The Colts are stupid for not trying to draft and develop their own QB which is how most teams get a franchise QB.  I will say that I thought Ryan would look a lot better behind a good oline and with a great running game.  I knew he is at the end of his career but I did expect better.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:17 PM, letsgoteam said:

My goodness the AFC is going to run roughshod over the NFC during the regular season. What will be the record of the #7 seed in the NFC? 7-10, 6-11?

8-9 would be impressive. I wouldn't bet the over if the line was 8.5 wins. 7.5 would make me really nervous.

May still happen but currently the AFC is 12-13 versus the NFC...yikes.

KC is helping the most at 3-0, Jags are hurting it the most at 0-3, Bills currently 1-0.

Looking more like last year where they finished 39-40-1 against the NFC.

KC and Jags continuing the trend...KC was 5-0 last year, Jags along with the Jets and Texans were 0-5. Bills were 4-1.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

The Colts are stupid for not trying to draft and develop their own QB which is how most teams get a franchise QB.  I will say that I thought Ryan would look a lot better behind a good oline and with a great running game.  I knew he is at the end of his career but I did expect better.

How could they draft & develop where they were drafting?  Prior to the 2020 draft they thought Andrew Luck was their future for many years.  He abruptly retired during the 2019 preseason after the draft.  They wouldn't have found anyone in 2019 anyway.  In 2020 the only QB who has worked out available by the time they drafted was Hurts.  They didn't have a 1st rounder, so trading up wasn't an option.  They tried with Jacob Eason in the 4th but that didn't work.  In 2021 they took a 6th round flyer on Ehlinger & now he's starting.  In 2022 they blew their #1 pick on Wentz when they traded for him in 2021. Realistically, 2022 was Kenny Pickett and a bunch of stabs starting in the 3rd round.  They like Ehlinger, so now they'll try him out.  

The Colts are still feeling the effects of Luck's retirement and there have only been 3 drafts since he retired and virtually no chance to get high enough up to draft a guy they could reasonably expect to develop into their franchise guy.  Some teams spend multiple 1st rounders through the years trying to draft & develop a QB and end up like the drought Bills instead.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.