A Few Thoughts About The 2022 Alabama Draft Class.....

Bill from NYC

It's that time again. With the draft approaching, the following is how I rate the Crimson Tide draft eligible players. Now, please do understand:

1) I am NOT trying to pass myself off as a scout, or any other type of "expert."  We do have a few on this board. I am by no means one of them.

2) My comments are based on years of watching these kids, however; many of the players that I list have only been a starter for 1 season.

3)) This group is a far cry from the 2020 class. In fact, I think that is one of the weakest Alabama classes that I have seen in quite some time.  Also, I must point out that the defenders I list had the advantage of playing with Will Anderson who is easily the best defensive  player in the NCAA (imo) and took much heat off of them.

OK? Here goes.....

1) Evan Neal - OT

Evan played at Guard and RT before switching over to LT last season. It was a smooth and easy transition. The kid is gigantic and very smart. He obviously wants to stay on the left side and lost lots of weight for the combines. I believe that he will be a fine NFL LT but he will need to watch his weight. Players his size scare me (Mike Williams Syndrome) but this kid is agile and of course super strong. If he gains weight and plays RT, I project him to be one of the best ever. If only he could be a Buffalo Bill! :( 

2) Josh Jobe - CB

Josh lacks true top end speed imo but he is an instinctive, aggressive play maker with good size and strength. He suffered through various injuries last year and struggled at times which will effect his draft status imo. I would love for the Bills to pick him up, but not before round 3 or 4. (Yes, I said this about the Bills drafting a CB). :) 

3) Shane Bolden - Slot Rec.

Small but not very fast tough guy who gets open and has decent hands. Now, how much of his getting open was due to the fact that defenders had to cover GREAT WRs and let him roam? Maybe quite a bit. Can he make it in the NFL? I'm not so sure but I hope so.

4) Bryan Robinson - RB

BRob is a genuine tough guy. He is a good downhill runner, tough to tackle, a very good pass blocker and a fine ST player. He got better as a receiver in his senior year. His downside? He isn't very fast and does not get off to quick starts. I like the kid but he is no Najee Harris. Not even close imo. I think that he will last into the 4th or 5th round. 

5) Jameson Williams - WR

Jameson only played 1 year at Bama, so my time watching him was obviously limited. What I can say for sure is that he got better as the season progressed. He has good hands and blinding speed. If he can get a defender to flinch, he is gone. He is thin and his shoulders seem a bit narrow on TV, but he has wiry muscles and doesn't appear to be scared over the middle. Now, would he be a great fit on the Bills? I think so. After he left with the knee injury, he was walking around with no limp (whatever that means). Josh Allen can throw as far as Jameson can run and long pass plays between those 2 are fun to visualize so yes, I would like to see the Bills draft him. Do I think that he is as good as Jalen Waddle or Davonta Smith? Sorry, I do not.

6) Christian Harris - ILB

Christian is a VERY talented, clutch player at what is now seen as a lesser value position. He took the field as a true freshman due to injuries to the starters and admittedly had little idea what to do. He seemed to improve every game. He is good in coverage, stout against the run, able to penetrate on blitz plays, and he is smart. I am very high on this kid and would love to see him in a Bills uniform.

7) Chris Owens - OL

Backed up at 3 OL positions filling in for injured player. He never really stood out. Probably will be a UDFA.

8 )  Christopher Allen - OLB/Edge

Very interesting player. He was GREAT in 2020 but was lost for the season in 2021 after getting injured in the opening game, in which he starred. He is a gifted pass rusher, an intense competetor, and he's good in every phase of the game. He played opposite Will Anderson when Will was a freshman who was still learning.  IF Chris stays healthy, I think that he will be a VERY good player in the NFL. 

9) John Metchie - WR

I like him alot, having seen him in every game he has played, including the "A Game" as a freshman where he stood out.  Metch had to wait his turn behind some spectacular receivers but he came through last season with flying colors, despite some injuries. He has very good hands and gets open, but what really stands out to me is the way he can catch the ball in tight coverage as well as make diving catches. He does not have lightening speed but he finds his way to the endzone. Would he be a good fit on the Bills? He sure would imo.

10) Phidarian Mathis - DT

Strong kid with good penetration up the middle. Not exceptionally fast and I'm not sure that he is stout enough to be an NFL Nose. He was a vocal team leader at Bama and I liked his effort. I think he will go in the 3rd, or after.

11) Labryan Ray - DE

Former 5 star who was often injured. Tide fans were always waiting for a brekout season. He a strong kid who plays hard. He is not exceptionally fast. If he can stay healthy there is upside. He will be a late round pick or a UDFA. 

