Matt Barkley Back? (Yep! deal not yet known)

DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I wonder what numbers he and Keenum will wear? Nothing yet on the Bills official website and Stevenson already has #5. Marquez should pit them against one another and sell it to the highest bidder. 😂

I don’t think either guy cares, both were #7 in college. 7 and 10 would look rad 

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just hope he doesn't do that disturbing thing with his jaw during the 12 Days of Christmas video.  

That. Was. Brutal.

image.png.a4d58d99529439e386cf15a0ce8ffe59.png

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t think either guy cares, both were #7 in college. 7 and 10 would look rad 

That's no fun. Let's see these two get into a good old fashioned slap fight.Three Stooges GIF by IFC

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The culture was just fine after they Bills had no use for Barkley last year.  Now the culture suddenly needs Barkley?

I'm not sure I agree with that. Beasley and Lotulelei are gone presumably because they showed that they care about things other than football. There was a lot of smoke throughout the year of some turmoil in the locker room. So this offseason they bring back Lawson, Phillips, and Barkley, guys that loved their time here. It's possible they are trying to get some better culture fits in the locker room.

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, I’m admitting that one of the reasons he’s being brought in is because of locker room ambience.  I’m not admitting that that is the ONLY reason.  Like you are.  Hence the L

You've ruled out his athletic ability as a QB.  His value as a dissector of film is supplanted by the vastly superior experience of Keenum.  So that leaves the culture buddy experience.  There's no 4th thing.

54 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm sure we'll bring someone else in for training camp maybe they'll win the job.

It would make more sense:

Superstar young QB

Solid vet with significant starting and winning experience all over the league

Guy with unknown or untapped potential 

vs.

Superstar young QB

Solid vet with significant starting and winning experience all over the league

Career scrub with almost no real game experience 

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. Beasley and Lotulelei are gone presumably because they showed that they care about things other than football. There was a lot of smoke throughout the year of some turmoil in the locker room. So this offseason they bring back Lawson, Phillips, and Barkley, guys that loved their time here. It's possible they are trying to get some better culture fits in the locker room.

Yeah Star was an easy cut because he hardly played and was no longer playing that well.  Lawson and Phillips may be back because these young D line draftees are pretty raw still. 

If Barkley's value in the locker room was so high, why would they have let him go a year ago?  Why would 3 more teams let him go in the same year? He was of no value to their locker rooms?  Their QB rooms?   

Logic tells me it's more likely a scenario where Josh, being a great guy, asked his friend to get a bone tossed his way and come back to the party in Buffalo.  Beane said, "sure Josh".

Not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.  

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Can't do too much better for a third string QB. The help he provides in the locker room is also a nice bonus you don't get with many third string QB's.

?

"here's your towel, bro.  would you like some cologne or a stick of gum?"

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

?

"here's your towel, bro.  would you like some cologne or a stick of gum?"

Don't underestimate the power of cohesion in the locker room. These guys are together from late July to the beginning of January for the regular season and possibly another 5ish weeks for a playoff run. Having people that are liked in the locker room makes cohesion better. It's not a major impact but it is an impact. 

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Don't underestimate the power of cohesion in the locker room. These guys are together from late July to the beginning of January for the regular season and possibly another 5ish weeks for a playoff run. Having people that are liked in the locker room makes cohesion better. It's not a major impact but it is an impact. 

Lawson and Phillips can play (doubt Bills will carry 3 QBs).  In fact they may become leaders, along with Miller, on this D.  So it's easy to make such an argument for those two.

I just don't think Barkley is in that category of locker room leader.  Nice guy?  Probably.  Friend of Josh?  Clearly.  Locker room personality--as I have said, that's about it.  I don't get the impression the room is that chaotic or needy.  So....I think there is better value finding a guy in the draft.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The culture was just fine after they Bills had no use for Barkley last year.  Now the culture suddenly needs Barkley?

That's literally what he is.  GM.

keep swinging

Barkey was let go because they had Trubisky and Webb (and even Fromm for half the season) backing up the QB position, all of which are now gone.  There was better talent there.

IMO Barkley was brought back because he knows the offense and if due to injuries needed to play, could step in.  Would it look good, would they win, likely would have to be against a weaker team to have a shot.  Admittedly not setting the bar very high, but how many teams have a 3rd string QB as good as Barkley, doubt many.

The one thing the Bills don't need is a development QB as Allen's not going anywhere for a long time, so why not bring in a vet instead as the #3?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Barkey was let go because they had Trubisky and Webb (and even Fromm for half the season) backing up the QB position, all of which are now gone.  There was better talent there.

IMO Barkley was brought back because he knows the offense and if due to injuries needed to play, could step in.  Would it look good, would they win, likely would have to be against a weaker team to have a shot.  Admittedly not setting the bar very high, but how many teams have a 3rd string QB as good as Barkley, doubt many.

The one thing the Bills don't need is a development QB as Allen's not going anywhere for a long time, so why not bring in a vet instead as the #3?

Barkley completed 15 passes in a game 2 years ago.  That's it.  He has 2 career wins and twice as many ints as TDs.  He's bad. 

Webb was an UDFA who bounced around a while----and he was, as you say, better talent than Barkley.  Webb wasn't hard to find.  

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Matt Barkley Back? (Yep! deal not yet known)
20 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

How can you say he's bad when his playing time has been so limited?

How many games did he actually start with Buffalo? I believe just one game?

And in the game he started he threw for 232 yards, had 2 TD's 0 Int's and had a rating of 117.

That's pretty solid for a backup. 

Ah yes....2018 was his best year ever in the NFL!  1 single game played against the Jets.  He final start in the NFL.  only 4 short years ago--seems like yesterday.

But then, unfortunately, came 2019 and 2020. In week 17 of 2019, squaring off against those same Jets (he took 90% of the snaps), he went 18-35 for 232 yards zero TD and 2 INTs.  Earlier in that season he put up a 9 for 16/127 yards/zero TD/1 beauty vs NE.   He was so bad by 2020, that McD would not yank Josh even in the biggest blowouts until very late in the game--weeks 16-17, where he combined for 8 for 21 175 yards 1 TD and 1 int.

It's simple-- he's bad, that magical game 4 years ago notwithstanding.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So who you going to sign as a the #3 who's clearly better than Barkley and would sign for about the same amount of money?

Saw your post above to about finding someone better in the draft.  Unless you'd like to see the Bills use their 1st round pick on the #3 QB, I think it's pretty laughable if you think you're going to find someone that could play better than Barkley for the 2022 season.  Maybe if they get real lucky a guy they draft in the 5th or 6th round might be better than Barkley in 2 to 3 years.  Even if they drafted him in the 1st round, with this years QB class, you'd still be lucky if he turn out better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.