Matt Barkley Back? (Yep! deal not yet known)

DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ah yes....2018 was his best year ever in the NFL!  1 single game played against the Jets.  He final start in the NFL.  only 4 short years ago--seems like yesterday.

But then, unfortunately, came 2019 and 2020. In week 17 of 2019, squaring off against those same Jets (he took 90% of the snaps), he went 18-35 for 232 yards zero TD and 2 INTs.  Earlier in that season he put up a 9 for 16/127 yards/zero TD/1 beauty vs NE.   He was so bad by 2020, that McD would not yank Josh even in the biggest blowouts until very late in the game--weeks 16-17, where he combined for 8 for 21 175 yards 1 TD and 1 int.

It's simple-- he's bad, that magical game 4 years ago notwithstanding.

Actually looks like he had some better games in 2016 per Wiki or did you not bother going back that far

Barkley was signed to the Chicago Bears' practice squad on September 4, 2016.[73] He was elevated to the active roster on September 22, 2016.[74]

Following an injury to the Bears' backup quarterback Brian Hoyer against the Green Bay Packers on October 20, Barkley made his first appearance as a member of the Chicago Bears, going 6 of 15 for 81 yards; he threw for zero touchdowns and two interceptions.[75] After Jay Cutler suffered a shoulder injury against the Giants, Barkley started the following week's game against the Tennessee Titans.[76] Barkley completed 28 of 54 passes for 316 yards with three touchdowns, two interceptions, and a 72.8 passer rating, nearly rallying the Bears from a 20-point deficit in the fourth quarter before losing 27–21.[77] Barkley earned his first NFL win the very next week on December 4, a 26–6 win over the San Francisco 49ers at Soldier Field. This was the Bears' third and last victory of the season.[78] He completed 11 for 18 passes for 192 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions, and a 97.5 passer rating.[79]

On December 18, Barkley completed 30 passes for 362 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions as the Bears nearly upset the Green Bay Packers, ultimately losing 30–27 on a last-second field goal. It was the most yards by a Bears quarterback in a game against Green Bay in the rivalry's history.[80]

Barkley struggled in the following week's game against the Washington Redskins, a 41–21 loss; although he threw for 323 yards and two touchdown passes, he also threw five interceptions, including on four consecutive drives in the second half. The five interceptions were the most by a Bears quarterback since Cutler threw five in 2009.[81]

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

His contribution to this team will be as a friend and confidant to Josh. There's about a 2% chance he sees any game action. 

there you go

31 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Actually looks like he had some better games in 2016 per Wiki or did you not bother going back that far

Barkley was signed to the Chicago Bears' practice squad on September 4, 2016.[73] He was elevated to the active roster on September 22, 2016.[74]

Following an injury to the Bears' backup quarterback Brian Hoyer against the Green Bay Packers on October 20, Barkley made his first appearance as a member of the Chicago Bears, going 6 of 15 for 81 yards; he threw for zero touchdowns and two interceptions.[75] After Jay Cutler suffered a shoulder injury against the Giants, Barkley started the following week's game against the Tennessee Titans.[76] Barkley completed 28 of 54 passes for 316 yards with three touchdowns, two interceptions, and a 72.8 passer rating, nearly rallying the Bears from a 20-point deficit in the fourth quarter before losing 27–21.[77] Barkley earned his first NFL win the very next week on December 4, a 26–6 win over the San Francisco 49ers at Soldier Field. This was the Bears' third and last victory of the season.[78] He completed 11 for 18 passes for 192 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions, and a 97.5 passer rating.[79]

On December 18, Barkley completed 30 passes for 362 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions as the Bears nearly upset the Green Bay Packers, ultimately losing 30–27 on a last-second field goal. It was the most yards by a Bears quarterback in a game against Green Bay in the rivalry's history.[80]

Barkley struggled in the following week's game against the Washington Redskins, a 41–21 loss; although he threw for 323 yards and two touchdown passes, he also threw five interceptions, including on four consecutive drives in the second half. The five interceptions were the most by a Bears quarterback since Cutler threw five in 2009.[81]

yes I did reference his 1-5 stint in Chicago.  My data is from pro football reference.  

note how in your copied wiki nearly every sentence ends in “and 2/3 interceptions”

come on lol

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

there you go

yes I did reference his 1-5 stint in Chicago.  My data is from pro football reference.  

note how in your copied wiki nearly every sentence ends in “and 2/3 interceptions”

come on lol

So who should they have signed as the #3 QB for similar money who'd be a better asset to the Bills this coming season?

