A poor man's Patterson (Laviska Shenault Jr.)

filthymcnasty08

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

If we're looking at a "traditional" wr, I've always liked Jamison Crowder. He's definitely not a #1 type, but I think he would do a lot better than Sanders did here. Should be cheap enough too.

Then, draft a WR in the mid rounds, unless a stud falls to us in rounds 2-3.

Crowder has always been solid even with bad qb play

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think they’d give him up for a 3rd in a heartbeat. They should give him up for a 5th if offered.  He’s not very good.  He was a 2nd round pick….and selected by Trent Baalke. The worst GM EVER.

You're right, for some reason I thought he was a late 1st. He was selected 42nd overall. And I recall his falling there was considered a steal. In retrospect in looking into him more, I think a 4th is probably the sweet spot. Either way, I don't think he's a fit as he doesn't have the speed Beane is looking for.

And I thought this thread was in regards to him being shopped. I haven't seen anything saying Jacksonville is interested in moving him. People are jumping to that conclusion based on the signings of Christian Kirk and Zay Jones.

But I'm not convinced he's on the market. If my starting WR's were Kirk and Zay - I'd want a pretty decent 3rd and 4th option. Hell, we have Diggs, Davis, and McKenzie and we're still in the market. Who's to say Jacksonville would give up on a high 2nd that quickly?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think Crowder (or Landry)  would certainly be excellent additions, but the problem is I don't think you can get them cheap.  Spotrac has them both at $12M.  

The cost of decent WRs is expensive, that's why it's important to grow our own.  Get the decent vet corner, go round 1 WR, round 2 CB, then IOL.

12$ for Crowder? Pass.

1 hour ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Crowder has always been solid even with bad qb play

He just so brittle but I agree Crowder is a good slot option. 

41 minutes ago, Dopey said:

12$ for Crowder? Pass.

I could see 3$ or 4$.

1 hour ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Signing guys like Shenault are how GM's become poor men.

Shenault is a good role player I know many drooled over him in the draft. I didn't see it. I say this ironically lusted over Patterson coming out. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Looks like the new Jax regime has no use for Laviska Shenault.  He's only 23.  He has the size/tools similar to a Cordarrelle Patterson/Deebo Samuel.  Can run it out of the backfield, screens/sweeps and is a good short/middle area target with YAC upside.  

Has had issues getting open and drops. 

2y in league and 2 awful humans as HC (2 losing systems):  Marrone/Urban Meyer 

Could be a change of scenery to a winning org that lights the fire on his skillset.  

Could also be our 2 TE system and McKenzie eclipse anything we could do with him.  

Interesting weapon for an imaginative scheme

No mentions yet of the price tag Jax has on him.

Lets look at his combine scores to start.  Slow 40 for a WR, especially a gadget guy.   Did not do agility drills due to lingering injuries. 

He was used at all 3 WR positions at Colorado but has not shown same position flexibility in NFL.  Basically a slow footed slot WR.  Not a hybrid RB like Samuel or Patterson.   0 TDs last year.   No ST return ability.   Would have trouble getting on the field here.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

What a fun highlight video to watch. I haven't watched him before. Great balance! Catches the ball with his hands. Makes things happen after the catch (yac) rather than just catching long passes in the open field. Has a funny short stride.

Very interesting! Thank you for posting! 

I'm really hoping we draft a premiere wr in round 1 or 2. Velus Jones would be a later round pick if we draft a 2nd receiver. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Looks like the new Jax regime has no use for Laviska Shenault.  He's only 23.  He has the size/tools similar to a Cordarrelle Patterson/Deebo Samuel.  Can run it out of the backfield, screens/sweeps and is a good short/middle area target with YAC upside.  

Has had issues getting open and drops. 

2y in league and 2 awful humans as HC (2 losing systems):  Marrone/Urban Meyer 

Could be a change of scenery to a winning org that lights the fire on his skillset.  

Could also be our 2 TE system and McKenzie eclipse anything we could do with him.  

Interesting weapon for an imaginative scheme

No mentions yet of the price tag Jax has on him.

i was a huge fan of his in college and wouldn't mind seeing what he can do here.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I aways thought he was productive for the jags......one of their go to players

If 4 catches for 40 yds and 1 rush for 4 yds is a go to player then you would be correct.  I would expect much better to trade for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.