Now official: Colts acquire Matt Ryan from Falcons for 3rd round pick. Falcons sign Mariota.

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

No idea, but right now he is probably looking for someone to organize TBD mock draft :)

I have one more week of peace before all that begins 

Another NFC QB to the AFC.  Ryan should do well in Indy.  However, I did hope he’d be one of the rare legacy QB’s to finish his career with the same team 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Now official: Colts acquire Matt Ryan from Falcons for 3rd round pick. Falcons sign Mariota.

Glad Mariota is getting another shot. I met him years ago on U of O campus, really nice guy. I have a good feeling he's gonna make the most of this. I think it's a great move for Atlanta as far as risk/reward and I look forward to seeing him play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not stupid at all.  Washington is hoping for a long term answer with Wentz.  Wentz is 29, Ryan will soon be 37.  Indy already knows they have to have a Ryan succession plan on the day he arrives, Washington has hopes they can bring out the best in Wentz.  

Indy is not a great front office-they gave up multiple picks including this year's #1 for a year of Carson Wentz & some lower picks from Washington.   

Good point about Wentz being 29, but I don’t understand what more Wentz can do to prove he isn’t a franchise QB. Wentz as a franchise QB is over, he should be a backup. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Good point about Wentz being 29, but I don’t understand what more Wentz can do to prove he isn’t a franchise QB. Wentz as a franchise QB is over, he should be a backup. 

Franchise QBs are rare. Just look at most teams' gaps between franchise QBs (Bills 22 years between Kelly & Allen for example).  So, some teams have to settle for a starter who is not considered a franchise QB and feel it's better to have some semblance of stability than trotting out a different QB every season.  

2 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Musical chairs almost over and Baker is without a seat!

It's gotta be Seattle for him.

Seattle, New Orleans & Carolina with Jimmy Garoppolo & Baker Mayfield still having 3 landing spots available.  A dark horse is Detroit as a 4th spot.   

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Franchise QBs are rare. Just look at most teams' gaps between franchise QBs (Bills 22 years between Kelly & Allen for example).  So, some teams have to settle for a starter who is not considered a franchise QB and feel it's better to have some semblance of stability than trotting out a different QB every season.  

Fair point, I just don’t understand giving up anything for a guy like Wentz. Franchise QB’s are rare, but you know you aren’t going anywhere with Wentz. The past few years seem to prove Wentz isn’t starter worthy He looks like a player who has the yips, or a toasted arm. Your point is valid, but I never liked how the Bills managed our QB drought either. I’d prefer a rookie or backup who hasn’t seen much NFL action over a washed up former starter. I’m not a fan of trying to start below average retreads at QB. It really offers no hope to your fanbase. 

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

One could argue the way to approach the backup QB spot during the super bowl window would be the opposite, draft a young, cheap cost controlled backup to hold the roster spot for the next few years. Figure either way, if Josh goes down your screwed. Might as well put the cheapest body you can at the position and use the cap elsewhere. 

To me the idea is that if Josh were to miss 4 games like he did in 2018 that a veteran QB would get you 2 wins instead of 1 win, thus doing damage control to your place in the playoff seedings.

Hopefully maintaining home field advantage.

5 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

I'd swap out Cleveland for Cincinatti, Watson hasn't played in a year and im not convinced he is a game changer for Cleveland until they build their team back up. Which they can't because they gave away their future and cap.

Think it will come down to the final games whether Raiders or Colts take the final spot. You are probably right with Indy, but Carr may take a step up with Adams as opposed to Ryan with a new team.

Open to it. Not a big fan of either coaching staff tbh.

The big thing is that Baltimore won't be a bad team this year imo. Tough to put more than 1 WC in these tight divisions, and cincy gets a 1st place schedule this year after going 10-7 with the last place one last year.

Good pickup by the Colts at a lower price than I would have thought.  See Ryan as a one or two year option for them.  

Baker has to be angry at himself for how badly he played this one.  Thought he could shame the Browns into a trade to another team and the browns GM says no and then gets watson.  

With all this movement mayfield doesn’t have many places to go.  I see maybe Seattle trading for him and an outside shot of the Panthers.  If he gets released I think that opens the pool a little and could see the Giants and maybe Dolphins as dark horses.  

Edited by davefan66

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

AFC is ridiculous this year.

Should make for some great football.

16 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Seattle, New Orleans & Carolina with Jimmy Garoppolo & Baker Mayfield still having 3 landing spots available.  A dark horse is Detroit as a 4th spot.   

All things equal, I'd take Goff over Baker without blinking.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.