Von Miller $17.5M Compared To Past Bills Pass Rushers

Rigotz

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Hughes+ Addison for the last 2 years was 9 sacks and 9 sacks. If Miller can at least get 9 sacks by himself, the contract is basically break even at that point. 

For reference 9 sacks a year for the next three years would rank him third overall for pass rushers of his age in the last 22 seasons. Miller is good enough to do it but it's far from a guarantee. There are some future HOF'ers and HOF'ers in the table in the link below that didn't sniff 7 sacks a year. 

Stathead: Pass rushers aged 33-35 since 2000

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

For reference 9 sacks a year for the next three years would rank him third overall for pass rushers of his age in the last 22 seasons. Miller is good enough to do it but it's far from a guarantee. There are some future HOF'ers and HOF'ers in the table in the link below that didn't sniff 7 sacks a year. 

Stathead: Pass rushers aged 33-35 since 2000

I like Miller’s chances of doing it. He showed no slowing down in the super bowl. 

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Really? Seemed he changed the games quite a bit in the playoffs

Over on the Rams forum they were saying Von was only effective because he was paired with Aaron Donald. Not saying I believe it to be true, but who knows.

6 hours ago, Manther said:

Maybe Jerry got paid one year too long.  I don't think so.  I think he was one of our top 2 DE's last year.  Would of liked someone better than Jerry from another team, sure.

Hughes still got pressure and he still doesn't get the holding calls he deserves.  I never understood why he didn't get holding calls for 7-8 seasons, it was not right.

He's always been known as a pressure artist so I looked up last year's number and sure enough, he led the team. Had 26, which was also more than Jeffery Simmons (8.5 sacks), Carlos Dunlap (8.5 sacks) other Josh Allen (7.5 sacks).

Kind of nuts, really. He's got to have the worst pressure to sack ratio of anybody the past few years. Clearly the pressure is good and still valuable but it's wild how few sacks come out of them. I'd still bring him back for cheap if he can keep causing some chaos.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How is it double the price though? Mario and Hughes likely aren’t coming back and that = Von Millers money. It’s break even. 

As mentioned the contract is basically a 3 yr at 17.5 mill a year deal and jerry made about half of that.  So Von is making double of what Jerry or Mario did.  

8 hours ago, chongli said:

Over on the Rams forum they were saying Von was only effective because he was paired with Aaron Donald. Not saying I believe it to be true, but who knows.

I watched the games, I disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

to me there are too big changes from last year's OL to now

1: edge control.  houghs could rip up the pitch and get almost sacks like no one's biz, but outside of his outside foot was often pretty free country against us.  adding shaq who really was the best edge setter we had for a while, and miller in place of houghs gives an actual fundamental improvement in our DL play that can stop big screens and runs.

2:  big drive pass rush.  we got lots of sacks vs trash teams who were falling apart, but we tended to not get sacks vs good teams when we really really coulda used em.  how man times was mahomes open to get tackles and you see some bills player flailing around just missing him in the play offs?  if miller can shut down a drive in each play off game with a solid sack, that frankly mighta been super bowl victory for us last year (it certainly was for the rams).

so it doesn't really matter how the d looks right away (barring total melt down of course), or what the pff stat rankings for whatever are at whatever point.

we had the number 1 d in the nfl, and lead in like 4 different categories, and it wasn't good enough and we knew it wasn't good enough.  stats don't always tell the story, we'll know prolly by mid season if we built this d up to be where we want them.

Every one here rags on Jerry Hughes but he was the only one other teams really had to worry about play in & play out i hope they bring him back because i think he still makes a difference when he's on the field then pairing him with Von i think will be a good thing .

I remember when he had his best production was when Mario was here other teams were so worried about Mario they forgot that Jerry wasn't half bad him self .

Sure he's no longer that guy that will give you double digit sacks but given his constant pressure & being around the QB i think he can still give the team D more with Von on the other side i think he could help & i would like to see him retire as a Buffalo Bill with a Super Bowl victory he deserves it for what he's given the team & the city .

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I think this tells a really interesting story.

Von Miller's contract is effectively a 3-year $17.5M/yr deal.

Past 3 years of Bills Defensive Ends and what they were paid:

2021:

Jerry Hughes: $9.45M

Mario Addison: $8.1M

Rousseau ~$2M

Basham ~$1M

Epenesa ~$1M

2020:

Mario Addison: $9.97M

Trent Murphy: $9.78M

Jerry Hughes: $9.5M

Epenesa ~1M

2019:

Jerry Hughes: $12.9M

Trent Murphy: $8.8M

Shaq Lawson: $3.2M

Pairing Von with Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa not only upgrades the position, but actually decreases our total edge rusher spending as well.

It's still insane that we paid a guy like Murphy almost $10M per season to be a rotational 5 sack a season type of guy.

This is why getting a proven commodity like Von Miller at $17M a year is almost a steal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.