Now official: Colts acquire Matt Ryan from Falcons for 3rd round pick. Falcons sign Mariota.

BillsMafi$

Titans and Colts both play the AFC west which is the tough division on paper.  But nobody wants to play either of these teams.

Both have good HC's.  Both play good defense - run and pass.  Both run the ball exceptionally well.  Both have tough matchup WR's.  They also get 4 games each against Houston and Jax.  That can help prop the record up.  

I see it as Division winners:

Buffalo

Baltimore

KC

Tenn

Wildcard:

Los Angeles

Indy

Cleveland

LA and Indy were on the cusp a year ago if not for some failure down the stretch.  Indy upgraded at QB, and LA upgraded on defense to address. 

I see Cincy's defense taking a big step back and them struggling in their division.  I see LV and Den being the weaker teams out west with new HC's, and that division largely cannibalizing itself.  

Denver had a strong defense - but no longer has any of the defensive (or offensive for that matter) acumen that probably carried them that far.  I just see a similar level of struggle there getting used to new coaches etc.  

Vegas was lucky last year and their kicker bailed them out a ton.  Adding Jones and Adams is great - but the LBs and secondary there are pretty much trash, the oline doesn't blow me away and adams and renfrow do a lot of the same things.  

Patriots seem to have gotten worse for the most part.  They're another Indy/Tenn style team that are annoying to play against.  

Miami - new HC, and just an unexciting group.  Should be .500 or something.  

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Titans and Colts both play the AFC west which is the tough division on paper.  But nobody wants to play either of these teams.

Both have good HC's.  Both play good defense - run and pass.  Both run the ball exceptionally well.  Both have tough matchup WR's.  They also get 4 games each against Houston and Jax.  That can help prop the record up.  

I see it as Division winners:

Buffalo

Baltimore

KC

Tenn

Wildcard:

Los Angeles

Indy

Cleveland

LA and Indy were on the cusp a year ago if not for some failure down the stretch.  Indy upgraded at QB, and LA upgraded on defense to address. 

I see Cincy's defense taking a big step back and them struggling in their division.  I see LV and Den being the weaker teams out west with new HC's, and that division largely cannibalizing itself.  

Denver had a strong defense - but no longer has any of the defensive (or offensive for that matter) acumen that probably carried them that far.  I just see a similar level of struggle there getting used to new coaches etc.  

Vegas was lucky last year and their kicker bailed them out a ton.  Adding Jones and Adams is great - but the LBs and secondary there are pretty much trash, the oline doesn't blow me away and adams and renfrow do a lot of the same things.  

Patriots seem to have gotten worse for the most part.  They're another Indy/Tenn style team that are annoying to play against.  

Miami - new HC, and just an unexciting group.  Should be .500 or something.  

I'd swap out Cleveland for Cincinatti, Watson hasn't played in a year and im not convinced he is a game changer for Cleveland until they build their team back up. Which they can't because they gave away their future and cap.

Think it will come down to the final games whether Raiders or Colts take the final spot. You are probably right with Indy, but Carr may take a step up with Adams as opposed to Ryan with a new team.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Given the alternatives, I think this is a pretty good move for the Colts in the short term

agree, was wondering why the Colts were saving their significant cap dollars, Ryan can still do damage and this may be a salary dump with limited value going back to ATL; Colts are in win now mode and I guess they prefer Ryan to Baker Mayfield asking price may differ this season, tho they can always try him next season...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

How stupid do the Washington foreskins feel right now with what they gave up for Wentz? :doh::lol: Indy just got Matt Ryan for a single 3rd Round pick. 

Ryan is also significantly older than Wentz and might be in his last year. Also there's talk the Falcons could go after Mariota because his former OC in Tenny is Atlanta's HC. Where's that leave Mayfield? The Seahawks on a one year try out? or does Cleveland just cut him and he sits out or plays backup for a year? 

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Man, the Colts keep trying the Elway theory and blowing it.   You can’t get guys that have never been greats and expect greatness when they are 40 years old. 

If they give up any real assets for him, their GM should be fired.  I could see a flier on Mayfield, giving Mariota another shot, Minshew, whatever, but Matty’s Corpse is on Ice at this point.   Just a bad move.  Love to see it from a team that’s built to contend.

He has been to the super bowl. If he has a solid run game and a good team around him, I think he can be effective. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

agree, was wondering why the Colts were saving their significant cap dollars, Ryan can still do damage and this may be a salary dump with limited value going back to ATL; Colts are in win now mode and I guess they prefer Ryan to Baker Mayfield asking price may differ this season, tho they can always try him next season...

I have no idea how much Ryan has left; however, IMO, he is an upgrade over Wentz and a better option than Mayfied, Garrappolo, etc.  He is not being asked to carry the team, just make better decisions than Wentz

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Ryan is also significantly older than Wentz and might be in his last year. Also there's talk the Falcons could go after Mariota because his former OC in Tenny is Atlanta's HC. Where's that leave Mayfield? The Seahawks on a one year try out? or does Cleveland just cut him and he sits out or plays backup for a year? 

well I for one would benefit from not seeing those commercials which depict him living at the stadium,  funny for 1 year maybe, but not more...

6 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

well I for one would benefit from not seeing those commercials which depict him living at the stadium,  funny for 1 year maybe, but not more...

I wonder how many more they had in the can? They probably expected a few more seasons of it.

There was a new one every time I saw one. 

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Wentz couldn't hold Ryan's jock is the point and the Going Commando's traded twice as much for a broken bum of a QB. :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.