A poor man's Patterson (Laviska Shenault Jr.)

filthymcnasty08

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

If we're looking at a "traditional" wr, I've always liked Jamison Crowder. He's definitely not a #1 type, but I think he would do a lot better than Sanders did here. Should be cheap enough too.

Then, draft a WR in the mid rounds, unless a stud falls to us in rounds 2-3.

I think Crowder (or Landry)  would certainly be excellent additions, but the problem is I don't think you can get them cheap.  Spotrac has them both at $12M.  

The cost of decent WRs is expensive, that's why it's important to grow our own.  Get the decent vet corner, go round 1 WR, round 2 CB, then IOL.

I am taking a flyer on Dante Pettis. He was just a ridiculous return guy in college and ran 4.32. He is a weird dude, and I think he may have had some trouble feeling things out in the NFL. Buffalo is the place ere you can come and be yourself as Shaq and J.Phillips can attest to. He had a nice rookie year then fell off a cliff and had some injuries, but at a league minimum type deal, there could still be upside there. That’s my guy I’m taking a shot on. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

Seems like a typical low cost, high upside signing that Beane would get in on.

Wouldn't expect much, but you never know.

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can't run routes and can't catch the ball. Other than that he is fine. 

Sounds like a perfect fixer-upper for the Chad Hall Property Management Firm.

For two years he has been talked about as a breakout player, and it hasn't happened yet. I know, he's on my keeper fantasy team.

He has been talked about as this all-purpose weapon, yet he only had 41 rushing yards last year.

He only had 5 games last year with 50 or more receiving yards. Only 1 game with more than 58 yards receiving. And 0 TDs (in 2021).

He flashed a bit his rookie year, but in 2021 there weren't even many flashes.

Granted, he is still very young and has been playing for a bad team with bad coaching and bad QB play. No doubt the Bills and Josh could get more out of him. But, I think that I would pass on him at this point. 

Yet Beane has been known to go after high draft picks who haven't yet met their potential. And there is the 3rd-year breakout WR thing, though lately more WRs seem to be pro-ready right away. I'm just not sure how or where he fits in our offense and if he would even be able to get snaps, let alone help the team in any significant way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stosh64 said:

He only caught 63 of 100 last year.  I don't imagine he would be better catching lasers from Josh. He also had a 4.58 40, when we are looking for speed he is a bit slower than Isaiah.

Coach that skill up.
Do not think Bills will go that route , but I feel he still has room to grow and an upside. Lets see where he ends up.

as mentioned, if we did not have Isiah back , maybe this would be someone to go after .

3 hours ago, Logic said:

He’d be good here, I think.

I don’t believe a 7th round pick gets it done. Woods was cheap because he’s a salary dump, soon-to-be 30 year old coming off a torn ACL.

Shenault is two seasons removed from being a 1st round pick, is young and healthy cheap labor.

If they’d take a mid round pick, say a 4th, I’d be in. Talented guy.

Shenault was a mid-2nd-round pick - 42 overall

The point that Woods brought a low pick because he's a salary dump and therefore Shenault might bring more is relevant.

But when healthy, Woods also has a strong track record of performance that Shenault lacks

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I like Velus Jones in the Deebo role, and he was also the most productive returner in college last year. 4.31 40. 

What a fun highlight video to watch. I haven't watched him before. Great balance! Catches the ball with his hands. Makes things happen after the catch (yac) rather than just catching long passes in the open field. Has a funny short stride.

Very interesting! Thank you for posting! 

Edited by somnus00
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Shenault. But as others have said, him being on a super affordable deal is going to cost a lot more than what Woods got. I don't imagine they're letting him go for anything lower than a 3rd. More likely a 2nd.

But Brandon Beane has been pretty transparent that he wants speed in the WR core. I'm pretty sure that's why you've seen us do nothing in FA. His plan is to get a fast WR in the Draft. Maybe two - one higher, one lower. And as good as Shenault is, he doesn't provide that.

• Vomit 1

He was really disappointing last year..

Major drop issues and his route running did not improve at all and maybe even regressed. Came off a decent rookie year he should have been able to build on and basically sh!t the bed.

So you want to add an underachiever with drop issues to the WR room??

Edited by Big Turk

4 hours ago, Logic said:

He’d be good here, I think.

I don’t believe a 7th round pick gets it done. Woods was cheap because he’s a salary dump, soon-to-be 30 year old coming off a torn ACL.

Shenault is two seasons removed from being a 1st round pick, is young and healthy cheap labor.

If they’d take a mid round pick, say a 4th, I’d be in. Talented guy.

I liked him coming out of college .,but no chance they should part with a 4th… they found Gave  Davis in the 4th so don’t under estimate that value for a roll of the dice chance that Shenault can turn it around…

6th would be the most I would like to see them offer to find out…

33 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I like Shenault. But as others have said, him being on a super affordable deal is going to cost a lot more than what Woods got. I don't imagine they're letting him go for anything lower than a 3rd. More likely a 2nd.

But Brandon Beane has been pretty transparent that he wants speed in the WR core. I'm pretty sure that's why you've seen us do nothing in FA. His plan is to get a fast WR in the Draft. Maybe two - one higher, one lower. And as good as Shenault is, he doesn't provide that.

I think they’d give him up for a 3rd in a heartbeat. They should give him up for a 5th if offered.  He’s not very good.  He was a 2nd round pick….and selected by Trent Baalke. The worst GM EVER.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.