Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Whats Progressive Insurance going to do?  Maybe they'll use Watson, I'm sure he'd be a great face for the company.

Maybe just like many of the Brown fans who are abandoning Cleveland, Progressive will do the same and follow Bills Mafia!

New State Farm commercial with Jake introducing crime insurance.  Watson, OJ and Rae Carruth.  Watson asks Jake "Why am I here with these 2, I never killed anyone."  OJ then looks into the camera, winks, and says "Neither did I."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Wiki:

• On March 31, 2017, Keenum signed a one-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings.
  • Due to an injury to Sam Bradford, Keenum started the Week 2 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, completing 20 of 37 passes for 167 yards in a 26–9 loss.
  • In the next game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he threw for 369 yards and three touchdowns as the Vikings won by a score of 34–17.
  • Through Weeks 4–7, Keenum averaged 196 yards with a total of two touchdowns and two interceptions, but a record of 3–1 over the span.
  • During Week 8, he had two touchdowns and 288 yards against the winless Cleveland Browns to enter the bye-week.
  • After a Week 9 bye, Keenum threw for 304 yards, four touchdowns, and two interceptions against the Washington Redskins as the Vikings won their fifth straight game, 38–30.

This was 5 years ago. Ancient history, and meaningless. I still like the pickup, but 5 years ago I was young, handsome, had money, and a wife. 

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Didn't read whole thread but was it mentioned Keenum was Denver's QB for the 2018 season coming over from Minnesota 

Was he a reason they passed on Josh and didn't go QB in 2018? 

Possibly.  It was reported that Elway was only interested in Baker and Darnold and just took BPA when neither fell to them.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

No complaints here. Solid vet who can win games if needed to. I was warming up to the idea as Barkley being the back up but it couldn’t hurt to have a camp battle for that spot if they do bring him in also. 

Keenum is a much more accomplished QB than Barkley so it's hard to imagine there will be any camp battle.

Barkley will return because 1) he and Josh are good friends and because 2) though physically underwhelming, Barkley understands how to play QB so he's very useful in film study and game prep.

Barkley's a solid number three who in a disaster situation can do a fair impersonation of a competent NFL quarterback.

3 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

This was 5 years ago. Ancient history, and meaningless. I still like the pickup, but 5 years ago I was young, handsome, had money, and a wife. 

Meaningless?

Perhaps less meaningful but I fail to see how his track record as a QB is meaningless.

But maybe that's because I can still do everything I could 5 years ago.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

are we sure Barkley is QB 3?   How has Keenam been recently?  If he is 6 mill any chance he has to beat Barkley in TC?   Not sure when the money is guaranteed or goes against the cap? 

Keenum went 2-0 last year and was pretty good in Denver a few years ago before he got hurt. Keenum is a much better option than Barkley. It’s not really close 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Like that less, I can see Barkley as a cheap back up but I'd rather have someone developmental that we might be able to trade later at 3.

I like the thought but the reality is that developmental guy is not playing in practice much let alone games.  Allen is comfortable with Barkley and the Bills are all in on making Allen comfortable.  QB 3 for the Bills is a Teacher’s Assistant for the Bills OC.  

48 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Possibly.  It was reported that Elway was only interested in Baker and Darnold and just took BPA when neither fell to them.

For whatever reason, Elway wasn't interested in drafting a QB before the draft even began. It's been reported and verified by Beane that Denver and the Bills had a deal in place to trade pick 5 to the Bills. That trade was agreed on before the draft.  The only deal breaker was if Bradley Chubb was available.  He was and the deal was called off.     While it was never verified by the Bills, the leaked Bills QB board had the trade written on it with the Bills willing to move up to 5 for any of their top 3 rated QBs: 1)Allen 2)Darnold 3) Mayfield.  The Bills lucked out and got their top guy at 7 after the Denver trade fell through.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Great trade. I feel like Keenum could take us to the super bowl with our current squad if something ever happened to Josh. He’s not worse than Trent Dilfer is what I mean. 

He’s def better than dilfer imo.  Too bad it’ll be tough to get our D up to par with that ravens D.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ross Murdock said:

I suggest 5 years does not change young and handsome THAT much. 

No longer having money nor a wife seems to go hand in hand.  Sorry about that.  🤷‍♂️

I had a banking client who had a troubled marriage. He said he had bad news and good news. OK, start with the bad news……it’s going to cost $5 million to get divorced. The good news? I HAVE $5 million! 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

For whatever reason, Elway wasn't interested in drafting a QB before the draft even began. It's been reported and verified by Beane that Denver and the Bills had a deal in place to trade pick 5 to the Bills. That trade was agreed on before the draft.  The only deal breaker was if Bradley Chubb was available.  He was and the deal was called off.     While it was never verified by the Bills, the leaked Bills QB board had the trade written on it with the Bills willing to move up to 5 for any of their top 3 rated QBs: 1)Allen 2)Darnold 3) Mayfield.  The Bills lucked out and got their top guy at 7 after the Denver trade fell through. 

That's right.  Elway came through for us just like he did in the '91 season's championship game.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

are we sure Barkley is QB 3?   How has Keenam been recently?  If he is 6 mill any chance he has to beat Barkley in TC?   Not sure when the money is guaranteed or goes against the cap? 

Is Case better than Barkley? Yes by a mile. There's zero chance he has to beat Barkley in TC. He has multiple years with better stats than Barkley has had in his career. There's only been 3 years in his career that Barkley has thrown a TD. Twice as many INTs as TDs(22 vs 11), sub 60 comp.%, 142 yards per game & a QB Rating of 66. Got nothing against him, but IMO almost every QB in the league is better than Barkley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Also need a RB after the McKissic fiasco and turning the page on Breida. And we'll need a Starting Guard if Ryan Bates is signed to a deal we can't or won't match.

Very true. It seems like it's so difficult to field a team with little to no holes. 

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Like that less, I can see Barkley as a cheap back up but I'd rather have someone developmental that we might be able to trade later at 3.

Jake Fromm is available...he got a few starts in New Jersey last season...he looked awful, granted.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually disagree.  I think if Allen gets hurt but can return, it's important to have a guy who can win at least half the games for you.

Trubisky could do it - career 29-21 and good enough QB stats to correlate with winning in the presence of a decent D and some run game.

Keenum can too.

I don't think Barkley or Fromm or Webb could.

I see what you did there!

Me too!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.