Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes, it was in the same stupid 2006 draft.  We walked into that draft with the #8, 2 early seconds and 2 early thirds.  Those 5 picks resulted in Donte Whitner, John McCargo, Ashton Youboty, and Ko Simpson. This was Rich Kotite level idiocy. 

Lil Donte and Gimp McCargo. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I appreciate your post and thank you for the insight. That said, I strongly disagree with the above.

I am sure that Levy had more of a say as GM than you described. First of all, he brought in his clone in Dick Jauron. Together, they were two clueless men who had NO chance at winning, and I don't give a damn about their college degrees. My daughter is an Ivy League Grad too. I love her but would not want her running the Bills.

Levy for many years stressed just how much he valued the secondary and special teams. The first thing he did as GM was devote the 2006 draft to the secondary (despite other glaring needs), trading away a premium draft pick while doing so. 

When our great players like Kelly, Andre, Bruce and Thurman were getting old, Marv (as coach) was not drafting their replacements, the Bills were drafting cornerbacks. Do you think that Marv had no say in this? 

During the season when we were so bad that we wound up with the #4 pick in the draft, a reporter asked Marv what he thought was wrong with the Bills. His reply: "special teams."

Count me as one who believes that the Bills didn't reach those 4 super bowls because of Levy. I think that we reached them in spite of Levy.

I am sorry if the above offends anyone but it is jmo, and I guess this is what we are here to express.

Again, you can feel free to disagree but it’s the truth. He spent his days signing books for club seat holders (which some of you received). He LITERALLY slept through the biggest scouting meeting of the year. Marv was nothing more than a figurehead. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Will you FINALLY agree that everyone you mentioned in the above post from the Bills with the exception of McBeane & Pegs failed at their jobs?:D

I’ve just tried to provide clarity as to what actually happened vs. people’s perception. That era I know well. People can feel free to judge whoever they want. My goal is to just make sure that they attribute the pros and cons to the right people. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve just tried to provide clarity as to what actually happened vs. people’s perception. That era I know well. People can feel free to judge whoever they want. My goal is to just make sure that they attribute the pros and cons to the right people. 

No further questions, the prosecution rests. :D

Yes, it was in the same stupid 2006 draft.  We walked into that draft with the #8, 2 early seconds and 2 early thirds.  Those 5 picks resulted in Donte Whitner, John McCargo, Ashton Youboty, and Ko Simpson. This was Rich Kotite level idiocy. 

I couldn't find the trade for McCargo but wow yeah that's pretty dumb. I thought we only had one pick in 2nd and 3rd.  

Ko Simpson was worth millions so maybe it wasnt that bad. 

/

• Haha (+1) 1

That draft resulted in 16 years and counting of you ranting about drafting defensive backs as the greatest existential threat to western civilization.  

• Agree 2

Whaley belongs as a scout, or managing scouts.  He’s not a GM.

All of this other stuff is way off topic, but if you guys want to neverendingly debate Marv as GM or anything else have fun.  FWIW he sucked as a GM  IMO.  He was a good coaches that was out coached in all four SB’s.  He did get us there and deserves credit for his abilities and motivations.  

People my age fondly remember him when we were young.

Whatever happens to Whaley now, I hope he finds something right for him and whatever team he goes to and can contribute to the team.

Hes no Beane, that is for sure.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Whaley belongs as a scout, or managing scouts.  He’s not a GM.

All of this other stuff is way off topic, but if you guys want to neverendingly debate Marv as GM or anything else have fun.  FWIW he sucked as a GM  IMO.  He was a good coaches that was out coached in all four SB’s.  He did get us there and deserves credit for his abilities and motivations.  

People my age fondly remember him when we were young.

Whatever happens to Whaley now, I hope he finds something right for him and whatever team he goes to and can contribute to the team.

Hes no Beane, that is for sure.

