Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’m betting Bills give him a new multi-year deal, with a lower cap hit this season.

Echoing what others said, I like the pickup. One of the better backups in the league. Knows he’s a backup, so might stick around a few seasons. Knowledge to share with Josh. Rapport with Diggs. If you need him for five games, he can win you 3 of them and keep your season alive.

Good get.

EDIT: Barkley coming back too, as the new Davis Webb practice squad guy? Sign me up. Players said he did A LOT for the locker room, team culture, organizing workouts and get-together. Etc

You have to wonder if Beane and McDermott think there was something off in the locker room last season given some of the acquisitions they've made, many of whom have been here before, and some of the players they've let walk, especially when you consider how out of sync and distracted they looked for the first 3/4 of the season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I like it. Plus it will give all the new Biils (Brownie) fans someone they are familiar with on the sidelines.😁

Then Allen has an off game and we get bombarded with "Keenum should be the starter!" 🤣

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, transient said:

You have to wonder if Beane and McDermott think there was something off in the locker room last season given some of the acquisitions they've made, many of whom have been here before, and some of the players they've let walk, especially when you consider how out of sync and distracted they looked for the first 3/4 of the season.

Great point. I agree.

Lots of “locker room superstars” coming back. 

And from the outside looking in, I agree that something seemed a bit off. Whether that was the case or not, it’s never a bad thing to bring back guys with great energy who have a positive effect on team chemistry.

• Like (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It means we had at least $6 million in cap space. My guess is an extension is coming. Would be nice to have backup locked up for a few years.

18 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Solid BU QB move for us.  5-6mill is about right and no beef on my end, Beane filled another gap.

17 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I'm thinking restructure and extension as well.  Get a solid backup for a few years instead of a one year rental and spread out the cap hit.

My only concern with Keenum as a backup is that I looked through his NFL history and he's been 100% a WCO type of QB.

For those who don't know, there are two main lineages of NFL offenses West Coast and Erhardt-Perkins, and while they both run many of the same play concepts, the verbiage used to describe and call the plays is very different.  While in theory, a smart QB should be able to map the new terminology onto his existing knowledge, in practice it's apparently a helluva lotta work, so veteran backups who bounce around the league tend to stay in one or the other system.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transient said:

I’m guessing Beasley and to a certain extent Star were a holes. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

He had a weird season with Cleveland last year. Coaching staff had a tough time deciding whether to sit an injured Baker, play Keenum, they even resorted to playing Mullens over both of them at one point.

They must feel just as confident with Mullens to fill in for a suspended Watson this season. Reading what Browns fans have to say and they are pretty similar talents but Mullens is cheaper.

Edit: Nvm, see they signed Brissett

Edited by Mikie's Bills

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My only concern with Keenum as a backup is that I looked through his NFL history and he's been 100% a WCO type of QB.

For those who don't know, there are two main lineages of NFL offenses West Coast and Erhardt-Perkins, and while they both run many of the same play concepts, the verbiage used to describe and call the plays is very different.  While in theory, a smart QB should be able to map the new terminology onto his existing knowledge, in practice it's apparently a helluva lotta work, so veteran backups who bounce around the league tend to stay in one or the other system.

Well at this point in his career, might be worth it to know how to run both assuming their isn't an extension/ restructure coming. Gives him a FA edge. 

If he is extended, not sure how much longer afterwards he will play already being 34.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it is valid, but typically with guys who have been around as long as Keenum, and around so many teams like Keenum, can pick up concepts pretty easily. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Any QB room with Josh Allen in it is the best QB room in the league. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.