Matt Barkley Back? (Yep! deal not yet known)

DrDawkinstein

20 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

If true guess this team is supremely confident in Allen continuing to stay healthy for 17+ game season.

I agree with you. I don't think Matt has the ability to cover more than one game these days. I think his time is over. Love you Matt

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I remember the day Barkley lit up the Jets in NJ in 2018 when Josh was injured and the next day half the board wanted him to start the rest of the year.  

He may be a journeyman, but there are worse backups out there & the better backups who were former starters cost a lot more money.  

lol, he completed 15 passes.  It would be his last start in the NFL and it was 4 years ago.

He's no good.  really nopoint in bringing him in. 

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

There's not a whole lot available that wouldn't be. 

There are a few still available better than Barkley:

Fitzpatrick, Mariota, and Dalton are three I would much rather see signed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

The Bills have a defense led by Von freaking Miller. They could keep us close in games with even the best. In those situations we only need a serviceable QB.

That’s a great sentiment, but this team saw who they were in the playoffs last year. A bend don’t break D with a, to quote Von, “creature” at QB. Diggs is excellent, Davis has big potential and Dawson is good and on the upswing, but that O doesn’t have the explosive plays without Josh. A middling backup QB would not impress any of us and it’s not the position that a SB favorite should toy with.

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

There are a few still available better than Barkley:

Fitzpatrick, Mariota, and Dalton are three I would much rather see signed.

I would say it has to depend on the contract.  I know last year isn't this year but Dalton and Fitz both had 1yr/10m contracts.  Mariota was 1/3.5m which I think would be a good price.

Also, not saying he wouldn't go back on his word to be back in Buffalo, but I believe Fitz said he wasn't interested in signing with a team he played for before.  I don't have the direct quote but have seen others reference it on TBD before.

Edited by The Wiz

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Is this a serious question?

Fitz has thrown for 21,000 yards, 127 TDs in 79 starts on a bunch of crappy teams since he left the Bills.   

Barkley's entire career has been a complete zero--or worse.

There's is absolutely nothing you can point to in order to justify claiming Fitz and Barkley are even similar in any way.  He's really an awful QB.

I admit Fitz is a gunslinger and can make good throws, but he is what he is. Throws picks at the absolute worst times. I'm not against signing Fitz, I love him as much as the next guy, I just don't know if he can save a season if Allen gets hurt 

22 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I would say it has to depend on the contract.  I know last year isn't this year but Dalton and Fitz both had 1yr/10m contracts.  Mariota was 1/3.5m which I think would be a good price.

Also, not saying he wouldn't go back on his word to be back in Buffalo, but I believe Fitz said he wasn't interested in signing with a team he played for before.  I don't have the direct quote but have seen others reference it on TBD before.

Mariota has been my #1 target for backup QB for awhile now. How it's him we sign.

17 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I admit Fitz is a gunslinger and can make good throws, but he is what he is. Throws picks at the absolute worst times. I'm not against signing Fitz, I love him as much as the next guy, I just don't know if he can save a season if Allen gets hurt 

No one can save the season if Allen gets hurt, but someone like Fitz can keep the team afloat for a few weeks until Allen gets back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Compared to who?  Barkley??  Come on..

Also, who has a higher career INT%:  Fitz or Jim Kelly?

28 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This confirms Matt Barkley will replace Davis Webb's role in the QB room.

Keenum is solid choice.  Really don't see why they would also bring in Barkley.  He adds nothing.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Keenum is solid choice.  Really don't see why they would also bring in Barkley.  He adds nothing.

I think there's something to be said about improving locker room morale following how last season ended by bringing back guys that were universally adored like Matt Barkley, Jordan Phillips, and Shaq Lawson. 

Barkley was really close with Josh and I know he missed him. He's not someone we'll carry on our 53. He'll just be the third arm during practice and another set of eyes in the QB room while sitting on the Practice Squad. Davis Webb was that guy the past couple years. I don't see any issue with Matt Barkley being that guy going forward.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think there's something to be said about improving locker room morale following how last season ended by bringing back guys that were universally adored like Matt Barkley, Jordan Phillips, and Shaq Lawson. 

Barkley was really close with Josh and I know he missed him. He's not someone we'll carry on our 53. He'll just be the third arm during practice and another set of eyes in the QB room while sitting on the Practice Squad. Davis Webb was the past few years. I don't see any issue with Matt Barkley being that guy going forward.

well, you don't make roster decisions to bring some buddies back.  Josh is well  past the point where he needs some bros to hang out with to buck up his confidence.  This isn't Entourage. 

Keenum can impart more veteran knowledge to JA in a week than Barkley ever could.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

well, you don't make roster decisions to bring some buddies back.  Josh is well  past the point where he needs some bros to hang out with to buck up his confidence.  This isn't Entourage. 

Keenum can impart more veteran knowledge to JA in a week than Barkley ever could.  

He doesn’t need it, no.  We don’t need a 3rd string qb either…..but we’ll likely have one on the PS.  Dude said that barkley would be good in that role.  He’s right. He would and you know it.  But continue to argue with him even though you agree with him. 

Just now, NewEra said:

He doesn’t need it, no.  We don’t need a 3rd string qb either…..but we’ll likely have one on the PS.  Dude said that barkley would be good in that role.  He’s right. He would and you know it.  But continue to argue with him even though you agree with him. 

why? because he's been on 3 different PS last year?  Bring him in as a PS veteran?  Why?  

I clearly don't agree with him.  I said so.  draft a QB for the PS or get an UDFA. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

why? because he's been on 3 different PS last year?  Bring him in as a PS veteran?  Why?  

I clearly don't agree with him.  I said so.  draft a QB for the PS or get an UDFA. 

Yeah…..why did we have Davis Webb?  Was he a developmental prospect….or just a guy  that helped in the locker room and sat on the practice squad?  Let me guess, you think he’s a developmental prospect…sure

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yeah…..why did we have Davis Webb?  Was he a developmental prospect….or just a guy  that helped in the locker room and sat on the practice squad?  Let me guess, you think he’s a developmental prospect…sure

By all accounts, Webb is a great athlete, highly intelligent and was like an actual extra coach for the Bills---and they still felt they didn't have a spot in the organization for 2022. 

Barkley?....well he's pals with JA. 3 different teams last season found no value in his "locker room help" to be worth keeping on their PS. 

By your own logic, it would have made far more sense to keep Webb than to bring back Barkley.  Swapping those 2 makes a lot of sense to you?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.