Barkley knows Allen and knows the offense.  If they are in a game where Allen is struggling and things aren't working, he has the ability to say to Allen, "How about you try this".  He likely can help that way more than even Keenan can based on his knowledge of Allen and what his likes and dislikes are.  What's a rookie going to say to help, " Can I bring you a clean towel?"

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So who should they have signed as the #3 QB for similar money who'd be a better asset to the Bills this coming season?

Barkley knows Allen and knows the offense.  If they are in a game where Allen is struggling and things aren't working, he has the ability to say to Allen, "How about you try this".  He likely can help that way more than even Keenan can based on his knowledge of Allen and what his likes and dislikes are.  What's a rookie going to say to help, " Can I bring you a clean towel?"

A) we don't know the Barkley contract yet, so I don't know what similar money is.

B) I've already posted what I felt would be a better way to go.  scroll up.

C) There is no imaginable scenario where Josh Allen will be struggling to the point where he has to turn to a guy with 2 career starts in career for help.  In such an unlikely case, Keenum has already seen and actually played against orders of magnitude more defenses and offenses than Barkley has ever witnessed on tape.  I'm assuming you're joking with that one.  

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A) we don't know the Barkley contract yet, so I don't know what similar money is.

B) I've already posted what I felt would be a better way to go.  scroll up.

C) There is no imaginable scenario where Josh Allen will be struggling to the point where he has to turn to a guy with 2 career starts in career for help.  In such an unlikely case, Keenum has already seen and actually played against orders of magnitude more defenses and offenses than Barkley has ever witnessed on tape.  I'm assuming you're joking with that one.  

Yes you said develop a rookie.  So on one hand you're complaining how the Bills signed Barkley to make Allen happy, we're running a day care here that he'll add no value to the team, but then you want to bring in a rookie to develop.  How exactly is that helping the Bills?  If the guy ever got good, he'd be gone helping another team so nothing for the Bills there. Likely he's on PS so no draft picks coming for him.  But even that's very low chance of happening as he's never going to play except due to injury to both Allen and Keenan.  If that were to happen think in 2022 and likely even 2023, Bills would still be better with Barkley playing than 5th or 6th round rookie.

You don't think Barkley on the sideline when the offense is out can in any way help Allen with play suggestions?  I hope you're joking on that one!  Just because he only has 2 starts?  He's been around and learned, most college stars flunk out in the NFL do to not having the physical skills, not because they don't understand the game.

12 hours ago, eball said:

If I have a nit to pick with this, it's only that I think it is always worth it to bring a true developmental QB in, even when you have an established star.  Those guys can grow into trade ammo in a couple of years.  They're obviously not getting that from Barkley.

Still, it's obvious that Barkley was well-liked in the locker room and I'm not going to get upset over a move that continues to keep Josh comfortable.  Signing Barkley will have no negative impact whatsoever on the football field.

I think also they take development on the practice squad very seriously, and I'm assuming that the practice squad rules from '21 will remain for another season (or indefinitely), and Barkley will land on the PS. You look at what they did with guys like Boettger, and Dane Jackson, and have continued to do with Hodgins. Pretty useful to have a decent #3 who knows the system.

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

His highest QB Rating, by far, was the 2018 game with the Bills. It's the only game he had in his career with a QB Rating over 100(117.4).

He did have 3 games with over 300 yards in 2016, but he also threw a combined 10 interceptions in those games. I wouldn't consider those better games.

5 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He barley played in that new england game you're talking about. Lol

He's a lot better than people give him credit for IMO. 

We have seen Matt Barkley start only one time with the 1st team offense and a full week of practice and he was shockingly good in that game.  In that 4th quarter vs. NE (the last Josh horrendous game, imo) I remember a pass from Matt to Zay Jones in the EZ for the lead that Zay did not make a good play on.  On one of Josh's 3 ints earlier in that game Zay had a similar poor reaction to the ball.  He was traded shortly thereafter.

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes you said develop a rookie.  So on one hand you're complaining how the Bills signed Barkley to make Allen happy, we're running a day care here that he'll add no value to the team, but then you want to bring in a rookie to develop.  How exactly is that helping the Bills?  If the guy ever got good, he'd be gone helping another team so nothing for the Bills there. Likely he's on PS so no draft picks coming for him.  But even that's very low chance of happening as he's never going to play except due to injury to both Allen and Keenan.  If that were to happen think in 2022 and likely even 2023, Bills would still be better with Barkley playing than 5th or 6th round rookie.

You don't think Barkley on the sideline when the offense is out can in any way help Allen with play suggestions?  I hope you're joking on that one!  Just because he only has 2 starts?  He's been around and learned, most college stars flunk out in the NFL do to not having the physical skills, not because they don't understand the game.

