Can a NFL coach play in a game?

Milanos Milano

I thought this was somewhat interesting, and I’ve never seen this seriously discussed here. It’s been joked about having coaches come in during games as a substitute for poor play on the field, so I was legitimately curious to see if it has ever happened before. 

All I could find was this. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/29/nfl-declined-broncos-request-to-let-assistant-coaches-suit-up-and-play-qb/

As far as the league not allowing it, have they always never allowed it? Or has there been an instance where way back in the day, something like this has happened? 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

Just now, Warcodered said:

I mean they'd have to actually sign them as a player, and they couldn't pay them as a coach, plus they'd have to obey all the rules around what they're allowed to require of a player.

True, I’ve never really believed it was possible in the current era of league rules, it was more of a morbid curiosity thing to see if it has ever happened in the leagues history. I posed it as a question in the title, because many people have always joked about it, and I wanted to let people see the link posted above to provide definitive proof that it is indeed not allowed. 

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

The league would not let the Broncos coach play QB when all their QBs were in covid protocols. 

Yeah, just posted the link about that in the thread. I find it fascinating that a team actually tried lol. I wonder if they were the first ones, or if there have been other attempts or actual historical instances of it ever happening in the history of the nfl. 

11 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The league would not let the Broncos coach play QB when all their QBs were in covid protocols. 

That was in part a case of "***** around and Find Out" by the Broncos.

If the Broncos QBs had been ruled out earlier in the week, during the time when a player in the NFL testing cadence could still be signed to the team or elevated to the practice squad, I believe Denver would have been allowed to sign their QB coach to fill one of the "Covid List" spots and he would then have been a player and could have played.

The reason the other 3 QBs weren't ruled out as close contacts until Saturday afternoon when the contact occured Thursday, was because the QB deliberately tried to "game" the system by "socially distancing" their contact tracers but then sitting next to each other to watch film:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/09/07/broncos-quarterbacks-attempted-to-cheat-contact-tracing-last-year

In an effort to fool the system, the four quarterbacks removed their contact tracing devices and placed them in four different corners of a meeting room before sitting together to watch film, according to the Los Angeles Times's Sam Farmer.

The deception was uncovered when the NFL reviewed facility video footage of the QB room, which they did to identify additional contacts.  Elway pleaded for a postponement or for the ability to sign and start the QB coach, but Goodell basically told him "play Stupid Games, win Stupid Prizes" and made them play.

I'm frankly not sure why that wasn't explained at the time, or what additional penalties the players faced for deliberately trying to "cheat" the system; they should certainly have been fined.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Interesting question!

As a complete aside, I've wondered why head coaches can't wear sharp tailored suits like they used to presuming they'd want to?   I recall a number of years ago Jack Del Rio and another coach (Mike Nolan maybe) did for a game, but the suits were made by Nike *just* for that game, so it was a big deal.

At the very least, I feel it's an untapped market for companies to sell clothing that's above the frumpy sweatshirt.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.