Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s not that he wasn’t methodical…he just had no idea how to build a team.  Some of his picks were ok, but his strength was mostly pro personnel.  

I don’t think you want Whaley as GM

That's also not really true. If you look at his draft results, he hit on a ton of guys that had NFL careers. Not all of them got resigned here and most didn't turn into superstars, but they didn't bust out of the league either. What hindered his legacy is the QB position, as is the death knell for most GMs. I'd be very interested to know who said what in the decision to pass on Mahomes and Watson and whose call it was ultimately.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Whaley was better than he gets credit for here.  His biggest down fall was being forced to try and find a franchise QB in a horrific draft for QBs.  And never getting that right QB in place is a death nail in most GMs jobs.  

I think he could do well in Pitt.  Unfortunately for him, it’s another weak QB class to be hunting for a QB.  But at least they don’t have to take one this year if they wanna see what Mitch can do first.

So if Whaley gets the gig, if I was him I would avoid this years draft to take a QB early and target next year if Mitch doesn’t take hold the job this season.  

Death knell

You're not going to be taking down Octordle if you're conflating death knell with nail in the coffin.  So very gauche.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Whaley could identify talent, he didn’t know how to build a cohesive roster. If he has that figured out he could be a serious candidate 

It goes way beyond that. He couldn't build a cohesive organization. Way too much drama and in fighting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You've never seen Brandon Beane in sweats? Of all the things you could single out Whaley for, that's what you pick? Generally speaking, he was an extremely sharp dresser during his time here.

hi-res-9c6e9289a991e91fb43b3f47ff0e7936_

Don't have much of an impression of the guy, am a Wyoming fan that came with Josh Allen, but one of the few things I've seen of him from when he was here was the McDermott arrives at One Bills Drive video.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's also not really true. If you look at his draft results, he hit on a ton of guys that had NFL careers. Not all of them got resigned here and most didn't turn into superstars, but they didn't bust out of the league either. What hindered his legacy is the QB position, as is the death knell for most GMs. I'd be very interested to know who said what in the decision to pass on Mahomes and Watson and whose call it was ultimately.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

So you say his strength is the draft and then admit most of his picks didn’t turn out to be great players?  That doesn’t really sound like a strength.  I would say he was more successful at finding talent like the Lorenzo Alexander, Mike Gillislee, or Chris Hogan’s of the NFL than he was with drafting or free agency.  

As far as the 2017 draft, it doesn’t sound like Whaley had any input on the actual selections.  He was on the way out.  McDermott was probably making the decisions and it’s hard to fault him for not wanting to take a QB.

12 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It goes way beyond that. He couldn't build a cohesive organization. Way too much drama and in fighting. 

Yep.  100% on this.   Listen to beat reporters describe the atmosphere at OBD before and after McBeane.  Day and night.

Whaley was a bad communicator, very disorganized and unprofessional.  Yes OBD was a trainwreck but he was more of a problem that the solution 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I still think Whaley could be a good personnel guy in the NFL. He has an eye for talent. But from what I’ve seen of him I don’t think he has the right skill set to be a GM. I know he has to deal with all sorts of meddling from Ralph Wilson lifers so it wasn’t all on him but seeing how he operated vs. Beane… yeah. No contest.

Whaley is good very good with pro personnel. I think he’s also done an OK job of finding the type of players that a HC wants. That doesn’t make him successful everywhere, but I do think the Steelers with Tomlin is about as ideal as it gets for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Whaley is good very good with pro personnel. I think he’s also done an OK job of finding the type of players that a HC wants. That doesn’t make him successful everywhere, but I do think the Steelers with Tomlin is about as ideal as it gets for him. 

Basically any GM situation where he can be more of an scout/director than a real GM?

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Douggernaut will be throwing Tomlin under the bus by year one 

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

So you say his strength is the draft and then admit most of his picks didn’t turn out to be great players?  That doesn’t really sound like a strength.  I would say he was more successful at finding talent like the Lorenzo Alexander, Mike Gillislee, or Chris Hogan’s of the NFL than he was with drafting or free agency.  

As far as the 2017 draft, it doesn’t sound like Whaley had any input on the actual selections.  He was on the way out.  McDermott was probably making the decisions and it’s hard to fault him for not wanting to take a QB.

He had far better results in FA than Beane has had yet, go look at it and tell me I’m wrong.

49 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

His roster was the one McD got to the playoffs with, let’s not act like he didn’t put together a good roster.  He missed on a WB which is debated if he had a call on.   His track record was not nearly what people make it out to be.  I think he had a better D built than we have now if we are being honest.

The 2017 roster was a wreck that’s why it was a miracle they went to the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Rico said:

Nope. Didn’t trade for Jerry Hughes either.

He was the GM for the Tre draft, people want to blame him for Buddy Nix drafting Manuel and give McD credit for Tre, that’s BS.

He was the GM for the Tre draft, people want to blame him for Buddy Nix drafting Manuel and give McD credit for Tre, that’s BS.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Does anyone remember the Charles Clay contract that Whaley came up with ?

Made Star’s deal look like a steal..

Thank you for reminding me.  I had blocked that out of my memory.  My favorite part was when he bid against only himself and drove up Clay’s price. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.