Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well written Eman.  He left us in a horrible cap situation, and yes I know Cooter (Nix) start d this mess.

I hope Whaley gets a position as

a lead scout or in charge of scouting for the Steelers or another Team.

Any evaluation of Whaley needs to be done in context.

Jim Overdorf persisted thru multiple GMs and owners. 

It was not until Beane became GM was he told he could choose to get his advice or ignore him.

I think it is written into his contract that he will always have a job.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/5/2022 at 7:35 AM, eball said:

If we’re all being honest, I think the conversation about Whaley starts and ends here.  He is a very good judge of talent, but horrible at the business side of football — which is what being a GM requires.  Dude didn’t understand or learn how to manipulate the salary cap at all.

Great example of the Peter Principle — being hired beyond his optimal capacity.

I’ll take any of his opinions on the salary cap or what teams can or can’t do financially with a huge grain of salt.

Bump.

Great call, Whales!

What a moron.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Beerball said:

You bumped yourself? That's illegal in 14 states and Hawaii. 

Dude, we had a grown man start a new thread and use his own username as its title. It's open season! 

I remember back when Nix was hired, many pundits criticized the move -- citing an up-and-comer in the Pittsburgh pipeline named Doug Whaley as a more viable option. As fate would have it, Whaley wound up taking an assistant position as an understudy to Nix. Given Nix's age, it was pretty clear that Nix was a short-timer, and that Whaley's time serving under him would be an apprenticeship.

Nix hired Doug Marrone not long before he left. Given that he knew he was heading out the door, I suspect that Whaley must have had some input on the hire -- just as I suspect that he must have had some say-so on the drafting of E.J. Manuel a couple of months later. Still, it is quite clear that Whaley and Doug Marrone did not get along. I still remember the meltdown that St. Doug had during training camp of 2014, when he had to be restrained from physically going after Whaley (and Russ Brandon).

When Marrone left, the reports were that Whaley wanted Hue Jackson as the new head coach and was overruled by Brandon and the Pegulas to hire Rex. Obviously Jackson would have been a disaster of a hire (even worse than Rex) -- but if the Jackson hiring had occurred, it is likely that Schwartz would have stayed on as DC, so who knows?

As a whole, Whaley's time here was a mixed bag. He did a decent enough job scouting and running the war room on draft day -- but failed to ever land us a genuine franchise QB. As a visionary roster/team builder he was lousy. As others said, he was OK making patch moves here and there -- but never had a long term plan and did not do a great job managing the cap.  Whaley also never seemed comfortable talking to the press or representing the franchise. A larger than life personality like Rex, who craved media attention, helped shield Whaley during that time-frame.  But when Rex was fired, Whaley wasn't even comfortable standing up in front of the media -- and hung his interim coach out to dry. He's been making media rounds lately and seems much more comfortable in these regards -- so maybe he has improved in terms of his communication and presentation skills. Still, I doubt that he will ever be the guy that is able to build a contender from the ground up.

Having a polished, forward-thinker like Beane on hand now, we see just how much Whaley was lacking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/5/2022 at 3:38 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Whaley just made it on NFLR as a regular I think yesterday or at least a fill in for the regulars.  He was on the opening drive with Solomon Wilcots.

As far as his previous GM experience, he did too much patchwork, vs. having a methodical plan like Beane.

I don’t dislike the guy, but rather he is a pro personnel scouting kind of guy.

Maybe the second time around he improves on his mistakes.  Carroll improved the second go around from the Jets to eventually the Hawks.  You could say the same about BB from Cleveland to NE.  I know these are coaching examples, but you get the point.

He seems like a much better fit than the other two.

Your example of Whaley taking a patchwork type of approach is a good one. That seems to be one of his biggest mistakes team building wise. 

Beane’s approach was greatly aided by us making the playoffs year 1 (even though he didn’t draft that year). Imagine if we didn’t make the playoffs that first year, while “tanking”. Going into year 3 (year 2 for Josh) and Beane’s seat would have been getting warm. I’m glad everything worked out the way I did though. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Bump.

Great call, Whales!

What a moron.

You realize didn’t say he would trade Diggs.  He simply said they have a decision to make whether to extend him or trade him with all these huge contracts given to WRs.  There’s literally zero reason to be bashing what he said.  It was all valid 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Your example of Whaley taking a patchwork type of approach is a good one. That seems to be one of his biggest mistakes team building wise. 

Beane’s approach was greatly aided by us making the playoffs year 1 (even though he didn’t draft that year). Imagine if we didn’t make the playoffs that first year, while “tanking”. Going into year 3 (year 2 for Josh) and Beane’s seat would have been getting warm. I’m glad everything worked out the way I did though. 

Hey bud, thanks and not to get all Oliver Stone conspiracy theory, but I have a hard time believing Beane didn’t have any off the record conversations with McD.  They were tight in Carolina, and Whaley was fired the day after the Depth and in comes Beane.  

I just have a hard time believing they never talked at all.  Anyway, I just love the methodical plan Beane had for this team.  It’s so nice we have both locked up for around 5 years.  Let’s hope on two to three they extend both for another 5.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

You realize didn’t say he would trade Diggs.  He simply said they have a decision to make whether to extend him or trade him with all these huge contracts given to WRs.  There’s literally zero reason to be bashing what he said.  It was all valid 

Nope. 

He said Diggs could be traded because the Bills can't afford to keep him.  No one else had suggested this. 

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hey bud, thanks and not to get all Oliver Stone conspiracy theory, but I have a hard time believing Beane didn’t have any off the record conversations with McD.  They were tight in Carolina, and Whaley was fired the day after the Depth and in comes Beane.  

I just have a hard time believing they never talked at all.  Anyway, I just love the methodical plan Beane had for this team.  It’s so nice we have both locked up for around 5 years.  Let’s hope on two to three they extend both for another 5.

Yeah a lot of posters still strangely claim that Beane was someone who Pegula noticed on a list of GM candidates given to him.  

lol

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

Thanks for posting, Mrs. Whaley!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.