12) Jaylen Armour Davis - CB

A big strong corner who ran good times at the combines. He missed time at Bama due to injuries, to include his entire freshman season. In 2021 he suffered a hip injury. JAD is a good player but is inexperienced when compared to the recent very good - excellent corners from Alabama. Still, he sure has talent and upside. With corners gaining in importance in this passing league (yeah, I said that), he might go earlier than I expect, but I view him as 3rd or 4th round.  I also really haven't seen so much of him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Thanks, always appreciated!

I love the thought of Jameson Williams catching deep passes from Josh or turning short gains into long ones… but 3rd or 4th down when I need a play, I think I’d rather have Olave, he seems more clutch to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

1) Evan Neal - OT

Evan played at Guard and RT before switching over to LT last season. It was a smooth and easy transition. The kid is gigantic and very smart. He obviously wants to stay on the left side and lost lots of weight for the combines. I believe that he will be a fine NFL LT but he will need to watch his weight. Players his size scare me (Mike Williams Syndrome) but this kid is agile and of course super strong. If he gains weight and plays RT, I project him to be one of the best ever. If only he could be a Buffalo Bill! :( 

A guy I have gone back and forth on a lot in terms of his ability to play left tackle at the next level. I think my view is ultimately he could, and I agree with you about his weight because at times he struggles moving laterally with his balance, however I don't think he is ever going to dominate in the NFL on the left side. My view is his best positional fit at the next level is at right tackle in a run heavy scheme where I think he would be an all-pro type player. I did end up with a first on him but its a low first because I think he is limited in terms of the premier position - LT.

2) Josh Jobe - CB

Josh lacks true top end speed imo but he is an instinctive, aggressive play maker with good size and strength. He suffered through various injuries last year and struggled at times which will effect his draft status imo. I would love for the Bills to pick him up, but not before round 3 or 4. (Yes, I said this about the Bills drafting a CB). :) 

Agree. In a zone scheme he is an early day 3 pick. If I was primarily a man team he'd be off my board because I am just not sure about his athletic ability. 

3) Shane Bolden - Slot Rec.

Small but not very fast tough guy who gets open and has decent hands. Now, how much of his getting open was due to the fact that defenders had to cover GREAT WRs and let him roam? Maybe quite a bit. Can he make it in the NFL? I'm not so sure but I hope so.

Undrafted free agent. Practice squad player who will need to contribute on teams to stick I think. 

4) Bryan Robinson - RB

BRob is a genuine tough guy. He is a good downhill runner, tough to tackle, a very good pass blocker and a fine ST player. He got better as a receiver in his senior year. His downside? He isn't very fast and does not get off to quick starts. I like the kid but he is no Najee Harris. Not even close imo. I think that he will last into the 4th or 5th round. 

I hadn't cottoned on to him as a teams guy. That helps him IMO, because I think he is a late day 3 pick as a running back. 

5) Jameson Williams - WR

Jameson only played 1 year at Bama, so my time watching him was obviously limited. What I can say for sure is that he got better as the season progressed. He has good hands and blinding speed. If he can get a defender to flinch, he is gone. He is thin and his shoulders seem a bit narrow on TV, but he has wiry muscles and doesn't appear to be scared over the middle. Now, would he be a great fit on the Bills? I think so. After he left with the knee injury, he was walking around with no limp (whatever that means). Josh Allen can throw as far as Jameson can run and long pass plays between those 2 are fun to visualize so yes, I would like to see the Bills draft him. Do I think that he is as good as Jalen Waddle or Davonta Smith? Sorry, I do not.

Agree he would be a fit for the Bills if making a full recovery. Also agree he isn't as good as Waddle or Smith. This is a deeper receiver class than the last one but it doesn't have the same top 10/15 talents that 2021 had in Chase, Waddle and Smith. 

• Like (+1) 1

6) Christian Harris - ILB

Christian is a VERY talented, clutch player at what is now seen as a lesser value position. He took the field as a true freshman due to injuries to the starters and admittedly had little idea what to do. He seemed to improve every game. He is good in coverage, stout against the run, able to penetrate on blitz plays, and he is smart. I am very high on this kid and would love to see him in a Bills uniform.

9) John Metchie - WR

I like him alot, having seen him in every game he has played, including the "A Game" as a freshman where he stood out.  Metch had to wait his turn behind some spectacular receivers but he came through last season with flying colors, despite some injuries. He has very good hands and gets open, but what really stands out to me is the way he can catch the ball in tight coverage as well as make diving catches. He does not have lightening speed but he finds his way to the endzone. Would he be a good fit on the Bills? He sure would imo.

10) Phidarian Mathis - DT

Strong kid with good penetration up the middle. Not exceptionally fast and I'm not sure that he is stout enough to be an NFL Nose. He was a vocal team leader at Bama and I liked his effort. I think he will go in the 3rd, or after.

