Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

26 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Keenum is a great backup, Barkley a great backup to the backup.

Can we get a backup for the backup’s backup? 

It's altogether possible. Before Fromm was signed away by the Giants, we had 4 QB's in the building last season. Wouldn't shock me if there was a UDFA or a late round pick also on the Practice Squad. 

Wiki:

• On March 31, 2017, Keenum signed a one-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings.
  • Due to an injury to Sam Bradford, Keenum started the Week 2 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, completing 20 of 37 passes for 167 yards in a 26–9 loss.
  • In the next game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he threw for 369 yards and three touchdowns as the Vikings won by a score of 34–17.
  • Through Weeks 4–7, Keenum averaged 196 yards with a total of two touchdowns and two interceptions, but a record of 3–1 over the span.
  • During Week 8, he had two touchdowns and 288 yards against the winless Cleveland Browns to enter the bye-week.
  • After a Week 9 bye, Keenum threw for 304 yards, four touchdowns, and two interceptions against the Washington Redskins as the Vikings won their fifth straight game, 38–30.
  • In the next game against his former team, the Los Angeles Rams, Keenum threw for 280 yards and a touchdown, resulting in 6 straight games won.
  • On Thanksgiving Day, during Week 12 against the Detroit Lions, he finished with 282 passing yards and two touchdowns as the Vikings won 30–23.
  • He was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Month for November after passing for 866 yards with seven touchdowns and just two interceptions.
  • In 15 games (14 starts) of 2017, Keenum finished with 3,547 passing yards, 22 touchdowns, seven interceptions, and a passer rating of 98.3.
  • He was ranked 51st by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2018.
  • The Vikings finished the 2017 season with a 13–3 record, clinching the NFC North Division.
  • In the NFC Divisional Round against the New Orleans Saints, Keenum finished with 318 passing yards, a touchdown, and an interception. With only 10 seconds left in the fourth quarter, Keenum threw a pass to Stefon Diggs, who ran 61 yards for the game-winning touchdown, giving the Vikings a miraculous 29–24 victory.
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I still don’t know why they drafted him. WR Darnell Mooney went a few picks later. They could have drafted S Kamren Curl, or maybe RB James Robinson or punters Braden Mann or Tommy Towsend. But it is what it is. 

Ahhh yes - let's just cherry pick the handful of guys that went after him to support my poor argument. That's a great argent...I'm going to try now but with guys that support my stance. 

I think I know why they drafted him. WR Isaiah Coulter went a few picks later. They could have drafted S Alohi Gilman, or maybe RB Eno Benjamin or special teamers Blake Ferguson or Sterling Hofrichter. But it is what it is. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Good solid pick up. Now, I'm looking for help at CB, WR, and OL depth. 

Also need a RB after the McKissic fiasco and turning the page on Breida. And we'll need a Starting Guard if Ryan Bates is signed to a deal we can't or won't match.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Also need a RB after the McKissic fiasco and turning the page on Breida. And we'll need a Starting Guard if Ryan Bates is signed to a deal we can't or won't match.

I understand that in about a month, NFL teams are allowed to add a certain number of college players to their rosters, through some sort of selection process…some of the players are quite good…

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

I understand that in about a month, NFL teams are allowed to add a certain number of college players to their rosters, through some sort of selection process…some of the players are quite good…

No way, really?! 🙄

I was simply commenting on other spots we need to fill beyond what he listed. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

While we're talking about backup QBs, I wonder what would have happened if Fromm hadn't chosen to leave for the Giants last year. I said it was a bad move and I was right. He should have stayed here as he was waiting in the wings to be the long-term backup. Now, he's without a team entirely because he chased the temporary money in a really unstable situation.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I bet they still would have traded for Keenum. Bills knew what they had 

I agree Captain. Fromm was never going to be the #2 QB here. Maybe if he stayed they wouldn't be looking to add Barkley. 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

The Cap is a thing poorly run franchises say is what holds them back.   Its all make believe and how much money you are actually allocated to spend each year.  I think Buffalo might be closer to the actual liquid cash number than Cap number. 

It’s not make believe, it’s simply pushing cost down the road, or borrowing against future years. With the cap constantly going (pre c19, and again) it’s harder to notice, and not a bad strategy, but there is certainly a cost. 

49 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

i played baseball in highschool. just sayin

Can you beat Rich Eisen in the 40? That is your first test. 

He’s pricey for a backup, but if you need him you really need him. I hope we can run the ball better this year so we can win games without being so “Josh reliant” if need be. 

Edited by Augie

44 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I've since read that the Browns stated, that they would 'Replace Baker with an Adult', so all bets are off, with regard to Mayfield's fate..

Whats Progressive Insurance going to do?  Maybe they'll use Watson, I'm sure he'd be a great face for the company.

Maybe just like many of the Brown fans who are abandoning Cleveland, Progressive will do the same and follow Bills Mafia!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.