Matt Barkley Back? (Yep! deal not yet known)

DrDawkinstein

• 2 weeks later...

Deal is already on Sportrac, seems to be $1.145M, with $125k dead cap (which I guess we eat, since he won't make 53 and will be cut/signed to PS?)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/matt-barkley-12379/

What I don't understand is his cap hit listed as $920k. Shouldn't it be $1.145M as well?

@DrDawkinstein

Edited by No_Matter_What

On 3/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Ok I said in another thread I was happy with all the moves Beane has made. Well this one makes zero sense. Barkley simply can't play. He is awful. If you want him in the QB room, make him a coach. No reason to carry 3 QBs. Allen and Keenum and a practice squad arm is all they should have on the roster. 

Barkley is the practice squad arm… I don’t think anyone realistically believe he will be on the 53-man roster. He’s there to provide some form of competition for Keenum and is very well-liked in the locker room. There’s literally ZERO harm to bringing him in. 

It’s really not a big deal… at all… 

People can say what they want of Barkley as a QB but I thought he brought much needed positive attitude and support for Josh on the sideline. He was always laughing and very engaged. I don’t recall Mitch doing much of anything on the sideline last year. This is not to say that his role is to be the court jester but I’ll bet that when Josh’s career is done he’ll make it a point to thank guys like Barkley for helping him in his transition to professional football.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Deal is already on Sportrac, seems to be $1.145M, with $125k dead cap (which I guess we eat, since he won't make 53 and will be cut/signed to PS?)

What I don't understand is his cap hit listed as $920k. Shouldn't it be $1.145M as well?

@DrDawkinstein

The NFL has a veteran program that allows certain minimum salary players to take a smaller cap hit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

@DrDawkinstein

Can he be paid that much on PS?  I thought they instituted a max salary 2 years ago

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.