Bills sign Duke Johnson!!

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess that means our running backs will have to Duke it out!  Is he a high-Motor guy?  He shouldn't let any Moss grow on his training plan!

OK, that's all I can think of for now, my work here is done.

Don't quit your main job.....🤪

• Haha (+1) 1

Devin Singletary is a darn good RB. He is averaging 4.7 yards for his career and you saw what he can do when the Bills OL was stabilized later in the year.

So, the Bills only need a backup RB that can catch the ball and pass block. Duke does both well.

But I will bet that the Bills draft a RB somewhere late in the draft.

Anyways, this is Allen's team and the Bills won't be running much. 

As long as the OL is stable, the Bills can easily get by with what they have at RB right now.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Me too.

Would've loved him 4 years ago.

Only 28 so we'll see what he can do with a real QB as a 3rd down back/ check down option.

We are not dealing with Frank Gore here......Duke can still play

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not a great argument as neither has an elite QB to help the balance. 

Imagine the Bills with Taylor or Henry.  

I think everyone would be talking about how under utilized they are

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well when we have a scrambling Josh on a designed run play that breaks a few ribs, don’t come crying to me. I appreciate Allen as a runner, but it’s a stupid risk considering what he means to this team. Just get a speed work horse RB that can do it all. 

Having a QB that can get yards with his legs will ALWAYS be a think as long as Josh Allen is our QB

You want the RB's to be better?   Improve the blocking in front of them

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

People may not see Fournette as being elite, but he's an above average 3-down RB.  Given the opportunity, he'd be a top 5ish back and Joe Mixon was just in the Super Bowl.  

The Bills *can win without an elite RB.  My argument is that it can happen far easier with than without.

I like fournette better than most fans.  I’d love to sign him.  His situation joining a SB team different.  $4M for an elite rb doesn’t happen.  

Yes, I agree, it would be easier with an elite RB.   Just as it would be easier by using the picks on other good players.  

again, if we acquire an elite rb, I’ll be happy.  I enjoy watching elite RBs play football.  I’m not against it…..I just don’t think it’s the best move for the team.  I certainly don’t think that selecting a rB @ 25 will prevent us from winning a SB….but it could.

say we draft a RB rd 1- 

- and the RG that we draft/sign ends up being terrible it could have a ripple affect on the entire OL and certainly have an affect on Spencer brown.

-the corner that we draft/sign that gets torched all year and we can’t stop a team in the playoffs.  
-and Diggs or Davis gets hurt and the Wr that we drafted can’t be a viable replacement.  

there’s a good chance that we won’t be adding any significant prices at any of those 3 positions, which may require us to find them in the draft.  But there’s still time in FA…..so we shall see

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

It is so funny watching the obsession with RBs, you can clearly tell the era of fan when it comes to that.

The reality though is in todays NFL 

Kicker has more value than a RB

Because teams are geared  to stop the passing attack, teams with an outstanding back do well regular season, but can’t sustain it against 3 good defenses in a row when playoffs come around. Would be great if we found a gem in the third round but too many critical needs before that luxury…

Edited by Meatloaf63

54 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I wonder how many teams would have wished they didn’t pass on Jonathan Taylor. The key to taking a RB high in the draft is being able to identify 1st round or upper 2nd round talent to justify it. The key is to find a ultra productive RB that has speed and can do it all. Taylor fit that criteria, Breece Hall fits that criteria. 4.39 speed, size comparison to Beast mode, and the catching abilities of McKissic. Absolutely I think any GM would be stupid to pass up a late first rounder on talent like this. 

Look, I would love to have Breece Hall on this team, and I don't believe there are many fans on this board that wouldn't want that type of talent at RB. The question is: Is it the best move for this team in this draft? I personally believe they should go interior Oline early and often in an attempt to build a really good line, with depth, in front of Allen. Any future championship goes through Allen and protecting him should be priority #1.

With that said, priority #2 should be surrounding him with the best skill players possible. if they did not want to go Oline at 25, I would rather they spend that pick on WR or Hall rather than defense. An upper echelon RB (behind a line that can actually block for him) would only enhance Allen's skill set. So, I certainly would not be upset if they chose Hall. But if they didn't, I wouldn't consider them stupid for not doing so. I think Oline is more important at the moment and even another upper echelon WR might be more impactful than Hall.

