Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

29 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I don’t think Fromm was ever going to be the long-term backup. 

I still don’t know why they drafted him. WR Darnell Mooney went a few picks later. They could have drafted S Kamren Curl, or maybe RB James Robinson or punters Braden Mann or Tommy Towsend. But it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My only concern with Keenum as a backup is that I looked through his NFL history and he's been 100% a WCO type of QB.

For those who don't know, there are two main lineages of NFL offenses West Coast and Erhardt-Perkins, and while they both run many of the same play concepts, the verbiage used to describe and call the plays is very different.  While in theory, a smart QB should be able to map the new terminology onto his existing knowledge, in practice it's apparently a helluva lotta work, so veteran backups who bounce around the league tend to stay in one or the other system.

I think that’s more relationship based than verbiage based in most cases 

Why not? We're not gonna be able to find a qb in the 7th round who can step in immediately if Josh gets hurt. He's an experienced veteran who has won a playoff game.

All of our late round picks just get poached from our practice squad without compensation anyway (Jack Anderson, Rachad Wildgoose, Jake Fromm)

• Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

While we're talking about backup QBs, I wonder what would have happened if Fromm hadn't chosen to leave for the Giants last year. I said it was a bad move and I was right. He should have stayed here as he was waiting in the wings to be the long-term backup. Now, he's without a team entirely because he chased the temporary money in a really unstable situation.

How would that make him look when a young QB on a practice squad has a chance to complete and start ? And instead he chooses to remain on a team’s/PS  in which he has no chance to be anything more then a backup, 

This seems like a luxury pick in regards to the cap situation and I don't understand why we are paying anyone more than league minimum when if all goes well he will never step on the field for a single play that matters. I would rather save the cap for a CB or a OL player. Trust in Beane but this one does not seem to fit. 

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

This seems like a luxury pick in regards to the cap situation and I don't understand why we are paying anyone more than league minimum when if all goes well he will never step on the field for a single play that matters. I would rather save the cap for a CB or a OL player. Trust in Beane but this one does not seem to fit. 

Let’s wait and see the exact price tag  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Last year we had money Mitch backing up Josh

This year one of the best backups in the league is backing up Josh

It absolutely fits

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The Cap is a thing poorly run franchises say is what holds them back.   Its all make believe and how much money you are actually allocated to spend each year.  I think Buffalo might be closer to the actual liquid cash number than Cap number. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He's only under contract for this season. I'd imagine that contract will end up getting reworked with an extension so we have that Backup role locked down for a while.

Gotta have a backup.  Keenum can play and has leadership skills.  Obviously, he doesn't have the same skill set Josh Allen has,  but not many QBs do, especially backup caliber QBs.  If Allen goes down, Buffalo will have to run a more controlled offense with less of a downfield passing component, and more short timing throws.    Obviously Buffalo is much better off if Allen can stay healthy.

28 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I still don’t know why they drafted him. WR Darnell Mooney went a few picks later. They could have drafted S Kamren Curl, or maybe RB James Robinson or punters Braden Mann or Tommy Towsend. But it is what it is. 

They didn’t have a crystal ball obviously 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they extend him for a few years. He shouldn't really be looking to start anywhere else at this point in his career.

I'm glad we didn't go for Fitz to actually play on this team... Major injury last year, baggage from the drought, and too much bad voodoo. Not to mention the predictable fatal picks in crunch time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.