Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

🤣🤣🤣.  His on camera interviews were always memorable

Just now, Limeaid said:

I think it would be okay as long as he was part of a good team including someone else doing interviews.

Now that's funny.  I basically said the same thing

Whaley does well drafting good players but not so well doing so with any regard to how they fit on the team...tends to have a lot of square pegs in round holes on the roster even tho they are good players.

On 3/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, Limeaid said:

Whaley worked for the Steelers for 10 years rising to be a pro personnel coordinator before accepting the Buffalo Bills job as Assistant general manager.

He is familiar with organization which is advantage to him. 

He unfortunately is a poor public speaker and should (already should have) lessons to help him.

He would be better as an assistant rather than "face" of franchise.

If he is smart he will not rule out being part of staff if he does not get GM role.

Whaley is not an unknowledgeable guy.   He was the pro personnel coordinator, as I recall, when he was with Pittsburg last time.   And I remember Peter King once viewed him as a rising star because Whaley was good at what he did there.

But it turns out pro personnel coordinator is the right role for Whaley.  He's not a great speaker as you point out.  His judgment is sometimes lacking.  And he seems to be a batter evaluator of pro talent than college.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

But it turns out pro personnel coordinator is the right role for Whaley.  He's not a great speaker as you point out.  His judgment is sometimes lacking.  And he seems to be a batter evaluator of pro talent than college.

There was some discussion at time that Whaley's college issues were due to scouting department which was canned when he was and then 3 or 4 scouts were rehired.  He would need a good director of college scouting and NFL front offices are all teams even if in some front offices a few people including owners may dominate and not listen to people they pay.

doug-whaley.jpg

“It was all Ralph Wilson’s, Buddy Nix’s, Russ Brandon’s, Doug Marrone’s, Terry Pegula’s, Kim Pegula’s, Rex Ryan’s, and Sean McDermott’s fault, they wouldn’t listen to me.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

doug-whaley.jpg

“It was all Ralph Wilson’s, Buddy Nix’s, Russ Brandon’s, Doug Marrone’s, Terry Pegula’s, Kim Pegula’s, Rex Ryan’s, and Sean McDermott’s fault, they wouldn’t listen to me.”

Am I going colorblind or is that snazzy windbreaker Clemson orange instead of Bills red? 🧐

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Hmm, I think that I’ve been saying this was a possibility for years? I took a lot of  heat from some of you for saying that. Just wanted to come back for my apology 😂😂😂

Well, Russ Brandon is the president of the XFL now, maybe you really were onto something back then.

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Hmm, I think that I’ve been saying this was a possibility for years? I took a lot of  heat from some of you for saying that. Just wanted to come back for my apology 😂😂😂

So what you’re saying is… you were “privy?”

I get that Whaley didn’t have a ton of success in Buffalo, but he set up Beane for success on his way out.  Between drafting Tre and acquiring the extra first round pick which gave Beane enough draft capital to trade up the following year, he deserves some credit.  If Whaley had drafted Lattimore at 10, there’s a very good chance that Allen isn’t a Bill and Beane is job hunting right now.  That may have been the biggest win-win trade in NFL history.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

I get that Whaley didn’t have a ton of success in Buffalo, but he set up Beane for success on his way out.  Between drafting Tre and acquiring the extra first round pick which gave Beane enough draft capital to trade up the following year, he deserves some credit.  If Whaley had drafted Lattimore at 10, there’s a very good chance that Allen isn’t a Bill and Beane is job hunting right now.  That may have been the biggest win-win trade in NFL history.

He may have been on the phone to Dorsey, but he had nothing to do with authorizing any moves, he was fired immediately after the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.