Sal Capaccio Opines that Beane was acting "Emotionally" in signing Von Miller

BillsFan692

I think it's altogether possible that after McKissic spurned them and Chandler Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Za'Darius Smith, and Uchenna Nwosu all went to other teams, and fans started to get impatient while everyone was getting better - he put the pedal to the metal, upped their offer, and made sure he got it done. But it was already in the works and I don't believe for a second that McKissic alone was the deciding factor to pay Von. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I am confused... he would be OK losing out with the agent/player if the other team offer more, but here in this case, the agent/player went to the other team on the same deal and he's mad

at the other team?  Seems to me that is on the agent/player...

Edited by RuffMuff
spelling

1 hour ago, Patience said:

I think it did probably tick him off that McKissic backed out, like it would any GM.  I don't think it had much of an impact on his feelings with respect to trying to sign Miller.  

I would also guess that Beane, like most people at that level, has a strong ability to compartmentalize, and that he really didn't start feeling any emotions he had until the work of the day was over and done with, then it hit.

It's not quite the same but it's along the same lines as a First Responder or a medical person working an emergency, where they work the situation according to their training and if something really crappy happens during their shift, they push it aside and keep going.  But then after their shift is over, it hits them and they feel Big Time angry or sick at heart or whatever.

Just now, RuffMuff said:

I am confused... he would be OK losing out with the agent/player if the other team offer more, but here in this case, the agent/player went to the other team on the same deal and he's made at the other team?  Seems to me that is on the agent/player...

If the other team matched OR exceeded the Bills offer and the player decided to stay during the negotiations, before the deal was done, that would be fine - happens all the time.  The story is McKissic and his agent had a handshake on the deal with B'lo, Washington was informed and said "congrats, good luck!".  Should be a done deal at that point.  Then AFTER the news broke, Washington went behind the agent's back direct to the player and lied about what happened (said they had not been informed or given the opportunity to match) in order to get him to break his deal with B'lo and stay with Washington.

Meanwhile, Beane, believing he had money committed to McKissic, may have declined to match or beat Pittsburgh's very modest offer to Wallace.  So he lost both McKissic AND Wallace.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think it's altogether possible that after McKissic spurned them and Chandler Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Za'Darius Smith, and Uchenna Nwosu all went to other teams, and fans started to get impatient while everyone was getting better - he put the pedal to the medal, upped their offer, and made sure he got it done. But it was already in the works and I don't believe for a second that McKissic alone was the deciding factor to pay Von. 

Metal 

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think it's altogether possible that after McKissic spurned them and Chandler Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Za'Darius Smith, and Uchenna Nwosu all went to other teams, and fans started to get impatient while everyone was getting better - he put the pedal to the medal, upped their offer, and made sure he got it done. But it was already in the works and I don't believe for a second that McKissic alone was the deciding factor to pay Von. 

I would go further and say that McKissic probably had little to do with it,  but that losing out on Chandler Jones etc may have given Beane extra motivation to get 'er done with Miller. 

Beane knows that the 4 big pieces a team needs are QB, WR, CB, and pass rusher.  He also knows that truly talented pass rushers are about as hard to find as truly elite QBs, and despite positive things, he probably has a pretty good sense that Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa may become solid but they aren't gonna be elite.

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

20 minutes ago, RuffMuff said:

I am confused... he would be OK losing out with the agent/player if the other team offer more, but here in this case, the agent/player went to the other team on the same deal and he's mad

at the other team?  Seems to me that is on the agent/player...

I agree.  Even though McKissic wanted to stay initially, after not getting an offer until someone else gave an offer, he should have told them FU.  Yes, crappy that Washington did what they did, but McKissic and his agent also could have said no way then.

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

I agree.  Even though McKissic wanted to stay initially, after not getting an offer until someone else gave an offer, he should have told them FU.  Yes, crappy that Washington did what they did, but McKissic and his agent also could have said no way then.

Even if he believed the WTFs, and I mean why would you, he still chose to break his agreement with the Bills who wouldn't have been at fault in that situation either.

Hasn’t Rivera had a tough enough time? Here we come poaching players from a bottom feeding team that can’t even find a QB, when Rivera is partial reason why Beane is a GM right now.

I don’t actually feel this way. I’m just throwing it out there as a possibility for Washington’s behavior.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I honestly think he was emotional given who he was doing business with - it was his mentor, Marty Hurney. I don’t expect any deals with WFT anytime soon.

Wow.  Beane not happy.  Doesn’t usually call anyone out.  Good for him 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think it's altogether possible that after McKissic spurned them and Chandler Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Za'Darius Smith, and Uchenna Nwosu all went to other teams, and fans started to get impatient while everyone was getting better - he put the pedal to the metal, upped their offer, and made sure he got it done. But it was already in the works and I don't believe for a second that McKissic alone was the deciding factor to pay Von. 

I believe they targeted Von from the beginning.  Especially if he reached out to them.

Both team got through the initial free agent frenzy window, to the period you reach out to your own more.  LA tried, Buffalo was in his ear.  Buffalo was his choice based on money and Josh.

And yes, McKissic was not the deciding factor.  You don’t clear cap space and change philosophy to target a single guy that quickly.  McKissics contract $$$ had no impact on the Bills ability to sign Von.  Plenty of players to approach on a restructure. 

Did I hear Beane essentially allude to that being occupied with and committing resources to McKissic cost them Levi?

Listen to it again when he talks about Levi.  

Something to the effect of "you don't do what Washington did because you lose out on dealing with other players and the money spent.   

Edited by Big Blitz

11 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I am sure Sal has absolutely zero supporting evidence for this 'theory' yet he's floated it and now it's running wild. Sal seems to report it like it's a good thing: "Beanes emotions had him angry and he doubled down and got to work on signing Von Miller the very next day"  (After the JD McCissick crap). 

Even though sal seems to report it like it's a good thing, the obvious implication of making such a large decision 'emotionally' is that it's a bad move. So what do you guys think? Is Sal right and this was emotional reaction to missing out on JD, and/or possibly other issues like Chandler signing with Raiders or was it the right/smart move? 

Of course time will tell, but I'd like to hear your opinions -- I'm of the opinion that Beane is better than that and would not make such monumental decisions based on raw emotion.

Emotion in a decision isn't always a bad thing. Only if it makes you do something stupid.

Did Sal say anything about "raw emotion," or is that you?

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.