There are a number of directions they could go at 25 that would be justifiable (even a defensive pick). That is my primary point. In your crusade for Hall, you have become closed off to any alternative and refuse to acknowledge that there are other reasonable choices.

Edited by billsfan1959

This thread is pretty silly.  The fact of the matter is every time we're handing off the ball to the RB we are taking the ball away from our best player on the field.  The need for an "elite" RB is inversely correlative to the ability of your QB.  If we had a poorly rated QB, then you need an elite RB.  If you have a middle of the road guy, then you have a balanced attack. 

With Josh Allen, I just want a guy.  For now, Singletary is that guy and he's effective enough.  Wasting resources and cap space on "elite RB" is just handcuffing Allen by taking snaps away from Allen.  By all means, draft a RB in the 3rd-4th every year and sign a guy like Duke Johnson or McKissic.  I don't ever want to pay for production that takes away from the passing attack.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

Damn, this is the guy who converted the 3rd and 18 in OT in the Houston playoff game. That was a killer—right before the final killer when Watson escaped that sure sack.

To throw to... Taiwan Jones. I did not even realize it was him in that game (by that point was pretty drunk and in shock) until about six months later when another fan friend said "did you realize that it was...?"

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

This thread is pretty silly.  The fact of the matter is every time we're handing off the ball to the RB we are taking the ball away from our best player on the field.  The need for an "elite" RB is inversely correlative to the ability of your QB.  If we had a poorly rated QB, then you need an elite RB.  If you have a middle of the road guy, then you have a balanced attack. 

With Josh Allen, I just want a guy.  For now, Singletary is that guy and he's effective enough.  Wasting resources and cap space on "elite RB" is just handcuffing Allen by taking snaps away from Allen.  By all means, draft a RB in the 3rd-4th every year and sign a guy like Duke Johnson or McKissic.  I don't ever want to pay for production that takes away from the passing attack.

Not only that but even average backs should thrive on a team with Josh.  Teams are trying so hard to take Josh Allen away on the field that a running back with just decent ability AND blocking in front of him should be getting first downs all day

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Duke makes me want to Puke. I would be surprised if he made it through TC.

why?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ross Murdock said:

Does this impact Moss? Looks like Duke has similar skills, but seems more violent. (Of course all the highlights posted here were against the Jets). If he gains 300+ total yards it would be a nice signing. 

The thing that Duke gives you over the other running backs is pass catching and legit blitz pickup

I know that everyone wants a 1000 yards from LOS running back.......but that is not what the bills do to win games

Just now, Tenhigh said:

I think he was just looking for a word that rimed with Duke.  Thank goodness his name isn't Groaner instead of Duke.  

Yeah I hope it is not as fickle as that.....I mean I am willing to have the discussion but they gotta bring something worth discussing

• Like (+1) 1

It seems pretty cut and dry:

The Bills felt like they had at least one, and possibly two running backs on the roster that they like on 1st and 2nd down in Singletary (and maybe) Moss.

However, they felt like they could upgrade at 3rd down back. A guy who can pass block, turn checkdowns into 1st downs, and split out wide and contribute rather than just being a decoy. Their plan A was McKissic, but it didn't work out, so they went to a (likely much cheaper) plan B. Funnily enough, the plan B guy has more career production, higher yards per reception and yards per target than McKissic, is the same age, and will cost less.

Right now, IMO, you're looking at Singletary as the primary running back and Duke Johnson as the 3rd down and two minute offense back -- a guy who, given how often the Bills pass, should play significant snaps and could catch 50 passes in this offense. Given that the Bills like the third active running back on game days to be a special teams guy, two things are probably true: Zack Moss is on notice and is a trade candidate, and the Bills will likely either sign a special teams ace RB or draft a guy in the late rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Shady, OJ and FredEx never had a QB of Josh’s caliber. Thurman was an effect of bad coaching decisions 

Shady played here in 2018 with Josh.  I get your point but a top 3 RB does not equate to SB.  Now a top 3 QB....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.