Who do you think Bills pick first in the draft and why do you think that player?

Wizard

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

I think Roger McCready, CB from Auburn. I believe he will be one of the highest rated CB’s when Bills pick.

Why Him?

• The obvious need for a CB and coaching staff strength in utilizing/maximizing talent in this area
  • He is viewed as a late first/early second talent. Good height, 6’2 and SEC experience against quality WR’s.
  • Publications and websites list his coverage skills and footwork as best traits.
  • Chiefs, Titans, Chargers, Raiders, and Browns all improved WR units.

I don't think him because he is a much better corner in man than in zone and the Bills are still going to be a zone heavy scheme. 

I think you might have right position, wrong player.

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It'll be CB or WR. Leaning towards Corner, as I feel there's a bigger drop off there after Round 1. I think it will be either Andrew Booth or Trent McDuffie at Corner or Jameson Williams or Chris Olave at WR.

I'd be extatic with Booth or Olave. Happy with Williams. Content with McDuffie although I prefer Gordon of the two Washington corners.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

If...and I stress IF this list is true, because I have no idea if it is, and they don't list their sources for this information....

Then it shows that the Bills are thinking WR, CB, and OG with their first round pick. It seems reasonable based on this visit list, as well as what we all know the top roster needs are, that whichever player they view as "BPA" among this list, that still happens to be on the board, will be their pick.

FNLNBkPXMAA5_hA?format=jpg&name=large

I'd say there is a 90%+ chance that a guy we take in first is on this list.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane takes a bit of a gamble and picks Kyler Gordon -- A redshirt sophmore CB from the Washington Huskies. The draftniks will hate it more than Rousseau. Very high ceiling, but a risk. Great tackler -- Runs through ball cariers. He is scheme versatile and has great short area burst. I think Frazier and McDermott could maybe make him a probowler. He also has studied dancing and Kung Fu. Just a wild guess. I read that he's projected to go late 1st or early 2nd. It looks like there is good value at CB in this range of picks.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Beane addressed the LOS in FA. He upgraded the pass rush with Von so it will most likely be CB in Rd 1. Who will be there when the Bills pick I have no idea. With Tre probably not back until Nov and Wallace gone I would be shocked if the best CB available isn't the pick.

I don't think it's necessary or even wise to take BPA in the first round. Depending on the depth available at each position, there are likely to be players that can start right away and be potential stars in whatever position your team needs most. Then you can go BPA from there.

I think they take a CB. They are short-handed there, and Tre is coming off a serious knee injury - I didn't realize until today that he also tore his meniscus - that's an injury that rarely heals completely and can cause lots of problems down the road. 

Edited by skibum

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Gun to my head I'll predict Daxton Hill, the DB from Michigan. He would be a versatile chess piece for our secondary, I imagine McDermott and Frazier would love finding ways to use him all over the field. He has elite athletic traits which is the one thing this secondary is missing. He ran a 4.38 40 which would immediately make him our fastest DB. He has some weaknesses in his mental game but will just be turning 21 in September so he has a lot of room to grow. It just strikes me as a McDermott/Beane type pick.

Interesting thought.  I’m not sure that would help the team much this year as he is primarily a safety.  He has played some slot corner, but I don’t think he has played outside.  Slot corner is ably manned by Teron Johnson, but outside is a wasteland currently.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I just think considering their defensive background with McD they’ll go defense over offense in the first round as they’ve done in every draft except when they drafted Allen…. At some point I hope that philosophy changes and they finally start stacking the offense. Maybe they prove me wrong…. Have to see how the rest of FA plays out.

I agree that they have tried to put the core pieces of their defense together through the draft, particularly in the 1st round; however, I'm not sure if their starting point in the draft is defense, or if it has been more circumstance driven.  I do think the pick is going to be influenced by where they stand at the end of free agency and how good they feel about White's rehab progress. They addressed the defensive line in free agency and if they truly believe White (who is still only 26) will be back to what he was, they don't need to draft a corner in the 1st. They really are good at finding good DBs later in the draft (and still may pick one or two up in free agency) and if the DL improves next year, it will only make the secondary better. So, I don't think defense is a priority at the top of the draft.

That leaves the offense and, IMO, the priorities on offense go interior OL, then receiver, and then RB. 

McDermott might be defense oriented; however, both he and Beane understand their path to sustained success and a championship goes through Allen. The very first thing Beane and McDermott addressed about the team after the season ended is making sure that the offensive line was a priority. I believe they think they are set at Tackle for the foreseeable future with Dawkins and Brown. At center, Morse is still only 29 and tied up for two more years. But, they need to start looking for his replacement and could take someone like Cameron Jurgens around the 3rd/4th, or Luke Wattenburg around the 6th.

