Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The outrage at me when I called his 2016 "off the bus starters" draft "uninspired" was quite impressive.............now the same people think he is trash and claim he always was. :rolleyes:

You can't really judge a GM by who they pick BEFORE the picks actually play, so it's an assessment from fans and not professionals. So you were right one time... it doesn't mean that you thought Whaley was trash the whole time either. 

The Steelers are screwed if they give him the job because HIS TRACK RECORD has been unimpressive.

8 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

EJ colors my perception, of his entire Tenure..

Believe it or not, but I didn't really slam EJ until Bills4Ever or whatever his name was started going crazy for him that 2015 preseason, then full-blast after London... and I didn't really slam Whaley until after that 2015 season, 3 years as GM was more than enough time + he refused to dump EJ.. Since 2017, I only speak up against those who try to defend anything & anyone from the Drought Era (aka defending the indefensible). No one ever says Littman was any good so there's no need to say anything, but there are still Ralph and Whaley apologists out there. Revisionist Drought-Era history not only insults the fanbase who lived thru it, but can confuse younger fans who don't know any better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

I hope he gets the job and kills it. I'm beyond ecstatic that we got Beane, I wouldn't trade him for any other GM.

I liked Whaley. He built some solid teams despite all the disfunction around him. Don't get mr wrong, he was a flawed character, but I don't doubt for a second that he gave it his all.

Not sure why anyone would cheer for the guy to fail, when he gave it 100%, never did anything malicious, and built teams better than I'd previously seen in my adult life (I'm 34).

Hope he gets it, and good luck, and would love to see him build a good team around Pickett!

Will it happen? I dunno, but I'm sure he learned a lot, and hope he succeeds. Wishing for the dude to fall on his face, to me, is weird. Yet here we are 🤷‍♂️

It was a joke guy- I don’t no the man personally and he did a terrible job in Buffalo, it might be the best you seen since your only 34 but that speaks to how bad we were for 20 years. No harm meant brother I’m sure old Dougie is doing just fine. 😉

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Believe it or not, but I didn't really slam EJ until Bills4Ever or whatever his name was started going crazy for him that 2015 preseason, then full-blast after London... and I didn't really slam Whaley until after that 2015 season, 3 years as GM was more than enough time + he refused to dump EJ.. Since 2017, I only speak up against those who try to defend anything & anyone from the Drought Era (aka defending the indefensible). No one ever says Littman was any good so there's no need to say anything, but there are still Ralph and Whaley apologists out there. Revisionist Drought-Era history not only insults the fanbase who lived thru it, but can confuse younger fans who don't know any better.

My problem with your approach to the drought era is you are "it was bad so everything was wrong." And that I'm afraid is just a drastic simplification, in the exact same way that we have fans now who will say "How can you criticise Beane we are one of the best teams in the league?" Because things are good does not mean everything they do is right. Life doesn't work like that. It is much more nuanced, much more complex than that. Nix got some decisions right, so did Whaley, so (even) did Russ Brandon. They didn't get enough right. Beane and McDermott have got some wrong but they have got enough right to have credit in the bank. 

And I was plenty critical in the drought era of the stuff they got wrong. Just as I am now. But each action should be considered on its merits not lumped in with everything else.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

My problem with your approach to the drought era is you are "it was bad so everything was wrong." And that I'm afraid is just a drastic simplification, in the exact same way that we have fans now who will say "How can you criticise Beane we are one of the best teams in the league?" Because things are good does not mean everything they do is right. Life doesn't work like that. It is much more nuanced, much more complex than that. Nix got some decisions right, so did Whaley, so (even) did Russ Brandon. They didn't get enough right. Beane and McDermott have got some wrong but they have got enough right to have credit in the bank. 

And I was plenty critical in the drought era of the stuff they got wrong. Just as I am now. But each action should be considered on its merits not lumped in with everything else.

Oh I will give credit for certain individual moves. For instance, Kyle Williams was a great draft choice and Lorax was a great free agent signing. But 17 years is 17 years. The bottom line is they all miserably, epically failed at their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Rico said:

Oh I will give credit for certain individual moves. For instance, Kyle Williams was a great draft choice and Lorax was a great free agent signing. But 17 years is 17 years. The bottom line is they all miserably, epically failed at their jobs.

Some miserably failed. Some failed less miserably. The period between 2005 and 2013 when we didn't even post a single .500 season was a miserable failure. 2014-2016 when we were a .500 football team over a 3 year stretch still ultimately meant coming up short, but I really find it difficult to lump it in with some of the abject nonsense that came before. There was still plenty that was wrong.... but those teams actually had some talent and were in most games despite pretty lacklustre Quarterback play and two years under Rex of the worst coaching I have ever witnessed in my fandom. 

45 minutes ago, Rico said:

Kyle Williams WAS a great draft choice. That said, look at the 4 duds the Bills drafted before him in 2006. I know, a case can be made that other teams also passed on Kyle but that isn't the point imo. 

I also believe that a certain amount of luck is involved. When the Bills passed on Mahomes to trade back  17 spots and draft a corner, it was plain stupidity. Am I happy with Allen? MORE than happy but they were very lucky. 

No team has perfect drafts but the Bills have lacked a good draft philosophy for decades. Do they have a good one now? I guess we will know soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There was still plenty that was wrong.... but those teams actually had some talent and were in most games despite pretty lacklustre Quarterback play and two years under Rex of the worst coaching I have ever witnessed in my fandom. 

That is hard to argue with. At one point Rex had Dareus lined up behind scrimage and jumping up and down, flapping his arms. He looked like a big penguin. 😒

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Some miserably failed. Some failed less miserably. The period between 2005 and 2013 when we didn't even post a single .500 season was a miserable failure. 2014-2016 when we were a .500 football team over a 3 year stretch still ultimately meant coming up short, but I really find it difficult to lump it in with some of the abject nonsense that came before. There was still plenty that was wrong.... but those teams actually had some talent and were in most games despite pretty lacklustre Quarterback play and two years under Rex of the worst coaching I have ever witnessed in my fandom. 

One of our biggest problems through that whole period was never been quite bad enough to land a top QB. Donahoe by all accounts badly wanted Big Ben. But we couldn't get up that high so got JP instead. 

That was one of the depressing things about that time. At least Jags fans got the number 1 pick to look forward to and knew they could go get a 'generational' QB. Same with the Colts. We just seemed to tread water the whole time with guys like Holcomb and Orton or praying for a Brady type find with someone like Trent Edwards.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

One of our biggest problems through that whole period was never been quite bad enough to land a top QB. Donahoe by all accounts badly wanted Big Ben. But we couldn't get up that high so got JP instead. 

That was one of the depressing things about that time. At least Jags fans got the number 1 pick to look forward to and knew they could go get a 'generational' QB. Same with the Colts. We just seemed to tread water the whole time with guys like Holcomb and Orton or praying for a Brady type find with someone like Trent Edwards.

True but some of those mid to late 00s teams were not just a QB away. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They still all failed. There are no participation trophies in the NFL, especially when it comes to the front office. You either get the job done or you don’t. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, it is the lumping all in together I object to.

See, I would say it got worse with each passing year. 10 years of no playoffs isn’t as bad as 17 years of no playoffs. :D

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, it is the lumping all in together I object to.

The individual you're wasting your time with proved long ago that they are more interested in pursuing a creepily obsessive crusade than in accuracy or honesty.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

The individual you're wasting your time with proved long ago that they are more interested in pursuing a creepily obsessive crusade than in accuracy or honesty.

Just keeping it real as always. :D

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.