Spitballing on RB target for Bills

MAJBobby

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What do you think of the pick up?

I’m meh about it.  For the minimum, it’s a good value and he can be productive.  I understand the pick up.  I think he’s a good insurance policy in case he can’t find another upgrade or the guys they like in the draft see scooper up.  I haven’t watched much of him in recent years other than the highlights I watched this morning.  The highlights were fun.  He’s still got some juice to make people miss and break.  

With McKissic, I was hoping he’d be a target on 3rd downs and catch 60 or so passes.  I don’t feel the same way about Duke.  I hope we give Motor the lions share of the touches (pass game included).  I hope we draft someone in the mid rounds to compete with Duke and let the best man win.  Moss may even beat him out for rb2.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

I’m not trying to say the FO doesn’t value wr, it’s how much they value them is what I’m alluding too. For instance, Beane has made it abundantly clear (in action and statements) that he values (besides qb) the defensive and offensive lines. In other words, every FO has their own strategies and areas emphasis. So i was trying to express that it will be interesting to see how this draft is conducted. We should have a chance at a great wr in the first round, but the last wr heavy draft, the Bills Embed made it quite clear the Bills had G. Davis targeted as a pick well before the draft (note: we did trade a first for Diggs this draft though). 

We of course need stud players and wr’s,  but a stud can come from any round in draft. I understand higher round players have better odds of being studs, but depth of a position group has to factor into the decision making process. If for instance, the Bills like many wr’s including guys projected until midway through the draft vs another position group that has less guys the Bills like does it make sense to take a potential stud wr vs a similarly graded potential stud at another position of need? It all comes down to several factors, evaluation of a player (ranking), depth of position in draft, team need at the position, team positional philosophy, personal traits/abilities. 

Like i mentioned before, I’d love a wr early in this draft, I just don’t know that it makes the most sense. The argument I’m making is in an attempt to look at/understand the bigger picture (without knowing the Bills FO inner workings) in regards to our team/draft. Having a young stud wr on our offense would be amazing, but that has to be balanced against many other factors. The Bills Super Bowl window is now, and this draft will be so fun/interesting to see which direction the Bills go. I personally wish Tre could play week 1, it would make wr or IOL the easy choice round 1 (in my opinion). 

Beane has also said that the passing game is the Bills fastball.  Meaning should be the strength.  Each year they added something - first K Benjamin, then J Brown/Beas and last year tried to upgrade- Sanders for Brown.  So far this year they've backtracked - gotten rid of Sanders and Beasley.

One advantage of going DL early in the drafts was even if the players selected were somewhat average, they were occupying expensive slots.  The draftees were taking up the $8-10M Trent Murphy, Q Jefferson, V Butler salaries.

Now, if they take a shot at WR, pretty high odds he will replace a Sanders/Beas salary/slot of at least $6M.  Riskier to go CB because if he is the backup, they will have only got a $1-2M position filled.  For $3-4M they can get a vet CB.  For $3-4M in WR they get junk, maybe a washed Beas.

They already made their Superbowl window move, now they need to keep the future in mind.  A stud WR would accomplish both.  A CB is based on a short term need.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Beane has also said that the passing game is the Bills fastball.  Meaning should be the strength.  Each year they added something - first K Benjamin, then J Brown/Beas and last year tried to upgrade- Sanders for Brown.  So far this year they've backtracked - gotten rid of Sanders and Beasley.

One advantage of going DL early in the drafts was even if the players selected were somewhat average, they were occupying expensive slots.  The draftees were taking up the $8-10M Trent Murphy, Q Jefferson, V Butler salaries.

Now, if they take a shot at WR, pretty high odds he will replace a Sanders/Beas salary/slot of at least $6M.  Riskier to go CB because if he is the backup, they will have only got a $1-2M position filled.  For $3-4M they can get a vet CB.  For $3-4M in WR they get junk, maybe a washed Beas.

They already made their Superbowl window move, now they need to keep the future in mind.  A stud WR would accomplish both.  A CB is based on a short term need.

Why is CB a short term need? Other than White, there is no outside CB worthy of a starting job on our roster. I'd much rather roll with Davis and Crowder than have Davis' snaps cut yet again and a cavernous hole at CB that teams can exploit. Besides, who is going to replace a 1st round CB in our starting lineup? Jackson? I can't imagine that. Besides, a 1st round CB has a much better chance of starting than a WR with Davis, Diggs, McKenzie and Crowder on the payroll.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.