Day care?  lol

Yes, a later round rookie.  Lots of teams do this instead of adding another journeyman scrub to the QB room.

Case Keenum's experience trumps Barkley's.  He will be on the sideline, along with Ken Dorsey and Joe Brady.  

When the D is on the field, Josh isn't going to walk past those 3 guys to ask Barkley for suggestions. 

8 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He barley played in that new england game you're talking about. Lol

He's a lot better than people give him credit for IMO. 

based on what?

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Day care?  lol

Yes, a later round rookie.  Lots of teams do this instead of adding another journeyman scrub to the QB room.

Case Keenum's experience trumps Barkley's.  He will be on the sideline, along with Ken Dorsey and Joe Brady.  

When the D is on the field, Josh isn't going to walk past those 3 guys to ask Barkley for suggestions. 

based on what?

Agree Keenan has much more experience than Barkley, but doesn't know Allen like Barkley does and what his likes and dislikes are WRT play calling.  If he sticks around for the two full years he'll get there, but not initially.

Very likely either Dorsey or Brady will be up in the booth so probably both won't be on the sideline.  Sure he will talk with them but he'll also talk with Barkley and get meaningful help from him.  You often saw D Webb talking with Allen.   You remember Webb, the guy with one career start!!  But yet they would talk and he got lots of credit for helping Allen, talk of making him a coach.  Somehow he was able to help Allen, even though he basically never played the game, much less than Barkley and had similar college careers.  So how did it work for Webb but the same won't happen with Barkley?

Sure lots of teams add a rookie, but more often when they're not sure if the starter is really the long term answer Giants and Fish are good places for that.  But how would that help the Bills  compared to a guy who knows the playbook inside and out and knows Allen.  You talk about how this was a dumb move to bring in a Scrub, doesn't help the team at all, it's just to make Allen happy, but then you want instead to bring in a low round rookie who'll do much less to help the team.  The only help at all would be to himself.

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

His contribution to this team will be as a friend and confidant to Josh. There's about a 2% chance he sees any game action. 

Exactly this 👆. This is a great move for Josh. Gets one of his good buddies back and Barkley will serve as the Davis Webb position. Love this, I’m sure it’s for vet minimum. 

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree Keenan has much more experience than Barkley, but doesn't know Allen like Barkley does and what his likes and dislikes are WRT play calling.  If he sticks around for the two full years he'll get there, but not initially.

Very likely either Dorsey or Brady will be up in the booth so probably both won't be on the sideline.  Sure he will talk with them but he'll also talk with Barkley and get meaningful help from him.  You often saw D Webb talking with Allen.   You remember Webb, the guy with one career start!!  But yet they would talk and he got lots of credit for helping Allen, talk of making him a coach.  Somehow he was able to help Allen, even though he basically never played the game, much less than Barkley and had similar college careers.  So how did it work for Webb but the same won't happen with Barkley?

Sure lots of teams add a rookie, but more often when they're not sure if the starter is really the long term answer Giants and Fish are good places for that.  But how would that help the Bills  compared to a guy who knows the playbook inside and out and knows Allen.  You talk about how this was a dumb move to bring in a Scrub, doesn't help the team at all, it's just to make Allen happy, but then you want instead to bring in a low round rookie who'll do much less to help the team.  The only help at all would be to himself.

Josh knows the playbook better than all of them.  He's highly intelligent and learns quickly, by all accounts. Also, Webb's impact seemed, by accounts, seemed to be off the game day field.

The logic that a team with a shaky starter would be better off with a rookie QB3 as opposed to some sort of  QB guru/vet at 3 doesn't work for me.

i guess I really don't see how Allen at this point needs so much input form so many people--especially during the game.  If Barkley was so valuable as this Josh whisperer, they wouldn't have let him go a year ago, right?  Keenum has actually faced every type of Defense for real. I'm pretty sure he will be the guy sitting next to Josh looking at the ipad when the D is on the field.

Barkley will be waving his coat.

Gotta imagine it’s a vet min deal.  He’s not exactly an in demand player.  Good person to teach the youngsters on PS and to be an emergency use guy.  If Josh goes down for a week, Keenum starts, but we have somebody in house to back up, solid move.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ok I said in another thread I was happy with all the moves Beane has made. Well this one makes zero sense. Barkley simply can't play. He is awful. If you want him in the QB room, make him a coach. No reason to carry 3 QBs. Allen and Keenum and a practice squad arm is all they should have on the roster. 

I like it.. "back in the day "chemistry in "the room" was not invented yet.. seems like it plays quite the part in the make-up, psychology , of the team nowadays. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.