With the addition of Saffold & OJ Howard to the roster will the Bill play more 12 & 22 personnel?

BuffaloBill

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That last is true, but it depends some on how they list Gilliam and whether they keep him.  Last season some of our (2,1) packages were actually (1,2) with Gilliam as a blocking TE.

I think the Bills hope is that somewhere between the Saffold signing, a potential G draft pick, and Kromer as OL coach, the Bills can block more successfully with 5 OL instead of bringing in Doyle (who counted as a (1,2) set)

The bread-and-butter of the entire league these days is (1,1) personnel - it was the highest percentage grouping for all but 7 or 8 teams, I believe

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

But you have to remember those packages featured Beasley in the slot.  Beasley is gone.  It seems entirely possible that the three-headed monster of Dorsey, Brady, and Shula envisage replacing some of those plays with 2 TE sets, especially if we turn out to have another reliable pass catching TE who can run some routes

For sure, I agree with what you said in terms of the Beasley situation.

I just hope they can get "somewhat" of a replacement and keep the 11 personnel for the most part 

Like mix in more McKenzie against more man coverage teams, and find a cheaper veteran for more zone coverage teams. (I know, easier said than done as the bills are tight against the cap)

Edited by BillsFan130

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

For sure, I agree with what you said in terms of the Beasley situation.

I just hope they can get "somewhat" of a replacement and keep the 11 personnel for the most part 

Like mix in more McKenzie against more man coverage teams, and find a cheaper veteran for more zone coverage teams. (I know, easier said than done as the bills are tight against the cap)

I will be very disappointed if the Bills don't draft a WR, even 2 WR or a WR and a TE.

I wouldn't rule out some wheel-n-dealing for someone on our roster who might be down the depth chart and not in our plans, for a guy in a similar situation on another roster.  Think Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes equivalent, only at a lower level.  Moss for ???

12 - right now i think this might be the base offense. Davis, Diggs, Knox, Howard. Maybe even with 11 with McKenzie coming in for Howard.

22 - in Kromer's 4 years in LA they did not have a FB. Gilliam came out of college as a TE so I think he'll still have a role but i could also see us drafting a more traditional TE in the 3rd/4th round and not having any formations with a true FB

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will be very disappointed if the Bills don't draft a WR, even 2 WR or a WR and a TE.

I wouldn't rule out some wheel-n-dealing for someone on our roster who might be down the depth chart and not in our plans, for a guy in a similar situation on another roster.  Think Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes equivalent, only at a lower level.  Moss for ???

I'm hoping later rounds for the te. The biggest needs could be right now could be g and CB. White could come back before start season or week or whatever. Plus need some players behind him. ( Levi gone to Steelers) Wr might be the third need ( or 4th punter). 

Well i think we all can agree that if Beane really wanted to address the position, he'd simply bring back Duke Williams. But he hasn't so idk what that says about him.:P

We'll see an elevated role from McKenzie but also Kumerow, lets not forget him. Howard & Knox will soak up some targets.

Hopefully we can draft a burner wr who can step into a role on offense right away, ala Tyreek. Some underneath/high percentage plays that a rookie can learn quick but that go for YAC.

I'm not too concerned though. Beane will figure out something. Plus with Josh Allen, he makes everyone around him better. Robert Foster cough... he can do a lot with a little

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ya exactly.

They need to add 2 WRs in my Opinion.

One in the draft, either in the 1st or 2nd round. 

And then either in free agency , or like you said, a trade of some sort. 

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya exactly.

They need to add 2 WRs in my Opinion.

One in the draft, either in the 1st or 2nd round. 

And then either in free agency , or like you said, a trade of some sort. 

People forget that the word was Hodgkins was having a good camp for the last two years before injuries derailed him.  However, to the point of your post I think it is highly likely the BIlls choose a WR & CB in the first two rounds - your guess is as good as mine as to what order as it will truly depend on who is available.   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

Well i think we all can agree that if Beane really wanted to address the position, he'd simply bring back Duke Williams. But he hasn't so idk what that says about him.:P

We'll see an elevated role from McKenzie but also Kumerow, lets not forget him.

