Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

Keenum is a guy who can play and win some games, for reals.  A 7th round pick is nothing.  Good choice for a backup, good deal on the pick.

However, he has a $8.43M cap hit, of which $7.1M is new cash that the Bills must cover.  Unless part of his money is staying with Cleveland, I wonder how this is going to fit under the cap. (It's possible that Cleveland is covering the roster bonus, given the timing - or it's possible that it stays with Buffalo, not clear)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/case-keenum-10079/

image.thumb.png.10f5684a5c65e16a1e9675de10d79b25.png

Of note for those who don't remember, Keenum was the throwing arm at the other end of the "Minnesota Miracle" that defeated NO and sent the Vikes to the NFCCG vs. the Eagles in 2017.  So he's comfortable throwing to Diggs!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

One of the greatest endings ever.

I can't help but watch the throw and laugh at how spoiled we are with Josh.

That's a throw Josh makes flat footed and Keenum had to step into it lol...

Solid get for a 7th round pick... he's one of the best backups in the league. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It means we had at least $6 million in cap space. My guess is an extension is coming. Would be nice to have backup locked up for a few years.

I'm thinking restructure and extension as well.  Get a solid backup for a few years instead of a one year rental and spread out the cap hit.

• Like (+1) 8

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm down with the 7th rounder, but a $6M salary? 

It's right in line with what Tyrod and Bridgewater got. I'd put them all around the same category - although those two both have a REALLY good chance of starting or at least competing for a job with NYG or MIA respectively. 

I don't think you're getting Mariota or Winston for less? Winston is the starter in NO most likely. 

Brissett and Fitzpatrick are the only other two competent back up QBs. I think Fitzpatrick wants to start or go somewhere he may start. 

Keenum > Brissett 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.