From Dawg Pound to Bills Mafia - Browns Fans Leaving for the Bills

wppete

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Not if you only get one of the 22 accusers in front of the grand jury.

Again. An indictment is almost a slam dunk. You just have to have suspicion of a crime. There wasn't enough for the charges. He is innocent. 

Did this many people really fail civics and high school?

I'm done posting. Logging out and lurking for another year. Chao.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Sex crimes for a DA are a slam dunk.  Watson wore his welcome out there, too. Watson wasn't Epstein.

The court system trucks anyone on sex crime stuff. 

Sex crimes are the most under-prosecuted crimes in the justice system, especially when the suspect is rich or famous.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Again. An indictment is almost a slam dunk. You just have to have suspicion of a crime. There wasn't enough for the charges. He is innocent. 

Wow, haven’t seen you in years it seems.  Glad you’re alive and hopefully well.  Why jump into this god awful thread?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

“Better to burn out than it is to rust”

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not only not enough evidence to convict.... not enough evidence to give any reasonable prospect of conviction. That is why the grand jury didn't indict. Does that mean nothing happened? No, it doesn't but really what I believe is irrelevant. I believe that the justice system while imperfect is the best option we have for determining innocence and guilt and it is certainly better than the court of public opinion. I have spent most of the last 15 years of my career researching justice system models, looking at systems worldwide and advising governments of all political persuasions in the UK on justice system reform. I am deeply concerned about a growing trend in society towards mob mentality, driven by social media, and the court of public opinion with no checks, no balances, no objective standards replacing the justice system in terms of assessing guilt and driving punishment. 

And as to your final sentence, I say this honestly and sincerely, no I wouldn't. You either stand by your principles and your belief in the system or you don't. I do. However difficult the case. Indeed in a case in which a member of my family is involved currently where they have been left in an unfortunate situation (not a sexual assault  and I understand the particular sensitivity around such allegations) I have said to them that I cannot in good conscience support their position because from a pure legal perspective it doesn't make sense.

Respectfully, that is not for you to decide. That is for a court to decide. 

EDIT: And just to be clear I have said from pretty much the start of this story that I believe there is something to the allegations. But what I believe is not in any way a substitute for legal due process. A court of law decides on guilt or innocence (and on liability in civil matters) not the court of public opinion. On that point I am afraid I am totally immovable. 

The main problem with the legal system is that cases of sexual assault are notoriously difficult to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" so in this case I would give credence to the # of women who complained.  And probably for everyone who went public there are several who chose not to do so, in most cases for this reason. If it was a different type of crime, such as a robbery, it either happened or it didn't, but what happens between two adults is a different animal IMO.  It is a complicated situation.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

The main problem with the legal system is that cases of sexual assault are notoriously difficult to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" so in this case I would give credence to the # of women who complained.  And probably for everyone who went public there are several who chose not to do so, in most cases for this reason. If it was a different type of crime, such as a robbery, it either happened or it didn't, but what happens between two adults is a different animal IMO.  It is a complicated situation.

Maybe you just misspoke on the bolded part, because I’m pretty sure sexual assault either did or did not happen as well. The issue is, is there any proof other than someone’s word?

Edited by WotAGuy

Just ran into a guy at the hotel bar who started chatting about Watson. Was a former Clemson grad and was adamant that Watson was being setup.  Asked his proof and stated that “obviously “ the women ALL wanted a piece of his junk and got together and created this story. Hired a lawyer and to this day haven’t cracked.  All of this with a straight face and totally serious.  

In any such conspiracy of this magnitude it would be impossible to keep it from crumbling.  

he would t even agree that a kernel of truth could be in the womens stories. 

just such a polarizing story 

25 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Just ran into a guy at the hotel bar who started chatting about Watson. Was a former Clemson grad and was adamant that Watson was being setup.  Asked his proof and stated that “obviously “ the women ALL wanted a piece of his junk and got together and created this story. Hired a lawyer and to this day haven’t cracked.  All of this with a straight face and totally serious.  

In any such conspiracy of this magnitude it would be impossible to keep it from crumbling.  

he would t even agree that a kernel of truth could be in the womens stories. 

just such a polarizing story 

Was he hitting on the barmaid while spreading his truth?

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Was he hitting on the barmaid while spreading his truth?

Funny but unfortunately no. Just spreading the good word about sexually abusing young women and how it’s always their word against the rich abuser and that they wanted to get abused so they could take his money.  

Really pathetic story, because a Clemson guy who’s good at football just couldn’t be such a creep.  

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Maybe you just misspoke on the bolded part, because I’m pretty sure sexual assault either did or did not happen as well. The issue is, is there any proof other than someone’s word?

I am not sure why it got bolded.  My point was that sexual assault is harder to prove than other types of crime.   And if 22 women came forward with accusations it is most likely that there were more that chose not to pursue legal options.  If I was a female who was sexually assaulted I don't know if I would pursue it legally, mostly practical awareness of how difficult it is to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt."   If it was another crime, such as being accused of robbing 22 banks, would it be looked at the same way?  Again it is a difficult situation, trying to respect the innocent until proven guilty thing with the where there is smoke there is usually fire view.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry I still don't agree. It is because we have introduced a watering down of what were once considered the sacrosanct principles of an objective and fair justice system that we have ended up in some of this quagmire in the first place where we have mob rule on social media overtaking proper principles of fairness, justice and democracy. If we want to avoid further erosion of those principles then we have to defend them even in circumstances where it is uncomfortable to do so, and I have never once doubted that there was a disturbing pattern of behaviour with Deshaun Watson. But we can't say "the justice system hasn't found the answer we want, so in the case societal sanctions are justified because this is a special case." Trust me when I say every case is a special case to the people involved. You either defend the principle that the courts determine guilt and liability and can be trusted to apply the appropriate penalty or you don't because once you start making an exception then every case can be argued for one reason or another to be an exception. You have to defend it. Watson might be a piece of trash but he is innocent in the eyes of the law and it is the law who should decide. He should be free to go on about his business and his career.  