LOL on Duke Williams

As far as Kumerow - he may run the right routes and  be where he's supposed to be, but when he's seen playing time I see no evidence he can separate and get open against NFL level DBs

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

People forget that the word was Hodgkins was having a good camp for the last two years before injuries derailed him.  However, to the point of your post I think it is highly likely the BIlls choose a WR & CB in the first two rounds - your guess is as good as mine as to what order as it will truly depend on who is available.   

? did injuries derail Hodgkins this past off - season?  I thought he just got cut and put onto practice squad, no injuries.

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

As the roster is currently configured, they would have to.  There are two glaring holes on the roster right now: CB is mess beyond White who is injured and Taron Johnson and WR is a very weak position beyond Diggs and Gabe Davis.  Since this is a post about the offense, I think they are in a bad spot WR currently with only McKenzie who has shown flashes, but not consistent production in the slot and basically nothing behind Diggs and Davis on the outside. 

Considering this is a heavily pass-oriented offense, this is obviously not a great position to be in.

Unfortunately, CB is in worse shape so they almost have to take a corner in the first because it looks like the talent at that position falls off quickly.  The receiver class is deeper than CB (or so all that I am reading says), hoping that they can find a WR that can contribute this year in the second.  This need for a rookie to contribute probably means that they can't afford to pick Jameson Williams in the first, even if they would ordinarily wait for him to develop.

I don't pretend to be a draft expert...but have seen mocks where the Bills take a WR at 25 and there is still good value for CB in 2nd round . I wouldn't mind taking 2 CB

More than 10% sure yet not sure we're going to turn into to the staple of the offense. As this k we have 4 viable WRs (Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Stevenson) and 2 TEs (Knox and Howard). Throw another WR in the mix that can compete with McKenzie and like our WRs more. It looks easier as it's a good WR draft. I've set my sights on Jahan Dotson. He has speed and can play inside inside or outside and also a good punt returner as a great draft option.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I’m not really sure what Saffold has to do with this discussion, but I do expect a lot more 12 personnel this season.

Beane specifically mentioned it (albeit as a hypothetical) when asked what wrinkles Dorsey might add to the offense. Then, choosing to spend a few million on OJ Howard (after also reportedly having interest in Gronk and Engram) in a generally cap-strapped year all but confirms it. 

As for 22? Other than short yardage situations, I doubt we see that very often. Choosing to put Reggie Gilliam on the field instead of David or Diggs does not seem logical.

Well, we’ll really sell the run with Gilliam in there and we can run all kinds of tricky passes with so many receivers clumped up in a tight bunch like that. We’ll probably have a OT eligible as well. This way defenses will cover nobody not knowing who to cover at all.

Or, of course, we could run it with all those blockers in there. 
But I definitely see what you’re saying, Diggs is our man.

Another reason to run it is to force DCs to cover it in practice. But I love how Daboll figured out who would not be covered on all those red-zone TDs (not so much early in 2022, but late 2022 and 2021….

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

We'll see an elevated role from McKenzie but also Kumerow, lets not forget him. Howard & Knox will soak up some targets.

Hopefully we can draft a burner wr who can step into a role on offense right away, ala Tyreek. Some underneath/high percentage plays that a rookie can learn quick but that go for YAC.

I'm not too concerned though. Beane will figure out something. Plus with Josh Allen, he makes everyone around him better. Robert Foster cough... he can do a lot with a little

If we’re going to call ourselves a Super Bowl Favorite we have to address, CB, WR, OL, RB and Punter….

Right now, we need two of each at CB, WR and OL….

What the heck does Saffold have to do with 11 or 12 personnel?

29 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

If we’re going to call ourselves a Super Bowl Favorite we have to address, CB, WR, OL, RB and Punter….

Right now, we need two of each at CB, WR and OL….

Ehh, RB we are OK at but could improve. Singletary is good as the starter if used like late last year, but we need a better backup and 3rd down option. However, the obsession with running the ball on this board as if we are back in the 70s is a little stale at this point.

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I really hope they don't do too much 12 personnel.

To mix it in and use it as a curveball a little more? Sure.

But their bread and butter is 11 personnel and have had back to back season as a top 5 offence.

So who would that be Diggs , Davis & McKenzie ? 

I’m hoping the personnel turnover points to Dorsey’s offensive philosophy being one that doesn’t predispose to a tendency based on personnel grouping. The ability to attack with run or pass, short or deep, from each package makes the offense very difficult to defend.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.