Marv had a roster stacked with future Hall of Famers who won despite his coaching ineptitude.  A better coach would have taken that team all the way AT LEAST two of those four years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gugs, I know.  I was kind.  My dad thinks he blew it specifically on the Giants game as Thurmon was killing the running game for the Giants.  They played 8 back.  We could’ve destroyed them until BB as the DC would’ve move guys up and then Reed or Beebe would’ve killed them in the air.  Bad coaching in the big game.

it wasn’t jut they went out drinking the night before, and they did.  Really sad they take that game that much for granted.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is just such a constantly horrible take. The decision to trade up for Watkins was in no way awful. It's what tons of GMs, including our own did. Sammy Watkins was universally seen as a generational talent that should have been a bigger star than Hopkins. He had all the making of it. Apparently he also had a drug problem and add in some injuries and well - there goes the top of the potential of a promising career - a career that's still going for how "awful" that pick was.

Going out and getting Sammy after they got their QB is no different at all than going out and getting Diggs the way we did. It's no different than the Bengals getting their WRs. Teams with Young QBs like to surround them with talent. If Sammy turned into the 1500 yard, 15TD monster he was supposed to be, and EJ didn't flame out, no one would would ever make this argument.

Judging capability based on results is lazy and ineffective, because it's not reproducible. creating and executing a repeatable process for success is far more useful. GMs get graded almost exclusively on whether or not the QB works out. It's a reality, but if we want to consider ourselves smarter than the average fan, we should recognize that there's far more important things that go into evaluating GMs.

I completely disagree - it was a bad move.   By your logic, you can justify just about any highly drafted player as a good selection.  This was a home run swing by a GM desperate to make a splash for a new owner.

The trade was EJ was panned by just about every analyst and former GM.  Everyone said the same thing which turned out to be 100% correct - “you don’t make that kind of move unless you’re certain you have a QB.”  

I remember Bills fans had hoped the trade would be like Atlanta trading up for Julio Jones…the difference is EJ was not Matt Ryan.

Selecting Sammy and doubling down on EJ were terrible moves that set the franchise back.   Even Jim Monos admitted this

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Rico said:

Lil Donte and Gimp McCargo. :lol: 

"Dead Weight" McCargo.

Best day as a Bill..........October 14, 2008........when traded to Colts for a 4th rounder in the 2009 draft.

Worst day as a Bill........October 15, 2008.........when they sent him back and rescinded their offer.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I thought this thread was a joke.

I can't wait for the announcement...........if Whaley gets the Steelers GM job some heads are going to explode on TSW.:lol:

Aside from a very small but vocal group of fans who absolutely hated the trade up for Watkins at the time...........Whaley could do no wrong in the eyes of most fans.........he was the boy wonder for most of his time in Buffalo.

The outrage at me when I called his 2016 "off the bus starters" draft "uninspired" was quite impressive.............now the same people think he is trash and claim he always was. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

🙏🏻 He gets the job!!! 

I hope he gets the job and kills it. I'm beyond ecstatic that we got Beane, I wouldn't trade him for any other GM.

I liked Whaley. He built some solid teams despite all the disfunction around him. Don't get mr wrong, he was a flawed character, but I don't doubt for a second that he gave it his all.

Not sure why anyone would cheer for the guy to fail, when he gave it 100%, never did anything malicious, and built teams better than I'd previously seen in my adult life (I'm 34).

Hope he gets it, and good luck, and would love to see him build a good team around Pickett!

Will it happen? I dunno, but I'm sure he learned a lot, and hope he succeeds. Wishing for the dude to fall on his face, to me, is weird. Yet here we are 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't wait for the announcement...........if Whaley gets the Steelers GM job some heads are going to explode on TSW.:lol:

Aside from a very small but vocal group of fans who absolutely hated the trade up for Watkins at the time...........Whaley could do no wrong in the eyes of most fans.........he was the boy wonder for most of his time in Buffalo.

The outrage at me when I called his 2016 "off the bus starters" draft "uninspired" was quite impressive.............now the same people think he is trash and claim he always was. :rolleyes:

I am a proud, charter member of that group. 🙂👍👌

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well he just went for a 2nd interview which means he is a final.  Good for him.  Still think he should be a Scout GM, not a complete GM unless he’s learned from his mistakes.

I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a very good GM in Pittsburgh but at the same time wouldn't bank on it.

But if he has full autonomy to make his own decisions there vs Buffalo where there were many other hands in the cookie jar so to speak he might actually surprise folks and he was seen an a rising star years ago in the same Steelers organization when Buffalo brought him alongside Nix in the first place.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.