1000000000% correct on all points.  You hit on something very very important, the post-modern view point that everything is relative is what's ruining a lot of good that has been created by this American experience. It leaves no room for standards or principles to abide by, you can live life as you see fit an wing it.  If you "feel" something doesn't sound right, you can kick and scream and get people to follow and support you, most of them not even knowing what they are supporting and still supporting the cause. They just want to feel good and show people they are virtuous in a secular society.

The only point I have been making is that I don't know the full story, people on this board don't know the full story, but people want to bury someone because they want to believe someone. They don't want to stick to the principles that this country was built upon and has made us so successful. So they tear down Deshaun without any evidence or inside knowledge. This guy may be a big POS but I will withhold judgement, I don't know the whole story, just what the media wants us to know. Today's media has clearly lost their principles, so how can I trust them? 

He's been exonerated and I will, as with anyone who is exonerated, honor our principles and accept them.  We are a better more just country by far when everyone is held to the same standards. The sooner we get back to the principles this country were built on (and I personally believe they come from God), the sooner we will see ourselves flourish as a society and country again. 

Being that he has been exonerated, I hope he has a great career in front of him, except when he plays the Bills of course! 

3 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

So you would prefer to put an innocent person behind bars as a sacrifice? Not saying he is guilty or not, (just that he is not being charged so I will respect the process) but this type of thinking will put people behind bars who did absolutely nothing. 

Edited by HamSandwhich

25 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

1000000000% correct on all points.  You hit on something very very important, the post-modern view point that everything is relative is what's ruining a lot of good that has been created by this American experience. It leaves no room for standards or principles to abide by, you can live life as you see fit an wing it.  If you "feel" something doesn't sound right, you can kick and scream and get people to follow and support you, most of them not even knowing what they are supporting and still supporting the cause. They just want to feel good and show people they are virtuous in a secular society.

The only point I have been making is that I don't know the full story, people on this board don't know the full story, but people want to bury someone because they want to believe someone. They don't want to stick to the principles that this country was built upon and has made us so successful. So they tear down Deshaun without any evidence or inside knowledge. This guy may be a big POS but I will withhold judgement, I don't know the whole story, just what the media wants us to know. Today's media has clearly lost their principles, so how can I trust them? 

He's been exonerated and I will, as with anyone who is exonerated, honor our principles and accept them.  We are a better more just country by far when everyone is held to the same standards. The sooner we get back to the principles this country were built on (and I personally believe they come from God), the sooner we will see ourselves flourish as a society and country again. 

Being that he has been exonerated, I hope he has a great career in front of him, except when he plays the Bills of course! 

So you would prefer to put an innocent person behind bars as a sacrifice? Not saying he is guilty or not, (just that he is not being charged so I will respect the process) but this type of thinking will put people behind bars who did absolutely nothing. 

1. Laws are made by man, not God. It says so in the Bible.

2. I'm pretty sure the majority of people are NOT saying he should go to jail. They're saying the Brown's/NFL should not employ him. There's a huge difference. 

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

1. Laws are made by man, not God. It says so in the Bible.

2. I'm pretty sure the majority of people are NOT saying he should go to jail. They're saying the Brown's/NFL should not employ him. There's a huge difference. 

1. I’m not going to argue the Bible on the Bills message boards, it’s not the place to do it, I’ll just say your view is simple and not grounded. 

2. For what would be the reason why the Browns should not employ him? Other than they think he’s guilty? If they think he’s guilty, why would they not argue for imprisonment? I would. So I think that’s disingenuous. 

4 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

1. I’m not going to argue the Bible on the Bills message boards, it’s not the place to do it, I’ll just say your view is simple and not grounded. 

2. For what would be the reason why the Browns should not employ him? Other than they think he’s guilty? If they think he’s guilty, why would they not argue for imprisonment? I would. So I think that’s disingenuous. 

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at all of this.

If you're employee isn't convicted of anything, but you do your own investigation and decide to suspend him, then you should think hard about employing them further. He's free to find employment elsewhere. ***** "disengenuous"... give me a break.

Edited by LeGOATski

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

If you're employee isn't convicted of anything, but you do your own investigation and decide to suspend him, then you should think hard about employing them further. He's free to find employment elsewhere. ***** "disengenuous"... give me a break.

You're making no sense.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Are you suggesting that Roger Goodell and company are purveyors of virtue?  Is that what you're trying to say?  That they are above public pressures?  

The trade just happened and we’re only in March.  I understand why people are upset and want to express their anger.   That’s human nature.

Come September,  many of those same people supposedly jumping ship now will be right back rooting for the Browns.  Decades of connection to their team won’t be so easy to forget when there are actual games being played.  We’ll see all the “deal making” people do with themselves to continue forward.  That’s human nature too.

Some of those fans will stay away, but not as many as it appears to be now.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.