Can a NFL coach play in a game?

Milanos Milano

9 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I thought this was somewhat interesting, and I’ve never seen this seriously discussed here. It’s been joked about having coaches come in during games as a substitute for poor play on the field, so I was legitimately curious to see if it has ever happened before. 

All I could find was this. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/29/nfl-declined-broncos-request-to-let-assistant-coaches-suit-up-and-play-qb/

As far as the league not allowing it, have they always never allowed it? Or has there been an instance where way back in the day, something like this has happened? 

if he's on the roster and under contract as a player, sure

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m sure the salary cap is a very large reason this could never happen.  ‘We’re signing Von Miller for $17m per year to be our assistant quality coach’

This is probably reason number 1. But you think they would allow for some emergency contingencies. 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:28 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Dan Reeves finished off the 1972 season and then became an assistant

According to this article he was a player/coach for the last 3 years of his playing career. Tom Landry was grooming him to be an assistant coach once he retired from the field.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/remembering-cowboys-player-coach-dan-reeves

Edited by holla83

49 minutes ago, holla83 said:

According to this article he was a player/coach for the last 3 years of his playing career...

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/remembering-cowboys-player-coach-dan-reeves

He's not listed as a coach on the 1970 team

he got hurt and was basically being transitioned to a player coach... Finally being named in 1972 when he retired

But those last two years he basically didn't play while just coaching... Like 80 carries in 3 years

Edited by Buffalo716

Frederick Douglass “Fritz” Pollard was the first African-American NFL player/coach. During his pro football career the two-time Brown University All-America played and sometimes coached for four different NFL teams, the Pros/Indians (1920-21/1925-26), the Milwaukee Badgers (1922), the Hammond Pros (1923, 1925), and the Providence Steam Roller (1925).

Hall of Fame

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.