From Dawg Pound to Bills Mafia - Browns Fans Leaving for the Bills

wppete

Cleveland is desperate, that's the only way to look at this.  They had the overall #1 and got a QB that deserved to be a Day 2 pick.  They now give up three MORE 1st rounders to get a QB.  At the same time they're having trouble holding on to the talent they already assembled.  They still have Myles Garrett, two great RBs, and have traded for an aging Amari Cooper.  But not having 1st rounders is a killer in a salary cap era, where the key to success is drafting good players who are cheap for the first four or five years.  Watson is an excellent QB but the team is eating its seed corn now and will starve later.

Plus they're in a division with Burrow and Lamar Jackson.  And Trubisky who is a lot better than Chicago made him look.  Success this year for Cleveland is NOT guaranteed, and their future looks doubtful.

Desperation makes people and teams do very doubtful things.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I saw some of this on Reddit. Tons of Browns fans were posting about becoming Bills fans and their disgust with the Browns for trading for Watson.

I think, in particular, any female Browns fans will be inclined to leave the team. Tough to root for a serial sexual predator.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

I saw some of this on Reddit. Tons of Browns fans were posting about becoming Bills fans and their disgust with the Browns for trading for Watson.

I think, in particular, any female Browns fans will be inclined to leave the team. Tough to root for a serial sexual predator.

Big Ben got called names & had r*** jokes thrown his way his entire career over one public incident, so how does one just ignore the MANY women & dozen+ charges levied at Watson? People don't tend to overlook THAT many similar allegations. At some point, it feels like benefit of the doubt has been thoroughly burned.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Big Ben got called names & had r*** jokes thrown his way his entire career over one public incident, so how does one just ignore the MANY women & dozen+ charges levied at Watson? People don't tend to overlook THAT many similar allegations. At some point, it feels like benefit of the doubt has been thoroughly burned.

Yeah, a lot of them referenced Big Ben and how they continually bashed the Steelers for that, so now that their team has an even worse situation they can't be hypocritical and just accept it.

• Like (+1) 1

While I totally understand the reaction of Browns fans because the allegations against Watson are particularly unpleasant I also believe in due legal process. 

In the eyes of the law he is an innocent man. Let's see what happens with the civil process. They are likely settled out of court and we might never know the truth but as someone who believes in the legal process while recognising its imperfections I find the court of public opinion very troublesome. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Browns fans are leaving and becoming Bills fans in anger over the Watson trade. People are not happy, Can’t blame them. good article from Ryan Talbot. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/03/from-dawg-pound-to-bills-mafia-browns-supporters-leaving-fan-base-following-deshaun-watson-trade.html

Cmon over.  I always had a soft spot for Browns fans as they had it even worse than us during our drought.

the Browns better get a decent draft pick or two for BM.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I totally understand the reaction of Browns fans because the allegations against Watson are particularly unpleasant I also believe in due legal process. 

In the eyes of the law he is an innocent man. Let's see what happens with the civil process. They are likely settled out of court and we might never know the truth but as someone who believes in the legal process while recognising its imperfections I find the court of public opinion very troublesome. 

Definitely not an innocent man, just not enough evidence to convict. He's a sick individual. Read the sports illustrated article. Do you think OJ didn't do it too? If it was your wife or girlfriend or sister who was sexually assaulted I bet you would feel much differently

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There’s a HUGE “human” difference between “innocent in the eyes of the law” and not proven guilty in the court of law. OJ was found not guilty. 

You may dismiss “the court of public opinion”, which can be fueled by misinformation and prejudice, but there is also common sense. In this case there is a great of evidence to suggest that Watson is a serial sexual predator or at the very least a pretty bad dude. How anyone could dismiss that is beyond me. 

It’s human to arrive at the conclusion that a person not found guilty by the courts is indeed guilty of their crimes. On the other hand, as we witness too often, it is human to embrace cognitive dissonance to find a convenient work around to things they would normally find repulsive. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

I see a lot of people saying there's a lot of sleazeballs in the NFL. That doesn't make it right. Or that they are warriors so we can't expect them to act like choir boys off the field. Bad take.

This is not some random player on their team, this is their QB, the FACE of their franchise! He's going to be on the billboards and advertisements and commercials. He now represents the entire city of Cleveland. Gross. Think of how much we see Josh in the public eye. Now imagine if he was likely a serial sexual predator. It would be pretty uncomfortable to root for a team like that. But hey, as long as they win a few more games right?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Definitely not an innocent man, just not enough evidence to convict. He's a sick individual. Read the sports illustrated article. Do you think OJ didn't do it too? If it was your wife or girlfriend or sister who was sexually assaulted I bet you would feel much differently

Not only not enough evidence to convict.... not enough evidence to give any reasonable prospect of conviction. That is why the grand jury didn't indict. Does that mean nothing happened? No, it doesn't but really what I believe is irrelevant. I believe that the justice system while imperfect is the best option we have for determining innocence and guilt and it is certainly better than the court of public opinion. I have spent most of the last 15 years of my career researching justice system models, looking at systems worldwide and advising governments of all political persuasions in the UK on justice system reform. I am deeply concerned about a growing trend in society towards mob mentality, driven by social media, and the court of public opinion with no checks, no balances, no objective standards replacing the justice system in terms of assessing guilt and driving punishment. 

And as to your final sentence, I say this honestly and sincerely, no I wouldn't. You either stand by your principles and your belief in the system or you don't. I do. However difficult the case. Indeed in a case in which a member of my family is involved currently where they have been left in an unfortunate situation (not a sexual assault  and I understand the particular sensitivity around such allegations) I have said to them that I cannot in good conscience support their position because from a pure legal perspective it doesn't make sense.

25 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

There’s a HUGE “human” difference between “innocent in the eyes of the law” and not proven guilty in the court of law. OJ was found not guilty. 

You may dismiss “the court of public opinion”, which can be fueled by misinformation and prejudice, but there is also common sense. In this case there is a great of evidence to suggest that Watson is a serial sexual predator or at the very least a pretty bad dude. How anyone could dismiss that is beyond me. 

It’s human to arrive at the conclusion that a person not found guilty by the courts is indeed guilty of their crimes. On the other hand, as we witness too often, it is human to embrace cognitive dissonance to find a convenient work around to things they would normally find repulsive. 

Respectfully, that is not for you to decide. That is for a court to decide. 

EDIT: And just to be clear I have said from pretty much the start of this story that I believe there is something to the allegations. But what I believe is not in any way a substitute for legal due process. A court of law decides on guilt or innocence (and on liability in civil matters) not the court of public opinion. On that point I am afraid I am totally immovable. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

The Haslam's forced Browns fans into this moral conundrum and I'm not going to judge any of them.  I'd personally be out though because a Super Bowl victory with Watson as the face of the franchise/franchise QB would feel hollow.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

While I agree for the most part if it was one or two, but we are talking 22 women…. I find it hard to believe that 22 women are making this up don’t think that is reasonable. IMHO 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, gordong said:

While I agree for the most part if it was one or two, but we are talking 22 women…. I find it hard to believe that 22 women are making this up don’t think that is reasonable. IMHO 

I don't believe 22 women are making it up either. But what I believe, what you believe, what anyone believes is irrelevant. We do not get to assess guilt or liability. There is a system and a process for that. Once you start saying "ah yes but in this case..." then you open any case up to others taking the same approach because they believe in something different. The justice system is imperfect, but it is a million times preferable to the court of public opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.