These are the other three I have looked at. 

Harris has the skillset to be a successful modern linebacker. I think he is a round 2 guy. 

Metchie is a good player but I don't see the special and I think in the NFL he is probably a slot only guy. Personally I have him as a late 3rd but he could well go earlier.

Mathis I am a little higher than you on. He had a really good senior bowl week and I think in a move front he can be a good starter. Bit scheme specific but I definitely think he will go on day 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

These are the other three I have looked at. 

Harris has the skillset to be a successful modern linebacker. I think he is a round 2 guy. 

Metchie is a good player but I don't see the special and I think in the NFL he is probably a slot only guy. Personally I have him as a late 3rd but he could well go earlier.

Mathis I am a little higher than you on. He had a really good senior bowl week and I think in a move front he can be a good starter. Bit scheme specific but I definitely think he will go on day 2. 

No thoughts on Chris Allen?

24 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

No thoughts on Chris Allen?

I've only seen snippets Bill would be unfair of me to offer a view really. He has the length and bend you look for but I wasn't totally sold that is a refined rusher. I didn't love his hands and as regular readers will know hands are a big thing for me on my pass rushers. But that is not a considered view so I am prepared to be told that is not fair and I need to watch more of his game. 

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I've only seen snippets Bill would be unfair of me to offer a view really. He has the length and bend you look for but I wasn't totally sold that is a refined rusher. I didn't love his hands and as regular readers will know hands are a big thing for me on my pass rushers. But that is not a considered view so I am prepared to be told that is not fair and I need to watch more of his game. 

Well, he only played in one game this season so you would have to watch what he did in 2020. 

He IS an interesting story.

In 2020 Will Anderson was a freshman and was still learning.  Allen played opposite him and may have had more sacks than Will (I need to look it up).  After Allen got hurt, his backup (Drew Sanders) filled in and also got hurt. He transfered to Arkansas and will be a player to watch imo. Then, the third string (Dallas Turner) came in as a freahman and recorded 8 1/2 sacks in 8 games. He looks GREAT!  The current backup OLBs are 5 stars as well lol.

I expected Allen to come back but I suppose it was an awkward situation.

In any event if he is healthy, I expect him to compile some sacks in the NFL.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Here's my question on Williams:

1 - Is he more than just a deep threat?  How was his route tree?  While I like a burner, we need someone who can adjust on routes and even work different parts of the zone.  Like with Tyreek, teams adjusted with deep safeties and did the same to us.  Will he be able to adapt of just disappear?

2 - Can he catch with his hands?  I kept seeing him shoulder catches, even on deep throws

3 - Why couldn't he crack the starting line-up with his previous team? (I know that's just an opinion)

1) I think so but again, he is NOT Jaylen Waddle or Davonta Smith. That said, he has moves. Think a pre accident Henry Ruggs. 

2) His hands are good not great. He is prone to make the occasional spectacular catch.

3) That is a good question. No matter how good their top 2 are/were, keeping him on the bench must be viewed as an act of stupidity on the part of their coaches imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

On 3/24/2022 at 12:57 PM, Virgil said:

Here's my question on Williams:

1 - Is he more than just a deep threat?  How was his route tree?  While I like a burner, we need someone who can adjust on routes and even work different parts of the zone.  Like with Tyreek, teams adjusted with deep safeties and did the same to us.  Will he be able to adapt of just disappear?

2 - Can he catch with his hands?  I kept seeing him shoulder catches, even on deep throws

3 - Why couldn't he crack the starting line-up with his previous team? (I know that's just an opinion)

On 1 - I don't think it is as developed as say Olave (best route runner in the class) or Wilson, or frankly Burks. But I don't know that it is because he can't run a wider variety of routes or just he hasn't been used that way in college. I think it is an area he needs to develop in but I'm not ready to say he can't.

2 - Agree with @BillfromNYC I'd describe his hands as good but not great. 

On 3/27/2022 at 6:55 AM, GunnerBill said:

On 1 - I don't think it is as developed as say Olave (best route runner in the class) or Wilson, or frankly Burks. But I don't know that it is because he can't run a wider variety of routes or just he hasn't been used that way in college. I think it is an area he needs to develop in but I'm not ready to say he can't.

2 - Agree with @BillfromNYC I'd describe his hands as good but not great. 

Yeah he is one of those guys who can make these monster acrobatic catches but can sometimes (not consistently) drop an easy one.  The thing is, he can take it to the house in a second. I can't recall anyone catching up with him from behind, and he doesn't need to angle into the endzone to escape defenders. Just pure blinding speed.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.