Bills trade 7th rnd pick for backup Case Keenum

Hebert19

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Damn we have the deepest backups in the league all the sudden.

I think this all but confirms we won't be drafting any OL [/s]

I think they grab at least 2 still. Likely OG.  Specifically pass blocking OG.  Feel like we have the outside and middle set but if bates leaves we need the help there. 

Don't want to see Ford play unless it's preseason. 

35 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He is a magician, juggler, accountant, and football guy all wrapped up in one. Bill Pollian approves.

As long as, when he goes elsewhere, he doesn't leave the Bills in the mess Polian always did when he bolted, I'll be happy.

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He would have been drafted if he came out today. Back in the day they wouldn’t draft small run and shoot guys like him. But air raid sounds cooler. 

Does sound cooler. Except that it has the stench of Mike Leach on it.

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Cleveland FO is unbelievably stupid as Keenum was an excellent backup and should have played while BM sat out his injury last season.

Then, he should have started for 2022 should Mayfield have forced their hand and been traded.

The Browns are geared to feature a game manager at QB with a solid O line, run game. It wouldn't have cost them 230 million, 3 first rounds and half of their fans when they signed the sex fiend

Seriously?

• Like (+1) 1

The Browns paid Keenum, 34, his $1 million roster bonus due on Friday, and reworked his deal to execute the deal with the Bills. In the third and final year of his Browns contract, Keenum had a base salary of $6.1 million, his prorated signing bonus of $1.33 million, and the $1 million roster bonus for a cap hit of about $8.4 million for 2022.

But they restructured to make it more pallatible for Buffalo, and essentially purchased the seventh-round pick for $1 million.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/browns-trade-case-keenum-to-the-bills-for-a-7th-round-pick.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think they grab at least 2 still. Likely OG.  Specifically pass blocking OG.  Feel like we have the outside and middle set but if bates leaves we need the help there. 

Don't want to see Ford play unless it's preseason. 

If Ford has to play we will definitely need Keenum, and probably Barkley.

Quick note, if Bates goes I would try to sign Will Hernandez. Also, I am likely alone on this island, but I think Tommy Doyle would be fine at guard. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

47 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think I would have rather had Tyrod who is counting ~$2.7M then $~6.9M. Granted he might get to start at some point with the NYG. 

That's you.   No Thanks.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If Ford has to play we will definitely need Keenum, and probably Barkley.

Quick note, if Bates goes I would try to sign Will Hernandez. Also, I am likely alone on this island, but I think Tommy Doyle would be fine at guard. 

Oh, My.  I'll ask because you've explained that you know something about OL play, WTH do you see that leads you to think that?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Thank you for the link.  So the Browns paid the $1m bonus but we are on thr hook for th e $6.1m.  Reworking or extending Kernam will be needed.  I still like this trade.

Regardless of whether he sees the field or not, he's going to be a great addition to the team:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/browns-trade-case-keenum-to-the-bills-for-a-7th-round-pick.html

"Keenum was one of the most positive leaders on the team, and helped hold the players together through adversity. He was grateful to start the finale against the Bengals, even if it was a meaningless game.

“Like I said before, this is the National Football League,’’ Keenum said. “You have guys in this locker room, myself included and I can speak for myself, who we have been dreaming about playing in the NFL since we were kids, all of us. It is a dream come true to be able to go out there and represent not only the name on the back of our jerseys – our family’s – but the name on the front. There is a lot of pride. There is a lot of pride in Cleveland."

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's you.   No Thanks.

Oh, My.  I'll ask because you've explained that you know something about OL play, WTH do you see that leads you to think that?

Hernandez has some interesting traits in his game. I just think the Giants were a dumpster fire. I like his upside and he is actually very atletic, especially for his size.

In terms of Doyle, movement and agility as well as power in his game is fine. It is a very small sample of his play last year, but I like what I saw from him blocking wise. If Kromer’s addition means more stretch and zone stuff, he’d be excellent in there at RG. Almost all of his agility scores coming in are as good or better than Ryan Bates. He is a little heavier, but also a little taller. Having a 6-8 guard isn’t typically the norm, but there have been guys in the past and we have a 6-6 center and a massive QB. He only scored 24 on the bench, but when you consider his 35 in arms, he is fine there. I like him in there if they lose Bates. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Mary Kay Cabot presented some additional info on the Keenum contract

The Browns paid Keenum, 34, his $1 million roster bonus due on Friday, and reworked his deal to execute the deal with the Bills. In the third and final year of his Browns contract, Keenum had a base salary of $6.1 million, his prorated signing bonus of $1.33 million, and the $1 million roster bonus for a cap hit of about $8.4 million for 2022.

But they restructured to make it more pallatible for Buffalo, and essentially purchased the seventh-round pick for $1 million.

No word I've found yet on what the restructure looks like, but the Browns did pick up his roster bonus so the maximum the Bills owe is $6.1M, and said to be less

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.