Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Buftex said:

He wasn't consistent, because ownership never gave him the authority that he should have had to be an effective GM. Doug Marrone was not his choice as head coach, and then he had the buffoon Rex Ryan foisted upon him.  He was put in an "end the drought now" position, without a QB. And, as much as I didn't really like Marrone, they were on the verge of breaking through, I think.  Then Marrone quit, the Pegulas hired Rex (Whaley did not want him) and they basically tore apart a very good defense (the strength of the team when Ryan took over),and had to start from scratch. Ryan was the de-facto GM.  He was a fool.  Whaley didn't get the support from either owner that he should have, in my opinion.  His last year, with McDermott, everyone know the coach was calling the shots. There were stories, even at the time of his last drat in 2018, that Whaley wanted to draft Mahomes.  

People criticizing his public speaking, I think, are mistaking his awkward speaking as poor communication...but I think it was the result of somebody having to say things he knew weren't necessarily true or accurate, to hide the franchise dysfunction.  He was doing what a lot of sports people do, trying to sound like he is saying something, without saying anything.  It's not a great position to be in.  Thank god the owners got things right with the Bills (and, maybe, finally with the Sabres?), but their inexperience with the league really showed through early on.

Beane is great with the media, and seems very honest... he sounds like a guy who has all the confidence in the world that ownership is behind him...and why wouldn't they be.  You just can't understate the relationship between the owner, GM and head coach being on the same page.  Whaley never had that luxury.

I really hope he gets the job, because I am really curious as to how he will do with good ownership. If he is terrible, at least it won't be on the Bills dime.

Because he is competent.  Competence allows for honesty.  As a GM, Whaley was incompetent in any and every way.   His only significant moves were bringing in 3 good FAs.  Terrible at picking coaches.  Never got a QB.  "ownership" wasn't preventing him from doing his basic duties. 

The pass he gets here is bizarre.  The NFL is notorious for recycling FO talent, yet no team has hired him in any capacity since he was canned.

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Straight off the bus though 

Day One Starters!!!!

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Nope. That couldn't be further from what i said.

None of that happened. Like literally none of it.

None of that happened?  So you’re saying the trade for Watkins was universally praised?  Everyone said it was a bad move to make without a QB in place.  

Second look at Whaley’s draft resume.  It’s not anything great 

19 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Dougie was born to be a pro personnel director … not so much a GM, but there were many levels of dysfunction at One Bills Drive during his tenure here, so I’ll give him a partial pass. 

He was a big part of the dysfunction though 

The team Marrone walked out on had a ferocious defense, and the plan was to fix the offense the following year. Unfortunately Wrex never left the building thanks to Russ Brandon, and he completely torpedoed the team in his Clemson helmet, his clown shoes, and his blind nepotism. Whaley didn’t have the backbone or the authority to prevent it, but he also never stood a chance. We’re better off without him, but he was never really given the reigns to make this his team. 

10 minutes ago, transient said:

The team Marrone walked out on had a ferocious defense, and the plan was to fix the offense the following year. Unfortunately Wrex never left the building thanks to Russ Brandon, and he completely torpedoed the team in his Clemson helmet, his clown shoes, and his blind nepotism. Whaley didn’t have the backbone or the authority to prevent it, but he also never stood a chance. We’re better off without him, but he was never really given the reigns to make this his team. 

This is a popular take from Whaley apologists.  Nearly all of the players on the 2014 roster were brought to Buffalo under Buddy Nix.  It was largely his roster.  

The truth is even before this moment there were issues under his tenure.  He did not have a great relationship with Doug Marrone which he’s partially to blame. 

He also had a big hand in drafting EJ Manuel and then missed on Sammy Watkins.  Part of the reason that Buffalo was 9-7 that season was because Marrone was certain that EJ was not a starter.   If you are going to say Whaley had a big part in the 2014 roster, then you also have to give him accountability for the EJ fiasco - which was handled poorly.

All in all, I don’t think you can give a pass to Whaley.  OBD was a mess and he was a big part of that mess.

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Terrible at picking coaches.

The only coach he actually ever got to pick was Sean McDermott, so that recrimination doesn't really belong on the list with the other more valid ones.

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

The only coach he actually ever got to pick was Sean McDermott, so that recrimination doesn't really belong on the list with the other more valid ones.

I dunno. I feel the Pegulas picked McDermott. Didn’t Whaley want Hue Jackson or something? 

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I dunno. I feel the Pegulas picked McDermott. Didn’t Whaley want Hue Jackson or something? 

McDermott was his first choice and he worked hard on selling him to the Pegulas.

• Like (+1) 1

Whaley could spot football talent. Unfortunately he never got a green light to swing a good QB. When you always draft between 9 and 13 the QB world passes you by. Switching to Jauron's Tampa 2 set us back as well. I don't think he was ever given the keys to the kingdom. 

Has he even worked in football since leaving Buffalo?

Edited by stuvian

Top picks: EJ Manuel, Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby & Shaq Lawson (Tre was McD's pick) + Doug Whaley & Rex Ryan recommend Whaley (well, maybe St. Doug doesn't). That together w/ our 6-10, 9-7, 8-8, & 7-9 records under him w/ 0 play off appearances and the complete gutting/overhaul of his roster by the next regime that HAS since had success, makes for such a strong resume, I have no idea why the Steelers wouldn't hire him. 

https://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2016/12/doug-whaley-a-look-at-every-pick-from-the-buffalo-bills-gm-001360789.html

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Dougie was born to be a pro personnel director … not so much a GM, but there were many levels of dysfunction at One Bills Drive during his tenure here, so I’ll give him a partial pass. 

No passes given here----he's an idiot, always was an idiot, and has no business being anywhere near a position like GM in the NFL.

He won't be the Steelers next GM.  Bank on that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.