What they need to address immediately is the Guard situation (both short and long term) and it is not a position they were, or will be, able to adequately address in free agency. Even if they retain Bates and Boettger returns from his injury, they are nothing more than backups. Saffold is a temporary solution as well as a mentor for the younger linemen, particularly in Kromer's system. So, they need some young Guards and they really need one to be able to start. There are two Guards in this draft that I believe are day 1 starters: Zion Johnson and Kenyon Green. If either one is available at 25, I think they almost have to select  whoever it is (my preference is Johnson), because they will not be on the board much longer than that. The next tier of Guards are 3rd round or later (although I also think they should select another Guard in the 3rd if either Donovan West or Cole Strange are available).

If neither Johnson or Green are available at 25, then they might go receiver. IMO, I don't believe they see McKenzie as their answer in the slot and that is where they need to go first. Unfortunately slot guys like Jahan Dotson and John Metchie are a reach at 25. If someone like Jameson Williams or Chris Olave fell to 25 - or even Trelyon Burks (who should go in the late 1st)- then they could go there as more weapons for Allen is always a good thing.

In the end, I'm with you in that I do not want to see a defensive player in the 1st. 

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Gun to my head I'll predict Daxton Hill, the DB from Michigan. He would be a versatile chess piece for our secondary, I imagine McDermott and Frazier would love finding ways to use him all over the field. He has elite athletic traits which is the one thing this secondary is missing. He ran a 4.38 40 which would immediately make him our fastest DB. He has some weaknesses in his mental game but will just be turning 21 in September so he has a lot of room to grow. It just strikes me as a McDermott/Beane type pick.

I am not sure he'd be my gun to the head pick, I do think there are others players more likely, but it isn't a bonkers suggestion. He wouldn't get on the field much in 2022 but I do think he would be a significant piece going forward and at some point they need to move on from Hyde and Poyer. 

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If they go WR in round 1, can they find a corner in 2nd that can play meaningful snaps early this season?

At the end of round 2 I think that's more doubtful to be honest. I think there are 7 guys who could come in and be impact starters in year 1 at corner: Booth, Gardner, Stingley, Gordon, McCreary, McDuffie and Elam. McCreary is a clunky scheme fit and to a lesser extent so is Elam. I have it as a top 3, then a group of 4 quite closely graded and then a significant drop. There is nobody else who I have given a 1st or 2nd round grade to. I expect all 7 of those to be gone by our second pick. After that there are guys who could play this year and maybe be serviceable but do you want a serviceable 7th round pick (Jackson) and a serviceable rookie starting the season at corner if Tre isn't healthy?

Like every other team, Beane’s  picks are BPA at a position of need, imo it will be a CB or WR in round one, 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Depends what they do the rest of FA… could see them adding a vet CB in which case I think you see right in they won’t go defense first round… if not I wouldn’t at all be surprised if it’s the pick…. And I don’t think you use a first rounder on a Guard. It’s not a big money position and if they do draft an offensive linemen in the first he should have some position flexibility in at least being able to play tackle… Guard just isn’t a position you use a first round pick on just because it’s a need unless a generational talent is there. 

I would normally agree with you on picking a Guard in the 1st round, and I think BPA is always something that should be a consideration in every pick. However, I think late 1st round is fine for Johnson, talent wise, and, again IMO, the Guard position has to be addressed in a serious manner. Given that, I think Kromer could make starters out of someone in the 3rd round like Donovan West or Cole Strange (9.95 RAS - and Kromer loves his athletic linemen).

We'll see.

Kyler Gordon - CB - Washington ... With White possibly missing part of the season and both Taron Johnson and Neal being slot corners, Dane Jackson is next up and he's a CB2 at best at this point in time and we need a CB1 to line up as a starter. Gordon could be the best available CB at the 25th spot in the draft. Signing a veteran CB for a year would be great but he'll have to work for food.

On the other hand, if Bates signs with another team, Guard becomes a huge issue because Ford should only be used in an emergency role. If Bates leaves, I think Zion Johnson is the pick.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the end of round 2 I think that's more doubtful to be honest. I think there are 7 guys who could come in and be impact starters in year 1 at corner: Booth, Gardner, Stingley, Gordon, McCreary, McDuffie and Elam. McCreary is a clunky scheme fit and to a lesser extent so is Elam. I have it as a top 3, then a group of 4 quite closely graded and then a significant drop. There is nobody else who I have given a 1st or 2nd round grade to. I expect all 7 of those to be gone by our second pick. After that there are guys who could play this year and maybe be serviceable but do you want a serviceable 7th round pick (Jackson) and a serviceable rookie starting the season at corner if Tre isn't healthy?

Thank you, that is why I asked.  I really think that if they don’t take a corner in round 1, they will have to consider trading up in the 2nd to get someone at corner who can play meaningful snaps this year.

If they sign a vet who can start, the need for playing early lessens some.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.